Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Irritating Compensator Rattle Solved  (Read 7248 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Irritating Compensator Rattle Solved
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »

Had two of the new SE compensators 42200064A  and I just couldn't deal with that irritating  rattle it was making. I know this is probably not a new issue, just wanted to pass on a little info that may help someone.     

Compensator rattled  when you would crack it right off of idle, lug it  just a little when taking off, and when you shut  it off. Have been through two  of these since last May, I began to get a little irritated . Didn't spend this kind of  money to have some rattling POS.

Decided to let ESP buy me another compensator and see if we could get this thing quieted down. when Lee pulled it down again the compensator in there didn't look bad. Then he thought , maybe  there's something going on in the gearset.  nothing, it looked perfect..hmm maybe a bad rod? made a few phone calls , then Lee did a set up on a '15 and said , I got on a brand new  '15  here, it rattles and it sounds just like yours...Called Harry, and a buddy of his had the same issue and solved it with an extra spring.  Figured why not, took it back  home, installed an "extra "spring  in it  and it was better but not what it should be.

After reading and doing a lot of research I decided to run out and see Steve @ GMR and pick up a  Compen Saver. http://www.compensaver.com/ Problem solved!!. Quiet like it should be. Thank you Steve..You were right on when I told you what was going on.

Seems the problem is the wonderful 3 piece  Axial roller thrust bearing idea that Harley came up with that goes on the outside of the compensator between the bolt and the  sprocket. In the CompenSaver that " 3 piece  axial bearing" is replaced by a composite  thrust washer..problem solved. Be my guess that the " axial bearing" let's the sprocket move around on the cam beating up the sprocket because of no oil  and hence the noise and the cuttings on the drain plug every time . Maybe someone that really knows what's up here  could comment  further.

This compensator only had about 100 miles on it when I installed the kit Saturday  and already   had  it's share of filings.  Very easy install, fired it up..so sweet..no friggin rattle..rode it up to Harley , Lee listened to it, smiled  and said..Damn...very nice!   Anyway hope I didn't jabber on to long and this information  may help someone. Don't have a dog in this fight, just think it's a great product , that solved the problem! Greg

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Irritating Compensator Rattle Solved
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »

Funny thing about this is that the original design had a simple thrust washer, and the aces at Harley replaced that with that needle bearing gizmo in the latest design.

There's another thread around here talking about the soon to be released new design compensator from Baker.  Knowing them, it will be expensive as hell, but considering the fact that Harley hasn't gotten their's right in seven years and counting, it might be worth a look.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »

My SEUC8 seems to be doing fine regarding the compensator, and it has 23,000+ miles on it now.
Maybe it's just me and I'm not hearing or realizing the problem.  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:37:22 AM »

Funny thing about this is that the original design had a simple thrust washer, and the aces at Harley replaced that with that needle bearing gizmo in the latest design.

There's another thread around here talking about the soon to be released new design compensator from Baker.  Knowing them, it will be expensive as hell, but considering the fact that Harley hasn't gotten their's right in seven years and counting, it might be worth a look.

Jerry

X2 Jerry, Think it's $399, just not not that page yet, personally want to see it running for a while.   I'll let ESP buy me another one if necessary, don't think so now that it has oil.  Just bought the Cornerstone ESP from Jim at kutter, no problem paying the bill...

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »

My SEUC8 seems to be doing fine regarding the compensator, and it has 23,000+ miles on it now.
Maybe it's just me and I'm not hearing or realizing the problem.  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

My FLHRSE5 or (2013 CVO Road King) made it to 25,000 miles before she needed a new compensator. Had the bike at the shop for a 50 dollar detail special they were running and I asked them to put and ear to the compensator and sure enough she needed a new one. The good news was there was still a couple of months of factory warranty left.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »

X2 Jerry, Think it's $399, just not not that page yet, personally want to see it running for a while.   I'll let ESP buy me another one if necessary, don't think so now that it has oil.  Just bought the Cornerstone ESP from Jim at Kutter, no problem paying the bill...

Jerry, I got it !.. Now Harley is going to come out with a "Customer Enhancement Compensator Noise Abatement Program" The kickoff will be in Maggie Valley with Chip emceeing...   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:01:39 AM by Texas 103 »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:34:40 AM »

Last week I installed a new 42200064A in my 2011 CVO. So far it's working nice. I'm not hearing any unusual noise. I did notice that the newest compensator requires 175 ft lbs of final torque vs. 140 on the prior model. Maybe installers aren't tightening it according to spec.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »

I hate constipators. Castor oil seems to help but if you avoid cheesy stuff, there's usually no problems.  ;D
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.