Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring  (Read 42016 times)

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »

LV76,  Thats what I did, I installed the take off Garmin 665 off my old bike and put it on my '15 RGU.  That was before the 100 waypoint fix.  I think I'll still be very happy having the second system on board...Keep one on the route and use the other for finding POI's or surfing weather radar, etc..

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »

cvosjoe,

I want thank you for your continued knowledgeable input on this topic, I'm trying to get myself up and running with this new to me nav system, I've gotten use to and comfortable with the HD road tech gps on my previous cvo and I keep telling myself to not purchase and install the HD road tech gps with handle bar mount on my 2015 due to my confidence in the former gps system compared to the new built in and more limited system.

Larry

Larry,
Like you, until the new HD Navigation was released, my preferred navigation was the Garmin. Although, I will say that I have had issues with the Garmin as well, like roads on the map not lining up to the route correctly causing misdirection's. The nice thing about the Garmin is that it is definitely more motorcycle friendly and has features that make it easier to use along with settings that allow the user to fine tune the device to their needs.

The HD Navigation takes some getting use to but the routes can be manipulated to actually work fairly well. The problem is that if the intent was a plug and play navigation then the MOCo definitely missed the mark. 

Hopefully I'll have some more information on the HD Navigation in a bit. We are working with a local dealership and the MoCo with the hopes that we can get someone at corporate listen to our feedback on the issues and limitations of the new navigation. 

I will keep you all posted as I get more information.

Joe
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:17:54 PM by cvosjoe »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

The default name? Is mapsource and basecamp assigning the waypoints names? or are you making them a location?

I was using the myscenicdrives and the waypoint can be edited to put something in the notes like a name. But typically in myscenicdrive a waypoint is listed as "waypoint" and only has coordinates. Even when I add a name in the notes it still says waypoint in the list.

Maybe I need to change programs again? Sigh....
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

The default name? Is mapsource and basecamp assigning the waypoints names? or are you making them a location?

I was using the myscenicdrives and the waypoint can be edited to put something in the notes like a name. But typically in myscenicdrive a waypoint is listed as "waypoint" and only has coordinates. Even when I add a name in the notes it still says waypoint in the list.

Maybe I need to change programs again? Sigh....

Yes, default name. Mapsource and Basecamp typically use the address or some sort of location (i.e. 123 Any Street or I 75 N) as the default name. Depending on the mapping software you can either change this name at the time of creation or when you edit it. From what you have described it sounds like myscenicdrives names the waypoints, waypoint 1, waypoint 2, etc.  I am not familiar with myscenicdrives but I would assume that you would be able to change the name.

The Notes/Comments is only used by the HD Navigation when it is selected from the Saved location. It uses this attribute for the title in the top menu bar of the screen after it has been selected. That is why there is an issue if you leave the Notes/Comment attribute blank. The waypoint names you see in the Saved list is the name of the waypoint whether it is the default or a name of your choosing. When the route is active, the HD Navigation uses the waypoint name to show in the next turn list and not the Notes/Comments attribute.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:19:59 PM by cvosjoe »
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »

Thanks Joe
myscenicdrives works pretty good to plan, but all waypoints are just named waypoint from what I see. 10 of them on same ride all will be called same thing "Waypoint" . No numbers. Only thing different is coordinates.

I did export the myscenicdrives to desktop, then loaded it to basecamp....gives a bunch of little red flags, almost every turn it looks like...have to explore it more to see what it did with waypoints and such...

Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »

Made a route on my scenic drives. Just a 40 mile round trip back to house. Loaded fine onto thumb drive and into bike. Went to run it and it comes up fine until I try to "GO". It list the waypoints as "Turn left onto Rt 88" like its all directions. I only used waypoints, with no names when viewed on myscenicdrive, so the route wouldn't work. Even when I picked any one of the points from start to the last one turning on my street. Never gave any calculations or time of arrivals. I tried "calculate route" and "show route" all I would get a a quick "back" on the screen.
So I figure I screwed the planning up, and take a ride. Half way out I turn for home, hit "Home" and it lists my address, hit "go" and it flips to map but no route.  SO I try again, same thing. Turn off radio, back on, same thing, turn off bike in lot, turn on, same, I get no routes. Select a "Previous" Sunoco. Nothing , just back to map.
Display shows me going on the road I am on, everythin g else looks good. Checked preferences, switched to twisty, same thing, back to "fastest" still no route.
Must have froze up something with my bad route. So I stop and delete it. Turn off and on, still no route.
How do I and should I factory reset?
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »

Made a route on my scenic drives. Just a 40 mile round trip back to house. Loaded fine onto thumb drive and into bike. Went to run it and it comes up fine until I try to "GO". It list the waypoints as "Turn left onto Rt 88" like its all directions. I only used waypoints, with no names when viewed on myscenicdrive, so the route wouldn't work. Even when I picked any one of the points from start to the last one turning on my street. Never gave any calculations or time of arrivals. I tried "calculate route" and "show route" all I would get a a quick "back" on the screen.
So I figure I screwed the planning up, and take a ride. Half way out I turn for home, hit "Home" and it lists my address, hit "go" and it flips to map but no route.  SO I try again, same thing. Turn off radio, back on, same thing, turn off bike in lot, turn on, same, I get no routes. Select a "Previous" Sunoco. Nothing , just back to map.
Display shows me going on the road I am on, everythin g else looks good. Checked preferences, switched to twisty, same thing, back to "fastest" still no route.
Must have froze up something with my bad route. So I stop and delete it. Turn off and on, still no route.
How do I and should I factory reset?

I am not sure what happened with the route you created but it sounds like you will have to do a reset.

Hold down the Mute button and turn the bike on accessory. Continue to hold the Mute button until you see the Accept screen. Let go of the Mute button and press Accept. You will now see the system menu on the screen. Scroll down until you see Reset. Press Reset and select Pre-Cali Reset.  You will lose all your setting and have to set them all back up manually. Don't bother with the Save and Restore functions as they do not work.

2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »

Reset worked and now it will calculate after re-enter home address. Do I have to worry about software updates being reinstalled after a reset?

I think my problem with route might be all waypoints to make a circle and no destination at all? Just a guess. Try again Sat. Rain tomorrow.
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »

Reset worked and now it will calculate after re-enter home address. Do I have to worry about software updates being reinstalled after a reset?

I think my problem with route might be all waypoints to make a circle and no destination at all? Just a guess. Try again Sat. Rain tomorrow.
The reset does not affect the software updates.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:11:17 PM by cvosjoe »
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »

When you guys are importing the routes they are being saved under trips correct. Because reading back a few messages it sounded like they were being saved under saved locations or am I not
understanding something.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:28 AM »

Mine was under trips on the bike. Nothing went over to saved locations on my 40 mile one that didn't work. Only thing I could see was my home and a Sunoco under previous.

I don't know where I went wrong. I really like the myscenicdrives and am going to attempt to make another run at using it. I also got basecamp loaded in home computer and will give it a try if I screw the pooch again.

I saved as a GPX and it loaded fine. Found it under trips with correct name and when loaded listed a bunch of drop downs which appeared to be in order of the trip, they were just directions though, not actual stops or points. Like I said the myscenicdrive just had a list of waypoints, all the same name going down when I viewed the gpx files. Only thing different was coordinates. I did enter the notes and added a name to some, but could not find that when trip loaded and did not carry over to saved locations either. I did nothing fancy when planning trip, just found a few small towns, picked some roads to get there, round tripped it back to my house and used waypoints to get a route up. Saved as gpx, loaded it to bike.

Thinking possible reasons could be too many waypoints, or too many same name in a row "waypoint" or no destinations at all except my house? Or operator error somewhere but the only thing I never got were directions or a route or anything more on screen than the normal driving screen showing your location. Then I couldn't get any location to be routed to.  Try again.
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »

When you guys are importing the routes they are being saved under trips correct. Because reading back a few messages it sounded like they were being saved under saved locations or am I not
understanding something.

When you import a gpx file any routes are put into your Trips location. If everything is correct with the gpx file then all of the waypoints including start and destination are added to your Saved.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »

While on a trip....sometimes in the evening I would take my Garmin to my hotel room and modify/enter a route for the next day.

With the infotainment system, to do this I will need to get the route loaded to a usb flash drive from some mapping program.

I know I can do this with a laptop.

What my question is, since I travel with an Ipad, does anyone know if you can load a routes from a web based mapping site like google map, my scenic drive, ride planner to create a route and load it to a USB flash drive via an Ipad?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:28:46 PM by Cat Eye »

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »

While on a trip....sometimes in the evening I would take my Garmin to my hotel room and modify/enter a route for the next day.

With the infotainment system, to do this I will need to get the route loaded to a usb flash drive from some mapping program.

I know I can do this with a laptop.

What my question is, since I travel with an Ipad, does anyone know if you can load a routes from a web based mapping site like google map, my scenic drive, ride planner to create a route and load it to a USB flash drive via an Ipad?

Try this link. It describes how to connect a thumb drive to an iPad.

2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »

Try this link. It describes how to connect a thumb drive to an iPad.

Thanks....I going to give it a try
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.