Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Sumping, should the MoCo be looking elsewhere??  (Read 13015 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Sumping, should the MoCo be looking elsewhere??
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »

Seems that the MoCo is focusing on the Cam Chest (Oil Pump/Scavaging/Sealing)for a cure...

The root cause could be the management of increased/erratic crankcase pressures generated within the M8  :nixweiss:

Maybe the Engineers should be looking at ways to alleviate crankcase pressure, such as the breathers / breathing system, and (truely) positive crankcase ventilation??

What say you???
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:33:04 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Leadfoot72

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Re: Sumping, should the MoCo be looking elsewhere??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »

Possibly,  I have a 19 and believe that it sumped last Saturday when I was riding fairly hard got got extremely hot and lost power so I slowed down and stoped at the net town and let it cool for a little while

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »

The general consensus seems to be on other sites / threads is every thing points to pressure / breather (PVC) related.  People are defending HD by saying that the EPA has tied their hands as to size & routing of breathers and such (can't vent anything to the outside air anymore).  My personal experience with motors over the years & with talking to other motor guys is that this theory is not too far off.  This seal might at least be a step in the right direction as to controlling where pressure can build up hereby controlling sumping (cause HD can't just vent everything to the outside air), time will tell.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

mark

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:09 PM »

The general consensus seems to be on other sites / threads is every thing points to pressure / breather (PVC) related.  People are defending HD by saying that the EPA has tied their hands as to size & routing of breathers and such (can't vent anything to the outside air anymore).  My personal experience with motors over the years & with talking to other motor guys is that this theory is not too far off.  This seal might at least be a step in the right direction as to controlling where pressure can build up hereby controlling sumping (cause HD can't just vent everything to the outside air), time will tell.
Indian, BMW, Honda, Yamaha, etc. don't seem to have a problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »

I think that consensus was about the trans fluid migrating to the primary, not the engine sumping issue. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »

I'm guessing that new oil pump housing seal is an attempt to prevent the scavenge side of the pump from sucking air from the cam chest instead of oil from the sump.  The actual problem "appears" to be related to the oil pickup in the sump, and I've seen lots of discussions about that in the other forums.  Harley made some major changes in the case design versus that of the TC, which didn't have this problem unless the oil pump became worn or damaged.  I seriously doubt the seal on the pump is the root cause of the problem, but a redesign of the cases would be a more expensive proposition plus a very much more expensive approach if they are forced to apply a fix to the earlier M8's.  In other words, a band-aid fix.  If it works, fine.  For purists who want the root cause fixed, I'm guessing that will be put off by the MoCo until it becomes time to retool for other reasons. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

Exactly! Why is that?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »

no they don't... and the nicest people you'll ever meet ride them  ::)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

Possibly,  I have a 19 and believe that it sumped last Saturday when I was riding fairly hard got got extremely hot and lost power so I slowed down and stoped at the net town and let it cool for a little while
Its amazing so many new members on this forum have m8 cvo's that are sumping. Majority have less than 10 posts. Not making light of the problem but jeez!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »

Its amazing so many new members on this forum have m8 cvo's that are sumping. Majority have less than 10 posts. Not making light of the problem but jeez!
My guess is they did a Google search and this (along w/other) forums came up regarding this issue. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 05:48:03 PM »

I'm guessing that new oil pump housing seal is an attempt to prevent the scavenge side of the pump from sucking air from the cam chest instead of oil from the sump.  The actual problem "appears" to be related to the oil pickup in the sump, and I've seen lots of discussions about that in the other forums.  Harley made some major changes in the case design versus that of the TC, which didn't have this problem unless the oil pump became worn or damaged.  I seriously doubt the seal on the pump is the root cause of the problem, but a redesign of the cases would be a more expensive proposition plus a very much more expensive approach if they are forced to apply a fix to the earlier M8's.  In other words, a band-aid fix.  If it works, fine.  For purists who want the root cause fixed, I'm guessing that will be put off by the MoCo until it becomes time to retool for other reasons. 

JMHO - Jerry

Exactly right...   :2vrolijk_21:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »

how many trouble free miles do you have now  :nixweiss:... following closely
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »

not all "sumping members" are new..
Alan

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »

Exactly! Why is that?
Maybe because HD manufacturers use unit construction/1 fluid vs separate cavities?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »

I know we will never get the truth but it would be nice to see figures of the true number of motors with this issue. Not just the total number of complaints but overall percentage. As with most vehicle owner websites the most vocal members with problems get the majority of coverage since most owners without issues generally don't post things like "Rode my bike today and nothing bad happened etc." Especially when you realize the majority of a specific vehicle are not members of the website too.
My dad taught me decades ago not to buy into advertising hype since "even Rolls-Royce has repair shops".  :huepfenlol2: so every brand has some issues to deal with over time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 25 queries.