Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Harley Premium Ride Shocks  (Read 13051 times)

RayK

Harley Premium Ride Shocks
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »

For those who have the Harley hand adjustable shocks installed how do you like them, I'm looking to upgrade the rear suspension and don't want to spend thousands on shocks. Thanks Ray

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Harley Premium Ride Shocks
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

:-\
I have owned multiple (Tour models)Road Kings and SE Ultra with the air shocks.  My latest ride is a 2014 Street Glide Special with the (hand adjustable) as you call it.

I was skeptical about how well they would work as they are about an inch shorter (to give that lower look to the Street Glide) thus limiting available "travel".

I'm pleased to report that in my opinion,  they are far superior to the old "air" system for shocks.  I was especially concerned about how it would be with my wife on board (she only adds about 130 pounds)...........No problem, no bottoming out and takes the bumps much better than my older rides.

It's an unusual arrangement,  as the right hand rear shock handles (rebound) and the left rear shock (adjustable) handles the compression (I think...........could be the other way around)  The right side rear shock is (non adjustable).

I had been considering after market shocks,  but these are more than satisfactory for me. :drink:   

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »

The hand adjustable premium ride shocks came standard on the 13 CVO Road kings. My buddy has one and he likes the handling the way it came.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »

for me, i had 2011 RGC with air shocks on the rear and could never find a happy spot when two up, now on a 2013 RGCSE ride is sooo much better, even with tour pac on and loaded for long road trip, just dial shocks up a few clicks. never bottoms & my girl says it is way better and she is never wrong, just ask her. also no tools needed to make a change,
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »

Don't spend money on these.  They are crap just like the air suspension crap.

Go with Ohlins. Nothing else compares

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »

:confused5:
Rotary.......Did ya get those new shocks on your latest ride and found them not as good as Ohlins.............How about some dialog as to why you said what you said.

:drink:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »

The Hand adjustable premium shocks are much better than the POS air shocks.  Air shocks are so bad I thought something was wrong with my 15 CVO RG Ultra compared to my 12 CVO RG or 13 CVO RK. 

Well I at around 1K miles on the 15 SERGU put Ohlin HD-159 on.  Suddenly the worst handling bike I had ever owned was now the best!

If the hand adjustable premium HD shock are twice as good or 3x as good as the POS air shocks, I would say the Ohlins are 3x or 4x as good as the hand adjustable premium HD shocks
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »

I like the Premium Ride shocks, but if I was buying shocks as an upgrade I'd spend a little more for Race Tech or a lot more for Ohlins.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:22:40 PM »

A few years of racing, on two factory teams, not sponsored by Ă–hlins but hade them built shocks for all my race bikes. Nothing like it.

If you like to ride and take a turn now and then the HD front and rear suspension got to go. And don't replace really bad shocks with poor shocks. By the way the forks are no good either.

Suspension upgrade is the best money you can spend on a HD. Forget chrome, engine work, and other crap that does nothing to improve the ride.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »

I wouldn't say they are the worst shock, but I have them and they are coming off. I'm not 100% on what the replacement is going to be  but there are better shocks out there. Review some of the posts on here and you will find that a lot of folks have replaced them and have had some very positive reviews on the replacement providing better handling and a better ride.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »

As usual on these forums Ray, you will get flooded with answers trying to convince you to spend vast amounts even if you state up front you aren't interested in spending a fortune.  Yes, there are better suspension components on the market, just like there are better or just more expensive parts for the rest of the bike.  Those who don't have unlimited budgets will need to ignore those who either do or want you to think they do, and go with a cost/benefit answer.  If you can get a decent price for the H-D "Premium" hand adjustable shocks (look for take-offs from the guys bashing them, since they are no good they should be willing to give them to you), they will be an improvement over the stock air shocks.  Not the best out there, just better than what you have now.  There are other choices that also fit into that area between the H-D "Premiums" and the ultra high priced stuff.  Works Performance is one name that comes to mind, you could also talk to Jim (hd-dude) about the Suspension Technologies shocks that have gotten good reviews around here.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »

I will have a set of Suspension Technology shocks for sale soon. I'm having them reworked by the manufacturer.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »

I will have a set of Suspension Technology shocks for sale soon. I'm having them reworked by the manufacturer.

so how did you like the suspension tech? why are you replacing them & with what. just curios
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »

As usual on these forums Ray, you will get flooded with answers trying to convince you to spend vast amounts even if you state up front you aren't interested in spending a fortune.  Yes, there are better suspension components on the market, just like there are better or just more expensive parts for the rest of the bike.  Those who don't have unlimited budgets will need to ignore those who either do or want you to think they do, and go with a cost/benefit answer.  If you can get a decent price for the H-D "Premium" hand adjustable shocks (look for take-offs from the guys bashing them, since they are no good they should be willing to give them to you), they will be an improvement over the stock air shocks.  Not the best out there, just better than what you have now.  There are other choices that also fit into that area between the H-D "Premiums" and the ultra high priced stuff.  Works Performance is one name that comes to mind, you could also talk to Jim (hd-dude) about the Suspension Technologies shocks that have gotten good reviews around here.

Jerry

I'm with Jerry here.

'Have the HD Premium stuff (F&R) on the '09SERG, very happy with all characteristics.

Remember; for any motorcycle to have good / great suspension, the Front and Rear have to play well together...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »

Jerry
This is the best advice you've gotten Ray.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

so how did you like the suspension tech? why are you replacing them & with what. just curios

They were okay shocks. To be honest they did not live up to my expectation. I found them to be a bit rough and harsh, my passanger more so. I contacted the mfgr and tried to adjust them as best I could. I had them set from one end of the spectrum to the other.

