Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's  (Read 8554 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »

Almost forgot the 660 does phone too. I only use it on trips. It accesses my phone by Bluetooth and I use a scala headset. My phonebook, or incoming caller pops up and the screen and all that good stuff. Pretty cool to me, but then I remember rotary phones too.  ;)

Are you old enough to know what a "Party Line" is???
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »

I know you didn't ask me but I was on one until, hard to remember for sure, but I think, around 7 or 8 years old, I think our ring was three shorts, and rotary dial phones were a luxury. I actually loved using the phone as a child, I guess it was a thrill back then to turn the crank and ring the line, yes it was one of the wall phones that you turned the crank on to ring people on the line or the operator.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

The cable in front of the radio (for AUX input) is not needed for the turn by turn directions, it is only needed for the music, I have never had the Aux cable hooked up to my bike or any other bike that I set up, because most people that install the NIM also install the iPod interface and don't care about using the Garmin for music. I thought I had made it clear above, but I must not have, anyway if you want the unit to work with the radio completely, as in, interrupt the radio and give prompts, just not play music or talk on it, then you DO NOT need the Aux cable at all, just the NIM, the Garmin RT Zumo 660/665, and the dash mount, the Aux cable will not be used, as the directions come across the input that was always there on the back of the radio, but is just empty pin placement positions without the NIM, when installing the NIM you  will remove 5 rubber plugs from the connector to the radio and put in 5 pins that are on the NIM harness, this is what interfaces everything with the Garmin, EXCEPT for STEREO music from the Garmin, to have music in stereo from XM or mp3 files on the Garmin, this is what the Aux cable that plugs in the front is needed for, nothing else.

If you look at Fast380's reply (reply #17 and #18) that is exactly how  the NIM  and dash mount will look both with and with the unit, and you may notice that there is no cable attached to the Aux input, exactly the way those pics look, is how it would look, and it would interrupt the radio and give spoken directions.

Ok, I must have gotten confused along the way.  It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but now I understand why.

To earlier posts I already have the Ipod interface if that's what you were talking about?
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »

Oh, but yes! LOL
RETIRED! :fireman:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.