CVO Technical > Twin Cam

First impressions and pics

(1/4) > >>

Ironhorse:
Let's hope I finally got this picture thing down.

I have to start by saying that I can feel the difference. The bike is breathing better. I guess for my bike, the headwork and cam combination is compatible. Decent low end response, and good pull all the way to the redline. It really moves when you get on it, at least compared to how it was. Overall the bike feels faster and has more torque.

I called the dyno shop today and thought I could run up there and get it done. I jumped on the 405 freeway (2nd most crowded freeway in the world - 10 years in a row) and the traffic was a bear. With USC and UCLA playing, I thought for sure the roads would be empty. Not. So I split lanes all the way up to Mullholand when I realized that I forgot my SERT Dongle at home. Doohhhh!

Needless to say I didn't get it tuned today. However, I'm not so sure it's too far off of tune. The bike runs great!. A little rich, because I can smell gas, but other than that I have no complaints. In fact I have only compliments. Throttle response was smooth, and the bike idled nicely, something this old M&M never did.

The weather was in the mid 60s today and sunny, so I did not get to "challenge" the bike in heat, the element that caused my ping. So instead of waiting for next summer, I'll probably try and get the engine hot by doing slow riding in cone mazes.

I hope to have it tuned in the next week or so. I am anxious to see how the numbers compare to what it was before.

Here are some pics.

I stripped the bike down for the mechanic.
I don't mind doing it, it makes me feel involved.

Here is a picture of the AMS head

AMS Head intake

AMS Head exhaust. Notice the dark coating in the exhaust port to cut down the temps

Front Piston and Jug. Looks okay to me.

Stock head. Notice the exhaust valve is white. The mechanic says that’s from extreme heat.

Stock head intake. Looks okay to me.

Stock head exhaust. Notice how white the whole port is.

Bike gutted for the cams

In addition to the heads and cam, one of the things I did was change to from an .030 to a .043 head gasket. This lowered the compression, which will help with the ping.

Twolanerider:
Ironhorse,
You linked to your photos with a path as follows:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/9274e1/82db/__sr_/5b89re2.jpg?phQ4nkDBIxCzz6Vv

Try losing everything after the .jpg so it would look like this:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/9274e1/82db/__sr_/5b89re2.jpg

Even with that, however, the hosting entity at Yahoo is at least currently blocking permission to the photos.  See if your yahoo account has an option to allow public access

Ironhorse:
I went to Yahoo photos, and made my albums public. Please let me know if they are visible.

Thanks

Twolanerider:

--- Quote ---I went to Yahoo photos, and made my albums public. Please let me know if they are visible.

Thanks
--- End quote ---

Sorry IH, when trying to view the photos directly it still responds as Yahoo not granting permission to view the files.  PM Naitram and ask him to setup a gallery account for you here.  You'd be able to host the files there for viewing by anyone anytime and be able to link to them for viewing on the board here.  You've got the link nomenclature written correctly.  The issue is a Yahoo thing.

110tHunDer:

Ironhorse, we see nothing but the dreaded white box with a red "X."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version