Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tape That Secures Boom Amp Inside Saddlebag  (Read 597 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
Tape That Secures Boom Amp Inside Saddlebag
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »

Does anyone know what product to buy and where,  double sided tape strong enough to secure the Boom Amp inside the left bag?

Thanks,
Donnie

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Tape That Secures Boom Amp Inside Saddlebag
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »

Gorilla makes some that is advertised as good for 38 lbs, can be found lots of places but also on Amazon.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »

I would like to know as well, replaced the left bag and it seems the 3M double sided tape available at any auto parts store is not strong enough, I doubled it up to make it as thick as the factory tape, but still doesn't seem to hold as well.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »

I would like to know as well, replaced the left bag and it seems the 3M double sided tape available at any auto parts store is not strong enough, I doubled it up to make it as thick as the factory tape, but still doesn't seem to hold as well.

The factory tape gave up on my '12 on a trip down to Orlando in '13.  The very heavy amp rubbed a hole in the side of the left saddlebag which was replaced under warranty.  I was livid to say the least.  Why in the wide world of sports they didn't make the bag with a built in holder for an amp or just modernize the entire system to eliminate that amp altogether so there wasn't a need for tape to hold that heavy an object... >:(

As for tape, the standard, white foam double stick stuff won't work for long term.  Use an industrial (usually black or gray in color) double stick tape.  Gorilla glue makes one as stated above.  3M has a VHB (very high bond) double stick that's nearly permanent...we have some in the warehouse and only use it if we don't want the item back.  It'll stick oil to water and what I used to bond the amp back in the new saddlebag of the '12... :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »

3M Scotch makes several different double sided mounting tape products.  The one you need is the extreme heavy duty version of the grey with red backing outdoor rated tape.  I've found it in various hardware stores, auto parts stores, and places like Home Depot.  If you prep the surfaces properly and apply the tape properly (apply to one part first with even pressure for at least thirty seconds, remove the red backing material and then press that surface against the second part for at least 30 seconds, followed by several hours of letting the bond strengthen), you might be surprised how well it holds and how hard it will be to break it loose in the future.  I'd recommend you lay the bag down so the weight of the amp is pressing the tape against the bag and not hanging from it, thus keeping pressure on both sides of the tape while the bond strengthens.  Just make sure to use a large enough amount of tape, the weight rating is per square inch.  Hanging something heavy from just a short length of 1 inch wide tape probably won't hold up long. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:17:40 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »

Jerry is correct, as usual, but 3M also makes a primer for their 2 sided tape. It comes in a small package and when opened is actually a sponge soaked with the primer. Use it as instructed and on both the item to be secured and the base the secured item is to be stuck to. Once again wait the specified amount of time then apply the tape to which ever side you want, wait again, then remove the red backing and apply pressure as specifed. I have used this stuff on the old Mustang foot wide door & fender mouldings and NEVER had one fall off, or even come loose. Primer can be bought in three packs on Amazon and most quality auto parts stores, for the amp it will only take one pack.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.