So I installed Ohlins 3-3, also known as Ohlins #6 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. Very expensive (like just about anything is for these bikes), but well worth it in my opinion.

Click this link for my write up on them.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100001.0
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RayK

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »

Thanks Guys for the replies so far, a lot of good advice. I think I will wait and see what's available in take off shocks. Thanks

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »

Jerry

Perhaps it should be asked if there is a better rear shock upgrade for less then $549.95.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:36 PM »

I am afraid that anything under $1K is as bad as the HD original crap. Might as well stick with stock then.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »

I just put the HD adjustable on my 2009 Street Glide. There is a very noticeable improvement in handling from a performance and comfort status. Corners much faster, my 6 blown discs don't get jammed on every bump now. No comparison to stock air shocks. I think it was money well spent.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »

I have the HD premium shocks on my 11.5 CUSE and I have the HD premium Dual cartridge front suspension.  For the money spent it is a very worthwhile upgrade. The bike handles much better and my wife and I like the comfort of the ride. Again money well spent. Is the Ohlins system better?  Maybe for some but I don't think my riding style would benefit from them.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »

You might want to look in a forum there people are more performance / handling experienced than a Harley forum.

Nobody buys a HD for handling or performance so then people, that appreciates / understand handling, might hang on other forums.

I did upgrade my suspension to Ohlins and it handles better than stock. But don't kid yourself it is still not a great handling motorcycle. But it's great for what it is designed for.  Slow speed and moderate curves.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »

You might want to look in a forum there people are more performance / handling experienced than a Harley forum.

Nobody buys a HD for handling or performance so then people, that appreciates / understand handling, might hang on other forums.

I did upgrade my suspension to Ohlins and it handles better than stock. But don't kid yourself it is still not a great handling motorcycle. But it's great for what it is designed for.  Slow speed and moderate curves.
Then the information may not be pertaining to H-D's. :nixweiss: The OP is wanting information to make his "H-D" handle perform better... simple as that... IMO he's come to one of, if not the best place to get that information. It's obvious in your posts that you are not happy with "H-D's" (and that's fine because a lot of us... myself included aren't happy w/all aspects of them) and as you've posted many times will be selling yours (unlike a lot of us that even though they have their "problems" choose to stick w/them) which is your choice and prerogative. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »

Then the information may not be pertaining to H-D's. :nixweiss: The OP is wanting information to make his "H-D" handle perform better... simple as that... IMO he's come to one of, if not the best place to get that information. It's obvious in your posts that you are not happy with "H-D's" (and that's fine because a lot of us... myself included aren't happy w/all aspects of them) and as you've posted many times will be selling yours (unlike a lot of us that even though they have their "problems" choose to stick w/them) which is your choice and prerogative. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I went with Ohlins to save myself from too many "buy and try" scenarios. Yes, Ohlins are damn expensive, and there is probably a shock just as good, somewhere between stock and Ohlins. Maybe Progressive, or Werks I don't know. I do know I bought Ohlins once, and am done with looking for rear shocks.

Mark

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

I went with Ohlins to save myself from too many "buy and try" scenarios. Yes, Ohlins are damn expensive, and there is probably a shock just as good, somewhere between stock and Ohlins. Maybe Progressive, or Werks I don't know. I do know I bought Ohlins once, and am done with looking for rear shocks.

Mark

I switched the stock air shocks on my 09 SERG To progressive 944, much better than the stock air.  My 12 SERG came with the HD hand adjustable premium, about the same if not slightly better than the progressive 944.

The HD premium are around 549.00, the 944 were 650.00.

My Ohlin HD-159 were just under 990.00 installed and set up for my weight.

If the HD premium are 500 better than the stock air, the Ohlins are easily 700 better than the HD premium.

I would spend 1000 again for the Ohlin, I would not spend 500 again for the HD premium or Progressive.

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

where did you get them for $700.00 installed

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

You might be surprised at the number of people on this forum that have years / miles of experience on bikes other than HDs...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »

where did you get them for $700.00 installed

They were 990 installed. 
My Ohlin HD-159 were just under 990.00 installed and set up for my weight.
  My comment was they are 700 better than the Premium hand adjustable HD shocks, which are a half the price of the Ohlins.

In other words the Ohins while more expensive are a better value for the dollar spent.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

So with all this being said. I'm in the market for a set of HD premium rear shocks for 2012 FLHTCUSE. I want the standard height ( i think 13"). any one have any take-offs (like Jerry was sayin, really cheap)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »

I have the stock Premium ride Harley 12" on my 12 CVO Road Glide and it rides pretty good. I am not unhappy with it at all. It does well 2-up also. They will bottom on big bumps. I have 13" suspension technologies shocks on a 2010 street glide and I like them. Far better ride than the stock air, and very comparable ride to the Harley Premium shocks. I did not get the heavy duty Suspension Technologies, just the standard springs. They improved the Street Glide handling considerably. They were under $450 delivered from Metal Dragon. I think they were closer to $430, but I can't remember for sure.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »

So with all this being said. I'm in the market for a set of HD premium rear shocks for 2012 FLHTCUSE. I want the standard height ( i think 13"). any one have any take-offs (like Jerry was sayin, really cheap)
Good choice, and I have them on my 2014 Street Glide Special............but they are 12" to give that (lower look)......I'm not sure that Harley provides the "premium" (non-air shocks) in a 13" version............others may know the real answer. :nixweiss:

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »

Part #540008 is the standard height (13"), cost is 549 beer tickets a set from moco. Most of the take offs are the 12" or have a bunch of miles on them.

Cheers Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.