Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terminal Velocity upgrade  (Read 2856 times)

dchriswell

• Loyal Harley Owner/Rider
Terminal Velocity upgrade
« on: November 25, 2004, 03:54:54 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with Terry Components Terminal Velocity closed loop system?  I am not an engineer, but the idea of having an oxygen sensor giving additional information to the ECM sounds like a good idea.  I believe HD intentionally chose not to include an oxygen sensor so they can charge us for ECM downloads when we change air cleaners or exhaust.  I have contacted Terry Components several times but I personnally don't know anyone who has installed the product or if there is an improvement in performance or economy as claimed by Terry Components. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Terminal Velocity upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 08:34:20 AM »

Read about something like this. It was suppose to be an intelligant system and adjust the air/ fuel mixture as you ride based on data from the O2 sensor.  Problem is you have to drill into the exhaust and weld on a bung for the O2 sensor then.  
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

dchriswell

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 10:41:25 AM »

Thanks, I

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 04:50:34 AM »

Try posting your question on this site:  http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/tc88fathead.msnw
There's a lot of knowledgeable people on there and maybe someone has installed one.
Steve

dchriswell

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:08:46 AM »

Skippy49,
Thanks.  I took your advice and posted on the site.  Hopefully somebody who has installed the system will respond.  I appreciate your suggestion.  I will post any replies to this site.

Thanks again. [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:15:16 PM »

The Daytona Twintec replacement ECM will allow tune-as-you-ride automatic air fuel adjustments. You still have to develop an advance curve by trial and error. These systems are not recommended for stock bikes. This system uses automotive style  air/fuel sensing which is netter than the air flow sensor in the delphi system.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/TCFI.html

dchriswell

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 01:27:28 PM »

PCC,

Thanks for the info.  I'm not ready to disable the Delphi ECM.  I'm looking for an add-on oxygen sensor to enhance the Delphi ECM.  I just haven't found anyone other than the supplier to recommend a specific system.  The articles in several magazines sound positive, but I'd like to hear from an owner of a bike with the system installed to see what they say.

Thanks again for your input!   [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

dchriswell

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 11:11:46 AM »

Reply posted on Harley Tech Talk. [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

Closed loop systems aren't the magic bullet that most think they are and what the makers of them would like people to *think* they are. Even a WEGO based system has it's limits on what it can compensate for. They all need a base map that is close to start with, otherwise the system will go into an "oscillation" mode trying to compensate and never resolve the map correctly due to the response time of the sensor and the ability of the ECM to recalculate all of the values. The "no brainer" EFI system is not a reality ... *yet*. Give it some time and it may happen, but it ain't gonna be cheap. You won't get the capabilities of a Motec type system for $1.98!

Regards,
Ed

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.