Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved  (Read 6275 times)

GliderDoug

Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »

Some significant changes since I made a purchase of an American bike in April, then "tried" to get the RIV inspection done once I got it home a week later.
This is the real pertinent info from the RIV inspection form that must be done by Canadian Tire (the only approved fed inspection organization)

SPEEDOMETER: shall be calibrated in kilometers per hour or both kilometers per hour and miles per hour. Digital speedometers that switch between
kilometers per hour and miles per hour are permitted if the unit of measure is identified. (this means your US HD must get a new speedo)
INSPECTION CENTRE: attach miles odometer label if required.
[ ] EXHAUST SYSTEM: must have permanent legible marking, confirming it meets “EPA regulation of 80dB(A)” (don't try to bring in a bike with anything other than stock mufflers)

The "sticker" solution for speedo is no longer valid. If your bike has modified pipes you'll need to find some stock ones to pass inspection.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »

I bought my bike in the states last spring and neither of these items were issues. Any idea when these two new rules came into effect.?
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • Pharaoh Bikers
Re: Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »

This is an old post from other forum talking about the same issue, I have been investigating this as I am about to move to Toronto from middle east. Am slso thinking of shipping my hike from here although I don't know if this can be done or not

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1161937

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
Re: Re: Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

Most Harleys come with the brake light so it is not a problem but when you get a CVO SG or convertable then you have a problem. The International bikes which is what comes to Canada must have amber lights for turn signals. This is why they have the 3rd brake light. This is not required in the U.S. These amber turn signals are law. This means that the bike cannot be plated in Canada...unless the person performing the inspection turns a blind eye......while you hand him an extra $100.00 bucks. ;)

Below is my bike when i got it.

What fo you mean that the bikes coming to Canada are international?  Is the VIN starts with 1 or 5 ?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »

Good Info everyone thanks for posting  :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

Also, be aware and this is not stated anywhere that I could find on the RIV website. You must submit your "Recall Letter" 30 days after its submittal to you. I rode a bike in Phoenix for the winter brought it Canada submitted "Recall Letter" to RIV, by then it was three months since it was issued. They would not accept it and I had to go back to the dealer for a another one not more than 30 days old.

So remember if you want to ride or drive a vehicle around for more than 30 days in the US before you import it, make sure the dealer will provide you one when you are ready to come back to Canada.

HADYE, I do not know what the ruling would be for importing a bike from the Middle East, I would phone RIV for confirmation.

I asked where on their preamble on their website it states this, was advised it doesn't but they did not care said had to get another one.

geezerglide

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

HADYE, I do not know what the ruling would be for importing a bike from the Middle East, I would phone RIV for confirmation.

I asked where on their preamble on their website it states this, was advised it doesn't but they did not care said had to get another one.

geezerglide

Thanks my friend
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.