Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Won't start with clutch pulled in after Yaffe 10" bar install - Solved  (Read 2509 times)

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged

I have been thinking about installing Yaffe Bars on my bike for about a year.  After reading all the posts here and a couple of other forums.  I decided to do it.  Overall went very well.  I took my time and was able to pull the wires thru the bars in about 30 minutes.  One reason I went ahead was that I installed the Non Ultra Overlay harness last year along with XM, CB, NIM, Zumo 665 and Intercom.  I wanted to pull a new set of wires that included the Push-to-talk button for the intercom and CB anyway so I went ahead.

As I said everything went great.  I tested all the switched before buttoning it up and all was well.  Went for first test ride and stopped in town to pick up something.  When I came back out the bike wouldn't start.  I was already dreading having to call my wife to bring the truck and hear the "I told you so".....  :-[

I shifted into neutral, tried again and it started right up.  On the way home I noticed my Power Vision was not displaying the gear indication and the volume on my radio would go down but not up.  :(

I decided it must be something in the left side wiring, connectors or switch control housing so I started at the housing.

Solutions:
I opened up the control housing and could tell that the volume switch was seated incorrectly so I fixed that and reassembled.  Volume worked but would not start in gear with the clutch pulled in.  I remembered one time that I changed levers on another bike and had the same symptom so I started looking at the clutch switch.  I noticed that a hydraulic clutch was opposite from a regular clutch.  On a regular clutch lever there is a little protrusion  that depresses the clutch switch to tell the ECM that the clutch is pulled in.  Either the bike has to be in neutral or if in gear with the clutch pulled in it will start.  On a hydraulic clutch, when you pull in the clutch, it disengages the switch.... ??? 

OK, the switch must be different... so I looked them up.  Sure enough... On my 2010 FLHXSE, the clutch switch is  71699-07 and is called a clutch Lockout switch.  On a 2010 FLHX for instance the clutch switch is 71620-08.  They do very different things!!!! :orange:

So I tested it.  With clutch in and in gear - would not start.  With clutch out and in gear - would start but hold on!  With bike it neutral would start either way.   So I replaced the regular clutch switch with the one from my original wiring harness and all it good   :bananarock: :bananarock:

I started not to post anything here but thought this might help someone else.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:37:19 AM by JustDennis »
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

Won't start with clutch pulled in after Yaffe install - Solved
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »

One thing that I think worked well that I wanted to mention was that I removed all but about 2 inches of the sheathing covering the wires and replaced it with heat shrink.  That made the wire bundle compact and a little stiff.  If you get someone to help and use the push pull method the wires go thru pretty easily.   Actually end up pushing the wires thru the bars and you can tug on the pull string/chain/wire to start the wire around the tight bends.  I wrapped a 25 lb masonry string around the last 4 inches or so and wrapped with electrical tape.  The wire bundle was stiff but the last few inches were flexible to make the conrners.  I also got some of that wire lube that is used to pull wires thru conduit at Lowe's  Much easier that I thought it would be. 

Really glad I installed the bars.  They are the 10" Yaffe MBB, worked fine with Hydraulic clutch mount.  Very comfortavble and look good too.  Of course I removed the fairing mirrors because my hands block them.  Now just need to find the perfect mirror...  the mods never end!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:38:01 PM by JustDennis »
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Won't start with clutch pulled in after Yaffe install - Solved
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »

Nice job Dennis, you won't be disappointed!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »

Dennis,

Where did you buy them, been looking prices are all over the map.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »

Dennis,

Where did you buy them, been looking prices are all over the map.
Ordered them from Revzilla. I have gotten several things from them lately. Good prices quick delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »

Ordered them from Revzilla. I have gotten several things from them lately. Good prices quick delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »

That's a great catch on the clutch switch and thanks for sharing.  If they'll interchangeably mount that is the type of problem that is too easily missed.  Nicely done  :2vrolijk_21: .

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.