Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Voltage Gauge Reading  (Read 3386 times)

WI George

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Voltage Gauge Reading
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:21:56 AM »

Just wondering if everyone else has a voltage gauge reading of close to 16 volts (all the time).
Doesn't seem right to me but maybe that's normal  [smiley=confused5.gif]

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Voltage Gauge Reading
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »

Mine also seems to be pegged over toward the 16 mark most of the time.  The Owner's Manual says it should register 13 - 14.5 volts.  Maybe this guage isn't any more accurate that the Temp guage!!   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

We noticed the same thing on the SEEGs when they were new: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1079268075/0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »

If you want some real chuckles, hook a real voltmeter across the battery terminals, fire up the bike, and then let it run and compare the H-D gauge and the real voltmeter readings.  Then shut it off but leave the key on, and compare readings again as the voltage drops.  Not only does it read high at the top end, it reads low at mid range and lower.  Another highly precise instrument from the MoCo (I wonder if they pay more than $1 for these things???).  BTW - with mine at 2500 rpm, the real voltmeter reads 14.45 volts, and the H-D gauge reads just a hair under 15.0 volts.  That's if you assume that the first mark after 14 is 14.5, and the next mark is 15.0, with a full 1.0 jump to 16 to the last mark.

I still think they should have left all the gauges off, saved $10 on manufacturing costs, and given the top brass another big bonus for a job well done.  JHMO, of course.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:34:14 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:57 AM »

Just wondering if everyone else has a voltage gauge reading of close to 16 volts ([highlight]all the time[/highlight]).
Doesn't seem right to me but maybe that's normal  [smiley=confused5.gif]
George,

Once you have ridden long enough to charge the battery, your gauge should drop some at idle, possibly as low as 12.8 volts.  Any time you're riding along at 2000 rpm or better, it will be between 14 and 15.  If the gauge never changes, something isn't right.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WI George

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »

I just checked it out (any excuse to ride again) and it stays a hair below 16 volts at all times, until I shut the engine off, then it drops to about 12.5 volts.  I think the gauge  [smiley=worthless.gif] [smiley=worthless.gif] but I do have the 1,000 mile checkup scheduled a week from tomorrow and will point this item out to see what H-D says.

Thanks for the feedback!

luckyrebel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:19:26 PM »

My gauge was pegged at 16 volts and I took it in to the dealer. The dumbasses replaced the voltage regulator and then the stator before figuring out it was only a defective gauge. Even when it is a warranty issue I cringe when I take my bike to the dealer for service. :-X

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »

My gauge was pegged at 16 volts and I took it in to the dealer. The dumbasses replaced the voltage regulator and then the stator before figuring out it was only a defective gauge. Even when it is a warranty issue I cringe when I take my bike to the dealer for service. :-X

LOL, Damn I'd be lookin for a new dealer.....quick.... [smiley=nervous.gif]

luckyrebel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:06:57 AM »

LOL, Damn I'd be lookin for a new dealer.....quick.... [smiley=nervous.gif]

I'm running out of dealers. I hear there is a good one a couple of states away [smiley=confused5.gif]

Pap

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »

Maybe we should do a survey on dealer quality.    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  [smiley=drink.gif]

I had to go out of state to get my bike simply because I couldn't deal with the locals.   :-/
There are risks and costs to a program of action.  But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

WI George

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 09:15:53 AM »

Update:  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Had the 1,000 mile checkup this past weekend and pointed out the voltage reading problem to the H-D service rep. Upon picking up the bike after the 3.5 hour wait they said it was reading .8 to 1.3 volts too high  [smiley=banana.gif] on the gauge but not in reality so they were going to contact the MOCO on Monday to see what they say and then get back to me. So hopefully I will get an answer and of course some type of fix to it. I'll update again after I hear back from the dealer.  [smiley=drink.gif]

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.