Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Tender Wire No Voltage  (Read 3708 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
Battery Tender Wire No Voltage
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »

Does anyone know where the factory battery tender wire is connected to power on my CVO Street Glide? Took side cover off and it runs in to the main harness and there is is no voltage on it and apparently is not charging the battery that is dead when unloading at Myrtle Beach.

Thanks,
Donnie

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Battery Tender Wire No Voltage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »

Usually they direct wire to the +/- terminals of the battery.  The + lead has a 10A fuse.

Also tenders will not charge a dead battery, only keep them capped off after they're charge, or at least to a certain level of charge.

I tried one time to "charge" a little stronger by plugging into the tender lead on the bike and blew the 10A fuse.  I didn't know this and later found out that the tender was no keeping up my battery.

On very new bikes, they "may" have different means to hooking up the tender leads, but I'm sure it will still have an inline fuse of some sort.

Trace it down further, but you'll probably have to be under the seat to get full access to the harness.

Good luck... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »

Does anyone know where the factory battery tender wire is connected to power on my CVO Street Glide? Took side cover off and it runs in to the main harness and there is is no voltage on it and apparently is not charging the battery that is dead when unloading at Myrtle Beach.

Thanks,
Donnie

Help people to help you by including full information on the bike.  Battery tender connectors are different depending on model year.

If you have a Rushmore bike, the battery tender connection is part of the bikes wiring harness and is protected by the P&A fuse in the fuse box.  Check the fuse.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TZG15FLHXSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

Look at your fuses. It's the accessory fuse if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

If memory serves... on my 2011 SEUC, the battery tender lead actually has two inline fuses (one near each end).  Both were 10amp.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

harleyrules

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 SE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 Low Rider S
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »

You trailered your bike to Myrtle Beach, does your bike have the Harley security system? I believe it does.  If so, did you put it in trailer mode before you left. If not, you will have a dead battery because the alarm would be going off the whole time it is being trailered.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »

Jerry and Harley Rules hit the on the problems. I did trailer my bike not knowing about the tow mode setting. My purchase dealer is not a very good one customer service wise! 

The battery was dead I discovered after unloading heavy rain set in and could not load bike without it running being desperate tried to jump my H.D. off and this likely blew the the later discovered P & A fuse that effected the charging pigtai`s voltage and also caused the front speakers to be inoperative.

Charging lead does go into the main harness and I was afraid that I created some serious issues by trying to jump the bike off. Note to self never jump start a `15 Harley. Thanks for your help guys much appreciated!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Jerry and Harley Rules hit the on the problems. I did trailer my bike not knowing about the tow mode setting. My purchase dealer is not a very good one customer service wise! 

The battery was dead I discovered after unloading heavy rain set in and could not load bike without it running being desperate tried to jump my H.D. off and this likely blew the the later discovered P & A fuse that effected the charging pigtai`s voltage and also caused the front speakers to be inoperative.

Charging lead does go into the main harness and I was afraid that I created some serious issues by trying to jump the bike off. Note to self never jump start a `15 Harley. Thanks for your help guys much appreciated!

If you used the battery tender connector to jump the bike, that would blow the fuse no matter which model year bike you had.  The older tender harnesses that attached directly to the battery also had an inline fuse, and it was rated lower than the one in your bike (7 amp versus 15).

Check your owners manual to be sure, but I think there should be something in it about jump starting.  For those who don't want to remove the seat and connect directly to the battery, be aware that the hot lead to the starter is tied directly to the battery and is an alternative place to connect.  You can use any good chassis ground for the negative connection.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »

The owners manual and YouTube have descriptions of how to dis-arm the alarm. This situation has existed since @ least 2009, not sure I agree this being something the dealer should explain. I promise if the salesman had tried to explain the procedure to me back in 09 I would have ignored him because he was a idiot.
Print out the instructions and throw a copy in the trailer or saddlebag.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »

Hi Don,

The purchase dealer did not explain anything other than how much I needed to pay for the `15 S.E. Street Glide. I learned about the security tow mode once at my destination. The local dealer in Myrtle Beach had a photo copies made on how to disarm the system before towing had no issues when unloading after trailering my bike home. Thanks for your input guys learned a valuable lesson(s) on this trip.

Donnie

harleyrules

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 SE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 Low Rider S
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:49:38 AM »

Glad you got it all worked out!!

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 24 queries.