Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: New '15 FLHX FLHXSE motor break in.  (Read 9078 times)

05CVOfatty

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

New '15 FLHX FLHXSE motor break in.
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »

Ok guys. I know we have heard the how's and how not to break in a brand new motorcycle motor. But my last initial break in was my very first of 6 Harleys of my ownership. My first new Harley was a 1999 Sportster 1200C. I must have done it correct because that bike was a joy. My next 4 Harley's were used. Now I'm all grown up and plunked down the bank for my new 2015 Hard Candy Street Glide FLHXSE. 4 miles on the odometer. I want the best tried and true way of a perfect break in. Is it the first 500? miles before any high RPM's or constant highway speeds? When does the initial fluids need to be changed? Are we talking the entire drivetrain? Trans, Primary and motor? Chime in! We have some good  knowledge out there! (sitting on the shelf are my Vance and Hines Power Duals, V&H FuelPak FP3 tuner and CFR mufflers..killing me looking at them in boxes)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: New '15 FLHX FLHXSE motor break in.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »

From manual:

The First 500 Miles (800 Kilometers)

The sound design, quality materials, and workmanship that are built into your new Harley-Davidson will give you optimum performance right from the start.

To allow your engine to wear-in its critical parts, we recommend that you observe the riding rules provided below for the first 500 mi 800 km .

1.During the first 50 mi 80 km of riding, keep the engine speed below 3000 rpm in any gear. Do not lug the engine by running or accelerating at very low rpm, or by running at high rpm longer than needed for shifting or passing.

2.Up to 500 mi 800 km , vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods. Engine speed up to 3500 rpm in any gear is permissible.

3.Drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle until the engine has warmed up.

4.Avoid lugging the engine by not running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears.

5.Avoid hard braking. Break-in new brakes with moderate use for the first 200 mi 300 km .

Will

05CVOfatty

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »

There you have it. Read The Instructions! Sounds good. Put a few miles on it up to 3000 rpm. Then to 3500 varying the speed with no quick take offs or sudden stops. The brakes need to be broken in too. Easy enough. Now get that manual out and thumb through it!  :)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:34 PM »

The manual is written by lawyers and insurance companies.  I know a bit about lawyers.    :huepfenlol2: 

Try a mechanic's method:  Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car ...    :coolblue:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

Never lug it ever and let it warm up a bit before riding like you allays will.

Driver30

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »

First 500 miles, forget you have cruise control.  Starting at 501, ride it like you stole it.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »

Do not get it to not in traffic. Use non synthetic oil for the first 1000 miles. Drain the crap oil the bike comes with, and use regular dyno oil.  Get on the free way asap and do 4th or 5th gear roll onns letting the rpm drop on there own as you shut off the throttle. Then roll on gain with good helping of throttle letting the rpm climb higher every time until you are shutting off the throttle around 5500 rpm. Between roll onns ride for a minute or two to let the temp drop a bit. Do this for 30 miles and your done. Prob 20 roll on cycles. Then go home and change the oil. Then go to the dyno shop and re tune the stock setting to get the correct fuel air mix.  Change the oil in 1000 miles to a non HD brand synthetic.  Then think about getting rid of that Catt. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »

Just ride them, quit worrying about all this "break-in" crap. Owners manual is sort of minumal in recommendations and they made the bike/car/boat or whatever. Drain good oil out? Don't ride in traffic? Crazy man, just use them and enjoy.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »

Just ride them, quit worrying about all this "break-in" crap. Owners manual is sort of minumal in recommendations and they made the bike/car/boat or whatever. Drain good oil out? Don't ride in traffic? Crazy man, just use them and enjoy.

