Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushtec Quantum GL  (Read 3116 times)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Bushtec Quantum GL
« on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »

Here is our new Bushtec Quantum GL
Chains help locate it in Lincoln Ca.  And with the help of a friend we drove down from Spokane to bring it back home.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

Re: Bushtec Quantum GL
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »

Now to go thur it and make sure it is ready come spring.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

See you scored a rig with their nice wheels :2vrolijk_21: .  Even if you use these things only rarely if you use them at all they quickly gain the feeling of being almost necessity.  It's just nice to be able to throw sh%t in the back and not have to think the packing process three or four times to get bare necessities in only saddlebags.  Enjoy the rig and the space.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »

Looks good Joel.  Looks like he threw the hitch pin in even a better deal. Enjoy
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:28:09 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »

I was able to post 1 picture from my phone than kept getting the file too large message when attempting to add more during a reply to thread.
It has a tool bag with tire spoon and a hose for a pump along with the wrench to remove the wheel.
What appears to be a siphon hose for gas, spare ( flat ) with cover, and extra wheel bearing.
Looking the trailer over it is in really good shape, thinking of having the painter next door give me a price of adding paint & pin stipes and to match the bike.
  I'll pull the wheels off tonight to inspect the bearings, Called Bushtec this morning and was told the bearing could go 60,000 miles, but the tires are worn out and shouldn't be hard to knock out the old and tap in the new ones.
 Got some prices on the hitch and harness kit needed.
Thinking of converting all lights to LED.
All in all very happy with this trailer.
Guess this is much like a new bike and doing a few personal touches.

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »

Nice looking trailer, Joel. You got lots of extras, too. I had a black turbo II in the early '90s that was pinstriped twice to match two different bikes before color matching my first genesis. If I had it to do again (and I may some day), I'd go black or white and pinstripe to match the bike. I like that look.
Hope it gives you many smiles and miles

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »

I was able to post 1 picture from my phone than kept getting the file too large message when attempting to add more during a reply to thread.
It has a tool bag with tire spoon and a hose for a pump along with the wrench to remove the wheel.
What appears to be a siphon hose for gas, spare ( flat ) with cover, and extra wheel bearing.
Looking the trailer over it is in really good shape, thinking of having the painter next door give me a price of adding paint & pin stripes and to match the bike.
  I'll pull the wheels off tonight to inspect the bearings, Called Bushtec this morning and was told the bearing could go 60,000 miles, but the tires are worn out and shouldn't be hard to knock out the old and tap in the new ones.
 Got some prices on the hitch and harness kit needed.
Thinking of converting all lights to LED.
All in all very happy with this trailer.
Guess this is much like a new bike and doing a few personal touches.

Joel, I advise buying your tires from Bushtec.  A little more than a motorcycle tire but well worth the extra money in longevity.  Bearings are easy to check, if they are bad you can buy on line for less than bushtec or buy from them when you get the tires.  Make sure you can dismount the old tires and remount the new ones.  Bushtec tires are a little tougher than cheap nylon ply tires.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 06:55:53 PM »

Joel, I advise buying your tires from Bushtec.  A little more than a motorcycle tire but well worth the extra money in longevity.  Bearings are easy to check, if they are bad you can buy on line for less than bushtec or buy from them when you get the tires.  Make sure you can dismount the old tires and remount the new ones.  Bushtec tires are a little tougher than cheap nylon ply tires.
Definitely.  Bushtec's tires are 6 ply and the only others to be found in the proper size are 4 ply.  Those are Shinko tires from Tractor Supply.  And when I inquired of Andrew Preston about wheel bearings a few years back he advised that they recommend NTN or NSK.  They prefer the Peer version which is a 6203 series bearing which denotes it is a single row, dual sealed bearing.  BUT the I.D. must be specified as there are 5 different I.D. sizes.  The proper one if 15.875mm ID x 40mm OD X 12mm.  The 17mm is more common but will not correctly fit the axle shaft. 

And the tires are extremely difficult to remove and install.  I was having a rear tire replaced on my '12 CVO Ultra by a nearby indy tire store who caters to motorcyclists a few years ago.  I purchased the tire online and rode down with it in my Bushtec Turbo +2.  He commented that he had replaced tires for another customer's Bushtec and he would never ever do it again because it was so difficult to dismount and mount.  I always just removed the wheels with the tires on them and shipped them to Bushtec for new tires and bearings.  Not really much to be saved by trying to source and deal with it locally imo and you know your've got the correct parts and installed properly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 08:20:57 PM »

All great advice and thank to you guys for sharing your experience with these tires.
I brought the spare with me to my shop thinking I would try to dismount the tire.
Yes it is going to be a challenge.  Worked on it for a few minutes and got it to start to get the inner bead of but put it back on.
We are  closed this week so when we reopen I will see about mounting the rim on the tire machine to stabilize it and soap it down to see if it helps.
Thinking of sending all 3 into Bushtec for 2 new tires and the best to spare.
Local bearing supplier has the NTN on hand at 8 dollars each. I'm sure I can knock the old out and press the new in as the pilot bearing tool fits them.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »

I was very fortunate to work with Andrew Preston while he was still with Bushtec. I got the hitch on the Wing, two tires, bearings and installation with Andrew over seeing the work. There are no finer people than Andrew and his brother Lewis.

I had an American Legend that I put about 10,000 miles on it, I had a matching to my 09 SEUC N-Line trailer, but my Bushtec is part of the family. It matches the Harley's so being just blue but not a matching blue for the Wing is ok.
As you have found out, Chains is the Bushtec master. Follow his advice and you can't go wrong!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »

I was very fortunate to work with Andrew Preston while he was still with Bushtec. I got the hitch on the Wing, two tires, bearings and installation with Andrew over seeing the work. There are no finer people than Andrew and his brother Lewis.

I had an American Legend that I put about 10,000 miles on it, I had a matching to my 09 SEUC N-Line trailer, but my Bushtec is part of the family. It matches the Harley's so being just blue but not a matching blue for the Wing is ok.
As you have found out, Chains is the Bushtec master. Follow his advice and you can't go wrong!

SBB

Chip, I agree.  Andrew, Lewis and their late parents John and Sally are/were truly exceptional people.  So sad they none of the Prestons are now involved with Bushtec.  Their loss but Bushtec is still the premier motorcycle pull behind cargo trailer manufacturer bar none.  No others come close imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »

I'm the winner
Got the tire dismounted using some split rubber fuel line to protect the rim from the clamps on the tire machine.
3 rim spoons and soap along with some arm wrestling.
These bearings feel very good so next is to order 2 tires and 3 tubes find somewhere to get them balanced and 1 step closer to road ready.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.