CVO Technical > Twin Cam

My thoughts on new cam from Freedom Cycles

(1/4) > >>

jeffj:
On Tuesday of this week I had my scooter at Freedom Cycles in Reno, NV for Brad to install his new CVO 103 Andrews Gear Drive CAM. My scooter ran really nice before I took it in for the cam but I just wanted a little more Torque in the mid range but Reliability was also a key factor for me. Well I am happy to say that I got just about everything I was hoping for (lost at blackjack table) as the scooter has almost 20 foot lbs additional torque at 3,500 rpms as this was a area I was hoping for improvement. I am going to post my Dyno Numbers at bottom of this post and I know several guys that don't like the STD vs SAE but this is what Brad @ Freedom Cycles uses. The big change for me in cam setup was additional hp & tq at 2,700 to 4,500 rpm as the scooter runs strong. Can I go out and beat every bike on the Street? "Nope" but that's not what I am looking for I just want a scooter that: Looks, Sounds, Runs, GREAT and I think I got it.

I give the new Freedom Cycles CVO 103 Andrews Grear Drive CAM a rating of 9

1st Map is stock vs. Freedom pipes, PCIII, AC
2nd Map Freedom Cams Added

Twolanerider:
Jeff, looks like you had the expected and signficant jump that comes with exhaust, a/c and a good tuning.  Then another considerable hike from the cam.  Did you get the opportunity to ride it at all between the first work an the cam install?  Certainly looks like it would be not just a measurable difference but one you'd definitely feel in the seat of your pants as well.

Congrats on being so pleased with the work and thanks for the step by step comparison.  That kind of thing is more helpful to someone still considering the"what" to do among all the options than you can imagine.

Thanks again,
Don

Fired00d:
Was this a cam only addition, specifically no headwork done? Also what are the specifications on cam lift/duration? Can this type of results be obtained using SERT? Can this install be done away from Freedom Cycles (I'm on the east coast) I'm contemplating going to gear drive cam and like the looks of those results.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

110tHunDer:

Jeff, do Freedom's pipes still use the springs on the heat shields, or are they using worm clamps now?

Twolanerider:

--- Quote ---Was this a cam only addition, specifically no headwork done? Also what are the specifications on cam lift/duration? Can this type of results be obtained using SERT? Can this install be done away from Freedom Cycles (I'm on the east coast) I'm contemplating going to gear drive cam and like the looks of those results.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
--- End quote ---

Gary, from what was written before the cam part of the job is just cam only.  The 3500 numbers are certainly tempting aren't they.  But really all the way from 2500 to 3500 there's real gain to be felt there in the range we'd really put it to use.

Just an FYI though, you might have a similar option coming up much closer to home.  DCFireman or Unbalanced (and I forget which one) just recently reported that Zippers up north of you just a bit is working on similarly intended project and had their cam grind done ready for some initial testing.  DCFireman also mentioned doing a little homework on a Red Shift cam grind that looked promising that was already a standard grind for them.  So sometime sooner rather than later you might have info on good options right there in your own backyard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version