I would not want to be in stop and go traffic in the summer on a new bike for over heating reasons. Other than that most of that stuff is about being more conservative than needed.

crobson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2o17 cvo streetglide
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »

guess I have bought five new bikes now and always rode em like I stole em lol. never had any problems and ended up with a little stronger bike than my buddies. guess I figured there under warranty and if something did mess up just trade it in before warranty expired,  good luck

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »

Yup.....and remember you do have a warranty. :huepfenjump3:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »

guess I have bought five new bikes now and always rode em like I stole em lol. never had any problems and ended up with a little stronger bike than my buddies. guess I figured there under warranty and if something did mess up just trade it in before warranty expired,  good luck

:2vrolijk_21: +1

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »

I had a motor guy tell me a few years ago. If all the guys rode these bikes harder they would run better and last longer.

cheeset202

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »

I had a Harley mechanic tell me the same thing, he said most guys don't run their engines correctly. He told me to shift between 3500 and 4000 rpm, and cruise at 3000 rpm.  He said many people shift at lower rpm, lug the engine and have crankshaft problems.  Been riding that way ever since, never a problem and a lot more fun to ride. He also told me to take it out on the highway and find the rev limiter, kind of like when they Dyno tune the bike, sounds like the engine is going to blow up but he said they are made to run at higher rpm than most people run them.

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:31 PM »

I have a 2010 cvo ultra with 75,000 miles on it. I picked it up from the dealer went right to the freeway in 95 degree heat and rode all the way home at 70 to 80 mph. My bike does not use any oil and runs great. Ride it like ya stole it!!! ;D

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 08:57:01 AM »

From day one I have always driven any type of new vehicle like I intended to drive it the entire time I owned it.  Never had any motor issues.  Have purchased used vehicles that were babied and blew the motors.  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:16:23 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

05CVOfatty

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 12:34:13 AM »

Exactly how I am doing the break in. Thanks all!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »

Imho, the biggest issues are, don't ride in congested areas - Get out to the countryside.  Make sure you stay above 2,000 and don't lug it.  Do a good number of increasing acceleration sprints, in mid-gears.  Start at 3/4 throttle a few times going up to ~3,500, working your way up to full throttle up to ~4,000 to 4,500 a few times.  Then just vary the rpms and keep giving it some sprints every now and then for the first 500 miles. It's all about building cylinder pressures to seat the rings properly.  You don't need to be going full redline or banging gears to do a good break in. Actually moderate full throttle roll ons from 2,500 to 4,000 in 3rd and 4th gear are great.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »

WFO!  Change gears when the Motor changes tunes!  Run it up on the chip in the first 5.  On the chip in 6th gear is definitely carrying the mail, however I can't say I've been there.  Yet.  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: There endeth the lesson.  8) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »

Had an old harley guy tell me to ride it like you would normally do so (as most have already stated) but in the first few hundred miles, get on some hills and on the down side, let the motor slow you (engine compression braking) to allow the valves to seat in properly.  My "first" harley was already broken in (by somebody that followed the above advice).  That '89 is still going strong with over 100K on the clock and no major issues (motor wise).  Every HD I've had since I've followed the same brake in routine.  Seems to fair well for me. 

Oh, the old harley guy was someone I'd trust...he had 4 patents registered with the MoCo over the years.  He's also the one that said in all the motors he had worked on over the decades, he could tell the ones that used HD oil and the ones that did not.  According to Mr. Poole, the HD motors were always cleaner inside during tear-down....one reason I still stick with HD oil.  Larry has gone on to be with the Lord but his advice has stuck and has proven well with me. 

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »

an old harley guy

Older than you? :D

ultrarider123

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:37 PM »

Older than you? :D
yep, but not by much... ;D

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

My last two bikes have been brand new Harleys. I subscribe to the "ride it like you stole it' school of thought.
I sit around 3000 rpm and the bikes have been problem-free.

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »

Bakon is right on! I go thur each gear and ride it steady for a small duration from time to time during brake in.   I didn't crack the wick until I had 1000+ miles on it and not looking back!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »

I had my bike in for it's first service at 501 miles. Sounds crazy but, I took advantage of the cheaper winter service rates and no waiting in the service department.
Hard Candy Mercury/Smokey Quartz Flames
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
Rinehart 4" exhaust with Black tips
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner
Yaffe Originals CVO Stealth III Plate Cover
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Motor Mount Linkage
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent
OEM Chrome Passanger Back Rest & CVO Pad
OEM Chrome Saddlebag Latches
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.