Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring  (Read 41901 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »

Want to start a thread for the new Navigation on the 2014 and up bikes. Like a running dialog to keep adding to and find an answer.
...couple of questions and figure anyone can add more questions so I can learn more

I been following some of the comments and wonder what program or site is easiest to plan the route?
I am pretty good on the HOG route planner site, but also noticed its slow and has some quirks at times saving...

Any hints or tricks to make easier?
like limit locations or way points, saw a comment on labeling them...

How about missing a waypoint, bike rerouting automatically or have to re-enter a new destination?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:35:09 PM by bakon »
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

Re: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »

42 views and no comments....
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

Want to start a thread for the new Navigation on the 2014 and up bikes. Like a running dialog to keep adding to and find an answer.
...couple of questions and figure anyone can add more questions so I can learn more

I been following some of the comments and wonder what program or site is easiest to plan the route?
I am pretty good on the HOG route planner site, but also noticed its slow and has some quirks at times saving...

Any hints or tricks to make easier?
like limit locations or way points, saw a comment on labeling them...

How about missing a waypoint, bike rerouting automatically or have to re-enter a new destination?

thanks in advance

As far as route planning there are many products out there. The HD Route Planner is OK but I use Basecamp. Once you become familiar with it you can actually do a lot with it.

The latest software update 1.18.3 allows up to 100 waypoints/locations (it is not 100 per route but a total of all the imported routes) but over time you will need to remove items such as trips and saved waypoints/locations. There is an issue I discovered with removing waypoints/locations. If you look at several of my posts in the thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=99897.45 you'll get the drift of the issue.

The new software update now allows you to skip a waypoint. The route will automatically recalculate the route after you skip the next waypoint.

In the next software upgrade it would be nice if there was a recalculate setting that would give you the option of auto recalculate or a prompt with yes/no to recalculate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:55:24 AM by cvosjoe »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

I like using basecamp but would rather us a web base app for ease and flexibility while on the road.  HD Ride Planner would be nice but as stated earlier it's not that reliable.

Seems like I alway find my way back to mapquest.

Been trying My Scenic Drive a couple of times but the server has been down.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »

What size thumb drive are you using? Are you loading music on it too and keeping it plugged into bike, or just upload a route and put the music thumb drive in?
I have seen some post of using one too big. I let my wife keep the HD one on her jewelry stand, I got to keep the bike...

I have been following your posts, that is kind of why I started this one. New to me so on a learning curve.

Does base camp or mapquest allow the download of a route and reload into the bike and how hard is it to delete location if I give it a label like you suggest?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:39:06 AM by bakon »
Will

jagerbomb

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »

I had a garmin that I used on my 2011 CVOSE. I liked the fact that I would build a route on Mapsource and download it into the nav in just a few seconds. I was also able to modify the route easily. I now have a 2015 CVOSE that I am disappointed in how it's similar yet very different. You can download a route but then the bikes GPS recalculates your route by using waypoints. It changes my route that I selected on my computer. Hopefully they can address this and blutooth to my senna headset.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »

What size thumb drive are you using? Are you loading music on it too and keeping it plugged into bike, or just upload a route and put the music thumb drive in?
I have seen some post of using one too big. I let my life keep the HD one on her jewelry stand, I got to keep the bike...

I have been following your posts, that is kind of why I started this one. New to me so on a learning curve.

Does base camp or mapquest allow the download of a route and reload into the bike and how hard is it to delete location if I give it a label like you suggest?

I use an 8GB thumb drive that I only use for routes. You have to put the gpx files in the root of the drive. You can export the route from basecamp or mapquest to your thumb drive. Waypoints/locations can be removed easily from the 6.5 Nav as long as they are created correctly but have to be done one at a time.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

I had a garmin that I used on my 2011 CVOSE. I liked the fact that I would build a route on Mapsource and download it into the nav in just a few seconds. I was also able to modify the route easily. I now have a 2015 CVOSE that I am disappointed in how it's similar yet very different. You can download a route but then the bikes GPS recalculates your route by using waypoints. It changes my route that I selected on my computer. Hopefully they can address this and blutooth to my senna headset.

When you create your routes in mapsource or base camp make sure you set the routing option for car not motorcycles. By doing this you'll have to use more waypoints to shape the route the way you want it. When you import the route into the new 6.5 Nav it will recalculate the same as it appears in the other mapping software.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:30 AM »

Thanks for setting this thread up, will be following it closely, I had a 2011 FLTRUSE and used the garmin road tech GPS all the time I was very confident mapping out routes for out of the way rides, Now that i have the 2015 I'm not confident at all, was even contemplating purchasing a new garmin "Road Tech" and installing it on the bike and wiring it into the infotainment system, but seeing that there has been some progress in the software updates  to the navigation system making it somewhat and I say that loosly, I want to familiarize my self with it and hopfully it will be satisfying.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »

cvosjoe- do you leave the 8gb flash connected?

or download the gpx files, disconnect and use the port for something else like music?

its winter and asking questions now so I can know what I am doing soon enough.

I did play a little today- copied some iTunes library to a 2gb flash and plugged up to the bike. Got music to play, scrolled around some, but only display was song title or artist. I had read somewhere the album art would pop up.
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »

cvosjoe- do you leave the 8gb flash connected?

or download the gpx files, disconnect and use the port for something else like music?

its winter and asking questions now so I can know what I am doing soon enough.

I did play a little today- copied some iTunes library to a 2gb flash and plugged up to the bike. Got music to play, scrolled around some, but only display was song title or artist. I had read somewhere the album art would pop up.

I usually disconnect the drive after I load the files. My primary use of the USB is for my phone so it charges and I have music on it as a backup so if I'm in an area that does not have consistent XM reception. I have not paid much attention to notice if the album art shows. If I find out anything I'll let you know.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

YOu are the expert so far..the xm radio, how do I activate? can I wait till April to save a few months? picked it up two weeks ago or so, but no riding here for quite a while.

But back to GPS-does the Infotainment system tell you if gpx file is too large? Display amount of memory used or anything?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:32:12 PM by bakon »
Will

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »

When I play music from my iPhone 6 when plugged into the USB Album art work will display a few seconds into the song.  However I usually have the GPS map up, even when not using it for navigating.  It then will still show song playing or artist and song.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »

YOu are the expert so far..the xm radio, how do I activate? can I wait till April to save a few months? picked it up two weeks ago or so, but no riding here for quite a while.

But back to GPS-does the Infotainment system tell you if gpx file is too large? Display amount of memory used or anything?

It's easy to activate. Go into the SirusXM setup, select Subscription then Radio. All the info you need is on the screen. I don't think waiting till spring is an issue as I have waited several months or more before activating radios on other bikes I have owned. I have never seen any expiration date on the free trial offer.

I have not seen any place that shows space used/remaining. When you run out of space it pops up a message stating that some of the trip failed to load. If you get into the habit of removing the trips and saved items before you import another trip you should be fine. Just make sure the trip doesn't have more than 100 waypoints/locations.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »

I used this site to build a  route for the 1st leg of a trip i am planing
the route is from VA to Austin TX has about 50 waypoints and 3 stops
It appears to load okay and when i hit go it shows on the map. have not had a chance to ride test it yet. This site has some neat features like finding scenic roads and then pulling them into your route.

https://www.myscenicdrives.com/road-trip-planner
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:26:08 PM by 14CVOultra »

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.