Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring  (Read 42003 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

How do you stop a route when running. Like just end it. Without  a headset hooked up to use voice command.
Will

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2015, 06:00:31 PM »

I know that one. Look on the middle right of the screen and see this "little" list icon. Touch it and it has a stop selection. This is the first thing (and almost only thing) I had to read the manual to figure out. Otherwise it keeps interrupting the music !!

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »

yep-  routed to home today, even though I knew route, was killing all the good tunes
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »

Used on 660 mile trip one way. Perfect. Route to Home back and good but got a couple of the road directions for NEXT STREET on bottom of screen backwards. Voice would say left and be correct but would show right on bottom of screen.   Also used to plan some short sightseeing trips, all went well. Using base camp to plan.

Base camp however is still not the best thing when searching for a place. Doesn't like to find a known address to hotel or place of interest. Even if I enter the entire address it wont find it at times but gives close matches, which may or may not be close. Find myself using two maps to find a point, find it on one map in any program, see whats close, then try and find it on Base Camp. Then pick it on base camp as waypoint. Works, but just double work for known hotel address at times.
Will

Rollybrick

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

Hi
I've recently sold my 2010 CVO Ultra with a Harley Roadtech sat nav (which I successfully programmed to take me all over the UK and Europe) for a new 2015 CVO Limited. Like many of the comments on the forum, I've had real trouble getting rides planned on Basecamp to "work correctly". However.....my problem; I've just been in contact with my local Harley dealer because I wanted to put "speed camera" POI's onto the Boom Box sat nav. After lots of emails and conversations the reply came back from the UK Harley Northern Territory Manager "it is not possible because the system was not made in the UK". What a load of rubbish! Garmin isn't made in the UK neither is Tom Tom, and neither is the Harley Roadtech which can accept speed cameras. Who in this day an age produces a motorcycle sat nav that can't import speed cameras. A £30,000 Harley that's who!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »

Well, after having some issues due to my lack of reading the Boom owner's manual or this thread, I think I've got everything planned and loaded for a trip starting this Fri to Kerrville, Tx. Tried to load 3 days worth of routes with each one averaging 9 stops and ran out of memory. Cleared all the saved stuff, renamed the stops as waypoints and selected just the route when loading into the bike. Now the only saved locations are the beginning and end stops from each day. I may go back in and rename the waypoints (via points as the Boom calls them) just to be easier for me to bypass them if needed. Hope like hell I've done enough reading. Will update later this week.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »

Well, after having some issues due to my lack of reading the Boom owner's manual or this thread, I think I've got everything planned and loaded for a trip starting this Fri to Kerrville, Tx. Tried to load 3 days worth of routes with each one averaging 9 stops and ran out of memory. Cleared all the saved stuff, renamed the stops as waypoints and selected just the route when loading into the bike. Now the only saved locations are the beginning and end stops from each day. I may go back in and rename the waypoints (via points as the Boom calls them) just to be easier for me to bypass them if needed. Hope like hell I've done enough reading. Will update later this week.

I just got back from a 8 day trip in the Smokey Mts.
I had 8 different routes loaded with about 8 to 15 shaping waypoints/route...loaded from Base Camp.

The size of the GXP files/route were just under 500KB.  So this is less than 4MB of routes loaded for my trip.

You stated that you ran out of memory....does anyone know what the memory limit is on this boom and what things are the memory hogs?  ....ie address book, recording tracks...ect

Thanks

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »

Good luck and have a GREAT Trip.

I have a Middle Tennessee trip in three weeks, so I would appreciate your follow up after your trip.

RIDE ON...........

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

20 day trip planned. plan on loading it day by day and deleting previous day as we go.... might try loading it all at home right now to see if it takes it in memory
Will

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »

Good luck and have a GREAT Trip.

I have a Middle Tennessee trip in three weeks, so I would appreciate your follow up after your trip.

