Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?  (Read 40365 times)

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »

I believe the new Boom Stage II speakers only came out recently, but was curious if any of you have upgraded to them yet?  If you have a 2015 CVO Street Glide, how well do you like them.?

The upgrade requires the purchase of a 2nd amp.  Each 300 watt amp runs 2 speaker locations.  On the CVO Limited, the book calls for the 2nd amp to be mounted to the tourpack.  Does anyone have a photo of an under tourpack mounted amp?  Has anyone ever had an issue with their under tourpack amp failing due to water damage?

I ordered all the parts for the upgrade this afternoon, but they won't be in for a week.  I've read countless pages on audio upgrades, so I hope I've chosen to go the right direction.  I toyed with the idea of going with an Arc amp and Focal speakers, but it seemed like a pricey option and I didn't want to have to modify anything for the new system.

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
Re: Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »

The sound is great, not as loud as I made my 2014 SGS when I added saddle bag speakers and upgraded them all to the premium ones and added a 850 watt amp from J&M Rokker that just pumped out the sound.   I hope they come out with some more wattage amps for the stage 2.  You will love the sound and probably say Rambo must be deaf. LOL.

FLCVORoadGlide

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

This mod is being done as I write this.   MOCO knowledged today that my bike was the first bike being modeled for this.    Got extremely lucky I have a retired Command Sergeant Major electronics military Tech doing the work.   MOCO has no plug in harness for the front fairing speakers.    When I left tonight he was installing the amp ( rear ) and speakers.   I'll keep you posted.   The reason I upgraded is the 2015 doesn't even come close to the sound on my 2013 CVO Road Glide. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:56 PM by FLCVORoadGlide »

FLCVORoadGlide

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

Front left stage II speaker being installed.

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:52:56 AM »

I believe the new Boom Stage II speakers only came out recently, but was curious if any of you have upgraded to them yet?  If you have a 2015 CVO Street Glide, how well do you like them.?

The upgrade requires the purchase of a 2nd amp.  Each 300 watt amp runs 2 speaker locations.  On the CVO Limited, the book calls for the 2nd amp to be mounted to the tourpack.  Does anyone have a photo of an under tourpack mounted amp?  Has anyone ever had an issue with their under tourpack amp failing due to water damage?

I ordered all the parts for the upgrade this afternoon, but they won't be in for a week.  I've read countless pages on audio upgrades, so I hope I've chosen to go the right direction.  I toyed with the idea of going with an Arc amp and Focal speakers, but it seemed like a pricey option and I didn't want to have to modify anything for the new system.

It is my understanding from reading the other HD forum that us CVO riders have to have another wire harness. The issue is that stock amp wire harness is internal to main harness and does not have connector 313 near radio that you would have when installing the P&A Front Amp and harness. This connector is required to plug-in front grill mounted tweeters. One person found 313 under their seat or back by the tour pak. Another guy decided to buy the pins and a blank connector and pin it out himself in the fairing where it should be. I guess the SG and UC have 313 up in the faring.

Also, I am sure you know, if you are doing the upgrade yourself, make sure you have the amps flashed prior to ever turning on the radio. I was talking with a tech at Adam Smith and he said the first one they did, they fried 3 of the 4 speakers and didn't even have the power turned up past a couple notches. I guess there are big warning stickers on the speakers as well.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

My bike is in for the install also.  As others have pointed out, the CVO's are missing the 313 harness for the mids/tweeters up front.  I had asked my dealer not to splice any wires as I had read about the rear seat harness someone else pointed out on another forum.  My service adviser stopped work on my bike until he could call me to discuss the issue.  He said he'd like to let his tech splice into the correct wires and made a harness himself.  I told them to go ahead and do whatever they would do on their own bike.  The tech did say he'd already spent about 8 hours on this install so far......He said I won't be charged that much as this was their first stage II install and they had to figure a few things out.  I'm glad I didn't try to tackle it myself.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort since the amps and head unit needed to be flashed.  Here are a few photos of the install:

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

Started by reading this thread, next went to HD website for part numbers; finally went to dealer who seem totally confused on what I will need. My bike is a 2015 CVO Road Glide, my desire was to do rear amp and speakers, and wait until later in year to do fronts. I now have dealer, HD website, and HD customer service giving me conflicting information. So now I come to the experts ( you guys ) how do I proceed?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »

anyone??? First question is can I do just the rear speakers and tour pak amp?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »

I don't believe there is a way to only do 2 speakers with the Stage II while leaving the others stock.  You could do just the fairing, but you wouldn't have any sound from the rear since your all four channels of your amp would power the 2 fairing speakers.  For the full upgrade, your bike will require the 2nd amp, Tour-Pak amp mounting kit, and 4 speakers.   Both amps and the radio need to be flashed for the Stage II install. 

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »

Front left stage II speaker being installed.

How did your stereo turn out?  Any problems?

