Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom made mounting hardware????  (Read 3290 times)

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

• CVO1: '11 Convertible
Custom made mounting hardware????
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »

I got a beautiful swingarm bag for my scooter at the momoshow a couple of weeks back.  I went to Mendards, and snagged a sheet of diamond plated aluminum.  I'd like to make a mounting plate for the bag.  I am going to get some chrome extensions for the three bolts on the swingarm.  Mounts easily, not rocket science.  I think it will look sexy as all get out.

But I'm concerned about mounting the bag to the, er, mount...  I was thinking about having someone weld a female thread, and then just sticking that thru the holes in the bag and bolting it on.  Simple, but...  Vibrations baby!  Unless I locktite it down (really don't want to do that) I'm afraid eventually I'll lose my sexy sexy.   :o

SO...  I'm back to figuring out how to affix the bag to the mount.  I picture some sort of 'lock' or clip that would secure a bolt/bag/clip/something so that I won't lose it.  I'm not afraid of a loctite solution, as it won't be like I'm putting the bag on and off.  Really the only time it will come off is if I'm putting on both saddlebags for an extended ride....

Is any of this making sense in your head?  Would pictures help?  I'm sure I can prolly head to Ace to find something, but...  I figured I would ping the motorcycle community vs asking just some random employee for the best solution. 

Rubber down mate!!!
Rubberside down....  Get home safe to ride tomorrow!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Custom made mounting hardware????
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »

You may want to look at this thread - Are there chrome swing arm covers for our Breakouts?. Member creating that thread had damage done to his swingarm from a swing arm bag. As you mentioned vibrations are/will be a concern and unless you can get something that will keep it (and the mount) from touching/vibrating against the swingarm you might possible have/create damage with the bag. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »

Thankfully all I've gotten was the plate.  =]

So you think that perhaps a rubber grommet between the plate and mounting hardware to the frame would help with the vibrations?  Or perhaps a plastic washer?  I'm not so concerned about the chrome on the swingarm, as I fully plan on having the spacers keep that plate away from the frame.  I'm more concerned with the bag coming off the plate as I drive down the road.

Defiantly still hitting google and the search function.  ;D

mark

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »

Sounds like you need nuts with nylon locks on the threads.  Another choice would be to drill a hole in the bolts and use a castle nut and cotter pin (see pic).  Lastly, some type of safety wire/cable on the back of the bag connected to the plate.

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »

Yeah, the nylon locking nuts is what I was thinking too.  I guess I could just have them weld the bolt to the back of the plate, and just have lose nuts (wow, did I just write that!?!?) to screw onto the bolt and secure it that way...

But I like the castle nut, the 'positive locking device'!  Gives me that extra layer of security.  Love it!  Thanks Mark!

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:33:55 AM »

It's a hard way to find out a solution for "strong-fixed-without vibration-mounted but detachable" swing bag.
I also work on such thing to mount my new bag detachable and clean if the bag removed.
It's "strong mounted" = no vibrations but also no realy detachable
It's "detachable mountet" = you will have a little room/play on the fixing points that makes vibrations possibel

So my considerations at the moment:
3 point mounting (2 belt screws/bolts + 1 stainless steel rubber mounted pipe clamp)
these 3 mounting bolts will be simple and clean without the bag
and give me the distance for the bag from the frame tubes to prevent scratches

stiffening of the bag with a 3-5mm Alu back-plate inside
mountig the bag inside with 3 thumbscrews + spring washers and maybe additional safety clip pin
so I can mount/unmount the bag without any tool

I hope you understand my English.
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:18:31 PM »

I got a beautiful swingarm bag for my scooter at the momoshow a couple of weeks back.  I went to Mendards, and snagged a sheet of diamond plated aluminum.  I'd like to make a mounting plate for the bag.  I am going to get some chrome extensions for the three bolts on the swingarm.  Mounts easily, not rocket science.  I think it will look sexy as all get out.

But I'm concerned about mounting the bag to the, er, mount...  I was thinking about having someone weld a female thread, and then just sticking that thru the holes in the bag and bolting it on.  Simple, but...  Vibrations baby!  Unless I locktite it down (really don't want to do that) I'm afraid eventually I'll lose my sexy sexy.   :o

SO...  I'm back to figuring out how to affix the bag to the mount.  I picture some sort of 'lock' or clip that would secure a bolt/bag/clip/something so that I won't lose it.  I'm not afraid of a loctite solution, as it won't be like I'm putting the bag on and off.  Really the only time it will come off is if I'm putting on both saddlebags for an extended ride....

Is any of this making sense in your head?  Would pictures help?  I'm sure I can prolly head to Ace to find something, but...  I figured I would ping the motorcycle community vs asking just some random employee for the best solution. 

Rubber down mate!!!

look in to using a dzus fastener. It is used on the bags on the touring models. You should be able to get them at your Dealer. A support under the bag would be helpful also.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/DZUS-FASTENER-KITS/

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:30 PM »

I hope you understand my English.

Nice looking bag. Your English is good, but I understand the Jack Daniels a little better...

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.