Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Front fork oil  (Read 13781 times)

hogasm

Front fork oil
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »

Just pulled down Bessies front end and drained both front forks. Only 4oz of oil came out of the right fork. 8oz out of the left.

No signs of leaking, even put an air test on the fork to check for leaks. NONE

Could the oil have evaporated?

35000 miles

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Front fork oil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »

Was probably never right from the beginning!

One of the things that sooooooo many people forget about is the quantity of oil in the forks.

You can add a tru/track or ridestr8,
You can have the right air pressure in the tires,
You can align the rear wheel,
You can buy the Progressive shocks,
You can grease the front neck,
You can put the heavy duty oil in the front end,

But imagine how funky the bike will handle if you have different amounts of fluid in each fork.
Each tube reacting differently because some D/A just poured what appeared to be the same amount of fluid in each leg.

It makes a hell of a difference!
I know from experience!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:50:58 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »

Hmmm....I wonder if......   [smiley=nervous.gif]   I felt some funky-clunky fork stuff more than once on the '07 and wondered. any suggestions on  some  covalant-like trick  fork oil?  its chilly up here a lot.  or good ole bel ray?  or moco?  is a little more better or a little less but thicker?  tia   Gene :-?
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »

Hmmm....I wonder if......   [smiley=nervous.gif]   I felt some funky-clunky fork stuff more than once on the '07 and wondered. any suggestions on  some  covalant-like trick  fork oil?  its chilly up here a lot.  or good ole bel ray?  or moco?  [highlight]is a little more better [/highlight]or a little less but thicker?  tia   Gene :-?

That is an old trick from back in the day to use just a tad bit more fork oil than what's specified for a given application.  Don't go crazy with the additional...just a tad bit more will give you a little more rigidity (for lack of a better term)...just be sure to keep the amounts equal like Silver-Black said.   I don't know if changing to a different viscosity of the fork fluid is a good thing to do or not...when in doubt, stick to OEM.        :)        

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »

The standard type E HD oil is about 7.5 weight (they do not publish the exact weight) The Screaming Eagle Oil is about 20 weight. I have changed mine and several others here to 15w with positive results using the prescibed amount.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:15:01 PM by hd-dude »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »

The standard type E HD oil is about 7.5 weight (they do not publish the exact weight) The Screaming Eagle Oil is about 20 weight. I have changed mine and several others here to 15w with positive results using the prescibed amount.

Jim

What brand was the 15W?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »

Jim

What brand was the 15W?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I have used Spectro, and PJ1

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 11:32:26 PM »

Won't the heavier viscosity rattle your teeth in the colder temps?   I've not played around with those heavier weights.  

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 11:32:57 PM »

Thanks for all the info ...I will try the 15w and 1or2 ml's over spec.  I am willing to bet mine is unequal.
no where's that chemistry beeker?  
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:36:04 PM »

Won't the heavier viscosity rattle your teeth in the colder temps?   I've not played around with those heavier weights.  

Have had the 20w SE oil in the red bike since it had 1000 miles on it (give or take a few).  Really needed it as stock it bottomed out under heavy breaking. It is firm now.  But I prefer it that way.  So the difference is very much one of a person's own preferences.  Mind will likely get changed again before this spring overtakes us and I'll stay with the same thing.  It's not been an issue in colder weather.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 12:12:01 AM »

I'm running the 15W and don't have any issues even in the cold weather.  Like I've stated in other threads, it takes the handling from wishy-washy to sure-footed.  You feel the road more and it is a little stiffer, but it's like getting out of an old Cadillac and getting into a new BMW.  You feel more but it handles better and is a lot more fun!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:20:32 AM »

Yeah that would be nice. I sure was having thoughts to the front end feel for the dinero laid out [smiley=nervous.gif]
These PA roads are a little different than the suthern ones... stiff is good [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 01:20:25 PM »

Amsoil

Light [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Medium [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Heavy [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I am going to try the medium weight oil to see if I like it. Anyone tried any of the other weight oils by Amsoil?

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »

from thier site
Recommendations
AMSOIL Shock Therapy Suspension Fluid is recommended for front forks and shocks in snowmobiles, motocross and cruiser motorcycles, ATV's and other racing and recreational use vehicles. Two different formulations are available: The lightweight grade (STL) is recommended, but not limited to, Showa, Kayaba, Bilstein, RydeFX, Penske, WP forks, RACETECH (US1) and Custom Axis suspension systems that demand quick rebounds under extreme hot and cold weather applications, while the medium grade (STM) can be used in Ohlin, FOX, RACETECH (US2), Koni, WP shocks and Harley-Davidson forks that recommend type "E" or "B" fork oils, as well as other applications that require more dampening and slower rebounds. Refer to the owner's manual for individual capacities, proper disassembly and further recommendations. Owner's manuals may refer to weights when recommending suspension oil. These weight numbers are arbitrary because no industry standard exists for classifying suspension oil. The numbers can range from 2.5 to 30, depending on the manufacturer. AMSOIL STL correlates closely to a 5 weight, while AMSOIL STM is close to a 10 weight.

Compatibility
AMSOIL STL and STM can be mixed together based on individual requirements and applications, and they are compatible with most other suspension fluids.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »

I have not used the Amsoil as it is only equivalent to a 5w or 10w oil. 15w is what I have been using......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.