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2007 Suzuki M109R Limited, still in the stable
    • CVO3: 2013 Road King CVO Crushed Sapphire - Traded
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »

My bike is in for the install also.  As others have pointed out, the CVO's are missing the 313 harness for the mids/tweeters up front.  I had asked my dealer not to splice any wires as I had read about the rear seat harness someone else pointed out on another forum.  My service adviser stopped work on my bike until he could call me to discuss the issue.  He said he'd like to let his tech splice into the correct wires and made a harness himself.  I told them to go ahead and do whatever they would do on their own bike.  The tech did say he'd already spent about 8 hours on this install so far......He said I won't be charged that much as this was their first stage II install and they had to figure a few things out.  I'm glad I didn't try to tackle it myself.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort since the amps and head unit needed to be flashed.  Here are a few photos of the install:

dgreen, how is your upgrade working for you?  I had mine upgraded to the Boom Stage II as well on my 14 CVO Limited.  My fairing speakers cut in and out when above 60% volume.  Of coarse the AVC doesn't work properly, therefore I have to turn it up to hear it on the highway.  The fairing speakers also have a weird pinging sound with every beat when turned up.  I don't have any video because it's while I'm riding.  Next week I'm going to talk to the dealer that installed it.  But it must be something they wired incorrectly.  If they spliced my 40K bike, I will loose my mind.  I went with this upgrade to avoid splicing...  Have you experienced any of this with yours?

2014 CVO Limited SE Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire. Mods: TTS Tuner, FullSac DX Headers, 4" Rinehart Slip On's, SE Extreme Ventilator A/C, Chrome Laser Heat Shield, HD Lower 2.5" Daymaker Reflector LED Fogs, Custom Dynamics LED front and Rear Turn Signals, Adj Hwy Pegs, Split Vision Mirrors, Boom Shorty Antenna's, SoftBrake Brake & footboard Ext, CD Accent LED's, 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks Bars, 9" LRS Dark Tint

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »

CreeseHD,

My Stage II is acting very much like yours.  I can get great sound out of the system, but if I'm within a couple of bars of max volume my front speakers will also cut out momentarily.  I'm guessing the pinging sound you are hearing is similar to what I think it clipping.  I'm not positive, but that seems to trigger when the speakers cut out.  Some songs can be played at max volume without issue.  Others cause the clipping (or pinging) and my fairing speakers are in and out.

There was a thread on another forum by JM Audio and they noticed the same thing when they tested the Stage II speakers.  Their speakers also cut in and out.  John said he figures the system can be fixed by Harley with a new flash.  I'm not exactly thrilled that the system isn't 100% perfect after spending almost $1,700 for parts and installation.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »

If they spliced my 40K bike, I will loose my mind.  I went with this upgrade to avoid splicing...  Have you experienced any of this with yours?

Unfortunately, there is a VERY good chance they had to splice into 4 wires from the harness in your fairing.  For some reason, the CVO's don't have the 313 connector that the Stage II speakers reference in their mounting instructions.  Non-CVO owners who have to purchase the fairing amp separately will have the connector on the included harness.  For those of us who bought CVO's with the amps already installed, the connector isn't there.  There is an option to use a harness that is under the rear seat by the tourpack, but none of the dealers around me had the harness that plugged into it.  If that harness is used, the wires are brought back under the seat into the fairing where they are used to power the front mids/tweeters.  My service advisor stopped the installation when they came across this problem so he could consult me.  Ultimately I told them to do whatever they would do on their own bikes.  My mechanic did a nice job soldering into the necessary wires and making it look clean and factory.

I spoke to another forum member here who had the system installed, but found it wasn't right.  He had the dealer rip everything out and he put it back to stock.  He said Harley ate the labor charge and took the parts back with a refund.  I'm not to that point yet, but I also haven't ridden my bike much since I had the install.  It's freezing outside and we just got 7" of snow last night  :-[

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2007 Suzuki M109R Limited, still in the stable
    • CVO3: 2013 Road King CVO Crushed Sapphire - Traded
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »

dgreen, I just had mine installed this past Wednesday Feb 18th.  It has been freezing here in Kansas City as well.  Yesterday it finally hit 45 degrees.  I was very excited to test the system. It sounds like a million bucks in the garage.  On a ride is a different story. Boy was I disappointed.  I think you are absolutely correct with how they installed it because the only issue is with the fairing speakers.  At least your tech called you...

I will call the dealer and the MoCo to figure out a plan.  Unfortunately I travel a lot for a living, so I'll have to have them come pick up my bike once again while I'm gone and get it right!  The only acceptable options for me would be to install the correct 313 harness and it operates as intended or put it all back to stock and refund everything! That also includes replacing the original harness they spiced. (whatever that takes)

It will be back down to the 20 degree range and snow the next 2 weekends I'm home.  This is about to get interesting.  Please keep me updated and I'll certainly do the same for everyone...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:18:23 AM by CreeseHD »

2014 CVO Limited SE Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire. Mods: TTS Tuner, FullSac DX Headers, 4" Rinehart Slip On's, SE Extreme Ventilator A/C, Chrome Laser Heat Shield, HD Lower 2.5" Daymaker Reflector LED Fogs, Custom Dynamics LED front and Rear Turn Signals, Adj Hwy Pegs, Split Vision Mirrors, Boom Shorty Antenna's, SoftBrake Brake & footboard Ext, CD Accent LED's, 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks Bars, 9" LRS Dark Tint
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.