Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring  (Read 42009 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »

Sounds like you also need to get into Navigation and IMPORT the route from the thumb drive. Just plugging it in to bike doesn't bring up the IMPORT commands.

When you select import it will give you options like your phone or the name of the thumbdrive. Open the thumb drive and find your City name for route.
Will

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »

OK, what am I doing wrong....  I loaded a Garmin Basecamp trip onto a thumb drive.  The trip only has about 5 waypoints.  When I plug the thumb drive into the USB port on the bike it displays "no playable media found". (or something to that effect).  When I plug the drive back into the computer it shows the .GPX file along with another file.  When I click the .GPX file, it opens basecamp and the route is there....  Also, when I drill down to the Nav menu/import files/USB device and click on USB device, it displays "no contact or Nav file found on device" (or something to that effect).  I'm sure its me, this is the first time I've tried to load a nav file onto the bike...
Thanks in advance!
Dave

So could my problem be that I'm using a Macbook Pro??  I'm using basecamp and transferring the map right to the drive.  The bike appears to see the drive but not the file.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »

I don't know MAC stuff. I do know I can see my .gpx file on the thumbdrive when in computer or when plugged into bike with windows
Will

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

My Mac see's the .GPX file on the drive but my bike does not.....hmmm, Glad I've already mounted my Garmin 665 on the bike as well....
Frustrating

vinver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 Limited (Silver/Maroon)
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »

Hi

Flying a little blind here but I have basecamp and a Macbook Pro and it works for me.

1) ensure that your USB stick is formatted in the Windows FAT format and not a MacBook format.
2) rather than saving the route directly onto your Thumdrive, highlight the folder in which the route lives (in Basecamp) and then export the whole folder by going to file and selecting export

You should be OK. Not sure but my guess is tat you have not formatted the USB stick in the correct format so if you complete step 1 you should be good.

Keep us posted.

Vincent
Regards,
Vincent

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »

Hi

Flying a little blind here but I have basecamp and a Macbook Pro and it works for me.

1) ensure that your USB stick is formatted in the Windows FAT format and not a MacBook format.
2) rather than saving the route directly onto your Thumdrive, highlight the folder in which the route lives (in Basecamp) and then export the whole folder by going to file and selecting export

You should be OK. Not sure but my guess is tat you have not formatted the USB stick in the correct format so if you complete step 1 you should be good.

Keep us posted.

Vincent

Thanks Vincent, I agree on step one.  Next question, How do I format the Flash drive to windows FAT?

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:34:13 PM by FLH91 »

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »

I'm still unsure how to format a thumb drive to Windows FAT while using a Mac.  I may end up going to the Mac store in town and ask them.  I'm also going to try a different thumb drive when I get the bike bike from the dyno tuner...  I'll keep you posted!

vinver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 Limited (Silver/Maroon)
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »

It really is quite straight forward. Please PM me and I will outline. I think the moderator is keen for the conversation thread to remain 'on topic'.

Vincent
Regards,
Vincent

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »

As original poster...please post format info here, as long as we stay towards routing and navigation I believe others might find it useful if they have same problem.

Music has its own threads however.
Will

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »

OK, I just had to do the 18.3 software upgrade.  not too bad, just had to unzip the file on the outer and then load the larger file on the flash drive and then the bike....  First time I've ever had to do a software upgrade on a harley, just sounds weird!  Anyway WHoot Whoot, its done... 

Now back to my map issue, stand by...

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »

OK, I think I got it.  What I figured out is that once the trip is transferred from Basecamp to the thumb drive, I had to drill down to the actual .GPX files inside the folder on the drive that transferred from Basecamp.  I could't figure out how to do it before transferring, so I just did it after putting it on the drive.  Once I did that, I was all set! 

Tomorrow is my first day trip using a route in the HD Nav system.  You better believe I also have the route loaded up in my trusted 665 just in case....

Pretty excited!  I figured something else out in the bike!!  Whoot Whoot!

Thanks Vinver for you help!!

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »

well it in't perfect...  I did get it the trip loaded on the bike but the route is different than the way it looked on Basecamp....

Do I need more waypoints along the way to make it go the way I want to???

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2015, 11:13:17 AM »

well it in't perfect...  I did get it the trip loaded on the bike but the route is different than the way it looked on Basecamp....

Do I need more waypoints along the way to make it go the way I want to???

Using way Basecamp, I would use shaping waypoint not waypoints.  The diffence is that the GPS will announce waypoints.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:16:06 PM by Cat Eye »

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »

I used waypoints after having "Via points" not work for me. I don't care if it announces a road I picked so much.
Will

jagerbomb

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »

I've been extremely disappointed in the way it was behaving when using the Harley planner. I would manually drag the roads around to go on a particular route and the bike would reroute. I then tried the workaround of putting a bunch of waypoints in. Now my music was constantly interrupted announcing data about impending waypoints. Last night I decided to see if I could get one of the routes I had made in mapsource to work. I was able to save a  particularly complicated 300 mile route in the GPX format. I loaded it in the bike, set the preference to twisty and it worked perfectly! We went on that ride today and it was flawless. I had a Garmin on my old bike and loved it, now I'm thrilled with the nav on my new 2015 SESG.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 23 queries.