Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constant ABS light and Red Key light on following handlebar replacement  (Read 4125 times)

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Following installation of LA Chopper 10" Twin Peaks bagger bars, engine starts and runs fine all turn brake and accessories work, but the red key light (Security) comes after after about a mile and ABS light is a constant on. I have a CVO supplement manual but don't find any diag help.  Anybody offer up any words of wisdom?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Constant ABS light and Red Key light on following handlebar replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »

as far as the red key light, mine had come on and stayed on last week.  used my powervision to pull dtc and it showed a tssm fault left turn signal short to ground.  did some trouble shooting and found a pinched wire for the left turn signal.  fixed that, and cleared the fault and it hasn't returned and the red key is off.

not sure why you would have an abs fault, did you have to switch brake lines with the handlebarts?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »

The first thing to do is like scratch mentioned, check the diagnostic trouble codes stored by the bike.  Those should at least give you a starting point.

I would say the odds are very high that your issues were created during the handlebar change, so going back over that installation carefully will probably be necessary.  Did you extend any wiring or brake lines, or were the originals long enough?  And btw, it helps if you include the year and model of the bike.  You can add it to your posts automatically if you input the model information in your profile.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »

No brake line replacement or wire extensions, I did find the process for checking DTC's here in the forum so I'll start there.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »

don't get stuck thinking that this is one problem.  it could just be coincidence that both problems cropped up at the same time.  like I mentioned, my red key light was on because I had inadvertently pinched a turn signal wire.  unpinched the wire, key light went out.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »

As Jerry said...need model and year of bike. Did you have to remove and re-install the wiring connectors? Maybe a pin is not inserted all the way in the plug?? I know on the later bikes, there is no need to remove the harness plugs.

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »

2012 CVO Ultra, I did have to disassemble and rebuild all the connectors, but like I mentioned in original post everything works as far as lights are concerned,turn signals, brake lights, running lights, hi lo beam head lights, cruise control, the only thing I can find that doesn't work is the ABS an dyes I slide the back wheel just to check. I plan on checking codes and going from there. I was really kind of hoping somebody was going to chime in "same thing happened to me check xxx, but nothing else went as planned on this project so I'm not surprised. ;D

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »

Key light solved, pinched wire to clutch over ride switch in left handlebar housing. As for the ABS codes C1032 front WSS open, C1021 wss always = 0 and C0562 low voltage. That all sounds like I missed a connector somewhere but I've checked the front WSS connector and it's connected and I can't find any ABS related connector that I wound have messed with during a handle bar swap, any ideas? Does anyone have a diagnostic procedure for ABS? 

Johnnyjet

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »

Did you ever get to the bottom of the ABS issue? I’m having the same problem now on a cvo street glide. 
2017 street glide.  Vance and Hines with x pipe. .  Mustang seat.

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »

Is there any possibility that when you removed the brake control lever, that the reservoir may have gotten turned in such a direction (upside down or on end) that air could have gotten into the line?
If so,I would recommend backward flushing the system with new brake fluid using the syringe method where you force brake fluid from the front brake caliper backwards up through the ABS control to the reservoir at the brake lever and then do the same thing for the rear brake.
This way, if there is air in the system it will force it up into the brake lever reservoir.
There are good YouTube videos on this method.

Hope you find the answer soon, good luck.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.