RIDE ON...........
Working as it should as far as hitting the waypoints and such. Weird thing is heading west on TX 123 or whatever the route  number was heading for Waco and knew we needed 35 S. Unit was telling me at the bottom to take 35N up to the point of decision time and then it corrected itself. Know your routes you will run and use the GPS as a crutch to know how far from your next point is. Still a lot of features I haven't bothered to try to use for sure. Satellite weather comes in very handy and so do the traffic alerts.
Another thing you can do is rename your waypoints on your mapping software. Wished I would have done that.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

OBB- how did your waypoints work out?

Anyone having a different or new problem, or reoccurring one from old update to new?

I have reread entire thread and all I can say was the mapping program is still a very important item for planning....each one has its quirks and restrictions but I am sticking to basecamp for now

as for just riding and adding as you go, this works pretty good however pre-planning roads requires some homework to get bike to route...

Important fact to remember is the exact route isn't really copied...the points are saved and transferred to the unit, which then plans route itself,....so roads need to have a waypoint planned if you really want that road

also the unit memory isn't known yet, so removing old items is important
Will

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »

OBB- how did your waypoints work out?

Anyone having a different or new problem, or reoccurring one from old update to new?

I have reread entire thread and all I can say was the mapping program is still a very important item for planning....each one has its quirks and restrictions but I am sticking to basecamp for now

as for just riding and adding as you go, this works pretty good however pre-planning roads requires some homework to get bike to route...

Important fact to remember is the exact route isn't really copied...the points are saved and transferred to the unit, which then plans route itself,....so roads need to have a waypoint planned if you really want that road

also the unit memory isn't known yet, so removing old items is important
Routes were done with ride planner. Followed it well. Don't make your waypoints stops, you'll fill the memory quick! Make them waypoints but you can rename them. Choosing scenic is a great feature if you're just going point A to point B also. Still not as friendly as the 660 I had in the 11 but I can live with it because of the weather and traffic. XM was great on this trip also with all the open roads we took.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »

Anyone had an issue with the Nav system adding trips around the block to your pre-planned routes??

We bought our bike while in Texas attending the same event OBB was at.
 After unsuccessfully trying to get the dealer service folks to help me transfer maps from the Ride Planner website to my bike,
(they looked at me like I was drunk when I explained what I wanted/needed to do, then claimed none of the 50 people working in the place would have a USB thumbdrive), I found a member of our group that did it about 30 seconds(Thanks PeeWee).

Several times while traveling 2 lane roads in Texas and Oklahoma, when we came to a small town the GPS would try to send me on a trip around the block
in the middle of town. Not going to a waypoint or address, just a trip around the block, and that's exactly how it showed up on the map.
Also, if the road we were following made a turn in the middle of town, or we were changing roads in the middle of town, the GPS would send us zig-zagging through town to the next road rather than go to the proper intersection and make the turn.

Most of these I just went the normal way, which I could plainly see on the screen, and it had no issue with it. Finally, it tried to make me do something weird, trip around the block or something, and once I skipped over it's silliness it continually insisted that I needed to go back and make that move even though I was following the rest of the planned route. 50 miles later I finally had to stop, stop the GPS's planned route, then start it over again and everything as fine.

Technology is wonderful..........

2015 CVO Road Glide

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »

for those 'trips around the block' it may be that your waypoint is set off the main road.  I had this issue a couple of times when I first started using my zumo and basecamp.  if I created a route in basecamp, and then transferred it to the zumo, every now and again I would have one of those weird things.  it wasn't until after I learned that before transferring the route to the zumo, you have to blow it up to a large scale and follow it from start to finish to 'verify' that it doesn't do that.  it's really bad if you place a waypoint on the southbound side if your on a northbound route.  it'll make you do a U-turn and circle back to it, then U-turn again to continue on your route.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

ditto on scratch's input...where the point is located can cause this but I have seen a few shortcuts through a neighborhood that nobody in their right mind would take unless the road was closed.
Will
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.