Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I may have missed the Maggie Valley event but...  (Read 14164 times)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
I may have missed the Maggie Valley event but...
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »

I was able to get to NC and do some riding. 23 riders/passengers who work for the same company as I do met in the little resort of Fontana Village on Sept 23 and spend a few days riding and BS'n. What made it cool is that the company has a large footprint so we had riders from TX, TN, WV, VA, KY, PA CT and NH.

I rode down as far as Kingsport TN on Sunday the 22nd and then proceeded to pick up my wife at the airport in Knoxville a little after noon on Monday. We then proceeded to take US129 ( the famous DRAGON) all the way down to the intersection with 28 (moonshiner) before arriving at Fontana.

Tuesday was the CHEROHALA Skyway and more Dragon slaying -- trying not to hold up the sportbikes to much.  :huepfenlol2:

Wednesday it rained all day so it was a day spent on the cabin porch with some adult beverages.

Thursday it was More Moonshiner 28 with a detour to Maggie Valley and the Wheels Through Time Museum the back to 28 to Warwoman road in GA and the  a blast back up 441 to hook up again with 28 back to Fontana.

Friday was time to head for home. One last trip over the Dragon to drop off the wife at the airport for HER return flight. The ride home was uneventful since it was all superslab to get home by Saturday evening

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:24:47 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: I may have missed the Maggie Valley event but...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »

Came upon this creature. It seemed friendly enough.....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »

To make it official, had to get one of these

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »

Really need me a better camera. the one I have doesn't do to well for action shots. This photo seemed to one of the clear ones.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »

I did get to Maggie on Thursday the 25th. And this place -- Wheels Through Time-- was absolutely amazing - wish we had more time to explore every corner of it.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »

It was like meeting a rock idol when I ran into the man himself. Great guy and man does he LOVE what he's doing... of course I think I would to

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

I can say that this is one mile eating bike. It seemed the only things that made me stop were the need to empty my bladder or fill the bikes fuel tank

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »

Too bad we missed you.
I have stayed in Fontana village. Nice place. The last time we stayed there was in October several years ago. The issue there is food. Not many choices.

BTW, all the way at the back of the village and up a hill which seems to go nowhere, is a road that is a nice twisty ride out to 129, just below the Cheoah Dam (south of the Dragon)

I was in the village Sunday.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »

Right now the plan is to make this little gathering an annual event. Everyone who attended had a great time and the area works from a logistics point since it seems to be about the same amount of travel to get there for most of us.

We figured the food situation out in hurry, luckily some of the members of our group rented cabins (with appliances)that we could use to prepare some light meals.

MY plan is to attend both MV and the coworker events next year -- that would give me two full weeks in the area. I might even get to know my way around some.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »

That is the BEST idea you have had yet!  Nothing like 2 weeks in biker paradise!!!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »

I just wonder if I can tow my Ducati down with my CVO  :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 23 queries.