CVO Technical > Twin Cam

251 CAM

(1/2) > >>

SERK103:
I'll be going with this in the near future, the 251.  From what i've heard the high-lift(.579) 251 cam doe not require any spring, valve modifications.  it's a low to mid cam, just where i'd like it.  any knowledge of this cam appreciated. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

JCZ:
Serk I might suggest that you look at the Woods TW5G cams.  They were designed specifically for the HD 103" using stock heads.  It will out pull all the HD cams.  It's also a gear drive cam so you'll have more reliability in that area, as well.  This is the set up that I'll be going with, eventually.

You can call GMR Perfprmance at (810) 650-6403 for information from somebody who has already installed more than a few of these.  He's very easy to talk to and explains things where you can understand him.  You can buy your parts from him cheaper than just about anywhere else, too.

Take a look at this thread in the SEEG forum (you might want to check the SEEG forum out every now and then, as we have the same motor)  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1072508181;start=0#0

Black_Dog:
Be aware that gear drive cams can have a very irritating whine, the hotter the engine gets the tighter the gears mech and the louder whine.

Black Dog

JCZ:

--- Quote ---Be aware that gear drive cams can have a very irritating whine, the hotter the engine gets the tighter the gears mech and the louder whine.

Black Dog
--- End quote ---

Now that's an interesting way of looking at it, that I had never thought of, before.  I never thought of it being irritating.  I've always related the gear drive whine with performance, wether it was in the hot rods and roadsters or in the bikes, so I've always liked the sound.  Kind of sounds like the supercharger whine, from the blower on my truck.  Whatever we think of the sound (and it's really negligable from my perspective) it certainly adds reliablitity to the valve train.

Thank you Black Dog for another perspective thow, that I had never considered.

Michael:
Question...the 251 cam is a .579 lift. Arent the performance heads on the SERK good for a maximum cam lift of .575?

I am a supporter of the new 251 cam, just put it in a friends 95CI Fat Boy. The cam works very well, better than the 211 cam I had in my 95CI motor before I bought my SERK.

Back to my question, won't the valvesprings need to be replaced to use the 251 cam? Will anything else need to be changed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version