CVO Technical > Twin Cam

interesting reply

(1/2) > >>

rturn2mow:
As some of you know, got scummed outta my SEEG. I bought an '04 Ultra Classic instead. Like many of you, I like hp and torque on my bike. I write this tech guy on an HD performance web site and ask him a question. I ask him about an engine I wanted to have built with only Screaming Eagle parts. Since I didnt get my SEEG I wanted to know about the Big Magilla. I asked his feelings on the stroker with HTCC heads with matching pistons and intake manifold, 260 cam and all of the other top output Harley stuff. I wanted an unbiased middle of the road opinion from someone with hands on experience. This is what a performance guy of all people responded with...

Let me vent for a second. It is beyond my comprehension why you want to take your dresser and try to turn it into a hot rod. Even with all the modifications you originally thought about doing, a mildly modified Dyna or Softail would blow your bike away. You end up creating a bike that may have nice numbers on a dyno, but is not going to be easy to live with when installed in a very heavy dresser. The bike will be prone to overheating and detonation. If you really want a fast street bike, then you need to consider something lighter and smaller. Otherwise all you are going to have is bragging rights for bench racing.

My intial thought was "what an AS$ HO%*!!! What do you guys think? Am I taking it too personally or was this not a good start to his reply? He did go on to answer, but I lost interest after I felt he was chastizing me for my bike selection and wanting to make something nice out of it. I know what I want to ride and I know what I want it to do. Did he miss that?

psycho:

--- Quote ---I asked his feelings on the stroker.....
--- End quote ---

I'm on my second career and I've done many new things with which I have had little experience. Thus, I have become accustomed to asking questions, not only in an attempt to avoid "reinventing the wheel" but to allow myself the luxury of being ignorant (definition-not knowing). When I ask, I really do want to know what the person I am asking thinks or feels about my particular question. I then take that information, assimilate it, and then make my own decision.

The person answering runs the risk of offending and the person receiving runs the risk of being offended (for many different reasons). I think you might be smarting after being maltreated by Harley and I think this individual with whom you asked his thoughts might have taken too much license with his "venting"-- kind of assuming a closer relationship with you than he actually had (he probably could have been a bit more diplomatic and uderstanding of who he was venting to). Just because you asked the question does not mean he has the right to vent. Kind of an "answer the question or shut up" type thing. You know.

However, I think he would have done you a disservice had he not responded genuinely. Your level of bike knowledge may be light years ahead of mine, had I asked the same question, I might be steered to another bike because I might not know what I want. He seems to be focused on "racing" the other guy. Seems you have a heavy bike (yes?) and want the most power and torque you can muster while having fun achieving it. Just food for thought.

Again, I think it sucks you didn't get the exact bike you wanted.  

rturn2mow:
Thanks Psyhco,

psycho:

--- Quote ---Thanks Psyhco,
--- End quote ---

rturn2mow:
Thanks men, I appreciate the support

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version