Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: replacing battery tender lead  (Read 1581 times)

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7- Black & Orange
replacing battery tender lead
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »

Somehow, my battery tender cable end came in contact with the hot exhaust and melted it a bit, still useable but looks bad, I am going to replace it this weekend which will require disconnecting the battery, if I pull the Maxi Fuse, which I think is the correct way to avoid the security siren from sounding, is there anything that I should be concerned about ? I know the radio settings will all need to be re-set, along with the clock, is there anything else ? Will all of the ECM settings from my TTS Tuner still be ok ? Thanks !!

mark

Re: replacing battery tender lead
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »

You'll be fine (other than what you mentioned about resetting the clock).  I've pulled mine several times in order to remove the tank and no problems.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:52:09 AM »

Mark is correct.  To avoid the siren, turn ignition switch ON before pulling main fuse. Then turn switch off before inserting fuse.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »

So I can remove the battery tender leads without disconnecting the battery, I've cut out a smidgen more than 1/4  of both the positive and negative lead connections.  Actually, I do that to all additional connections including the Custom Dynamics voltage regulator installed for my front LED halo turn signals.  I can loosen the connections, slide the terminal out and waller, removed and battery connection not disturbed.  It saves quite a bit of time changing/removing/installing connections and no need to re-program everything and no alarm issues.  May not work for you but it's been something I've done for years and works great....

Here's an example of what I'm speaking of....may help you and others with this issue in the future.

This is before...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:59:34 AM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »

And after....

Just to re-emphasis...this is something I do.  It may not be for you or others.... :2vrolijk_21:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »

And after....

Just to re-emphasis...this is something I do.  It may not be for you or others.... :2vrolijk_21:

I do the same thing, makes things easier. If I'm feeling ambitious when installing an accessory I'll change the ring terminal to an actual spade terminal instead of cutting that little "notch" in it.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.