Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: HOG or not HOG?  (Read 6825 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
HOG or not HOG?
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

I've been a member of the Harley Owners Group (HOG) since 1999 and have held several officer positions in different chapters. I've become disenchanted with HOG in general and specifically our local chapter. Too much heavy handed, deep in the weeds involvement by the GM taking the chapter in directions I'm not comfortable going. I'm also seeing increased oversight by national HOG. I'm considering not renewing my memberships (local & national) this year and just focusing on getting back to the pure enjoyment of just riding.
I'm wondering how many of our site members are members of national HOG, local HOG or both and how they feel about their membership experience.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:43:57 PM by SEULTRA »

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
Re: HOG or not HOG?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

I agree with alot of what you are saying. When the organization becomes the focus and not the riding itself, it is definately a buzz kill. Having said that, it seems that the attitude varies by chapter.
I am a member and not active locally....our chapter is all about who has what. I enjoy riding and the FREEDOM it brings. When I ride by myself or with a small group of friends, I get to still feel the freedom I seek without the B.S. and the grandstanding or arguements.

IMHO, to each his own. Hopefully everyone finds a home with people he or she enjoys.
Rick
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »

I tried the Local...lasted one meeting never returned.

keep the national as I do like the Tour Book!

Just hit 10 years.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »

I tried the Local...lasted one meeting never returned.

keep the national as I do like the Tour Book!

Just hit 10 years.

/Bill
I bet I can guess why you like the Tour Book. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »

I'm a Member Nationally and Locally, however I don't participate.  Haven't for years.  The members here, don't have the same riding habits as I do.  Glad you brought that up.  WTF do I need to waste that cash for?  I can't think of any benefit I've received from it, other than Hog-Tales, which is no more than a PC Motorcycle Mag.  I get a lot more charge out of "In The Wind", and "Easyrider."  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »

I'm like Bill, just keep the Nat'l. for the annual map w/ new dealer locations (always slightly out of whack) AND the now included road-side assistance program AND the punch and popcorn at the exclusive member's only area during the new products roll out at Daytona ea. year.  That's always causing me to 're-up' .. [smiley=drink.gif]..har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »

.....  I get a lot more charge out of "In The Wind", and "Easyrider."  Later--HUBBARD  
Oh yea!!!!! [smiley=2vrolijk_21.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »

i keep both nat and local active. for the parts discount at the local dealer. never been to a chapter meeting
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

I assume there is a local chapter....  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]   Did the Life Membership thing a long time ago when it was still cheap.  So I can show up at whatever sponsored rallies or events I might choose and I get the junk mail.  Aside from that..... nehhhhhhhhhh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:45:30 PM by twolanerider »

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »

I'm currently a National member, and was a member of the local chapter when the dealer paid for it (part of bike purchase program).  I have never been to a meeting of this chapter and my membership lapsed.  Nothing against them, but I have enough meetings at work, and I like to ride when and where I want. With a 16 year old and a 13 year old, the schedule stays  pretty hectic.

Perhaps as I age their type of events and social events will appeal to me, but at this time, just do not have the time or desire.

To each his own.  There are probably tons of great folks that are very active and provide a great experience in these local chapters.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »

I am a member of the local club and somewhat small but we are raffleing off a 07 serk blue in june for $20/ticket and give all the procedes to a local needy family as a hand up.   Like kids with cancer family's and real deal needy folk.  if for that reason and the atlas and coffee  i am for the cause. I still ride where and when I want with whom ...  when ya die with all the money  your sitll dead [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »

I am a member nationally and local. I do it mainly for the discount at my local dealer and as a backup group to ride with at times. I belong to several groups and it does get hard at times since they all seem to support the same charity rides so I am there to support the charity in general.
I do enjoy the map books and stuff from national but I do realize it's basically propaganda from the MOCO.

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 01:16:39 AM »

I am a National and Local member, and currently Head Road Captain in my chapter. I mainly stayed with the HOG chapter here because of the people. We have around 15 to 20 bikes on our weekly Sunday rides. Most of the members are the people I ride with during non-events anyway. Being here in Hawaii and being a main-lander many of the local clubs want nothing to do with you or I want nothing to do with them. I also don't want to commit to some 3 patch club for life.

take care.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 03:11:22 AM »

Got my packet yesterday  :)  [smiley=orange.gif]  :)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 04:58:04 AM »

I'm a National HOG member, but not associated with any local chapters.  Have been to a couple of local HOG meetings, where it seems to be the usual politics and drama.  I ride to be free, not to get into petty BS.  Same reason I'm not affiliated with any other club.  Just my 2 cents...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »

I'm National HOG life member and local member.
Never, I hold an officer position because I'm active member in other association where I hold charges in the Area, National and International level.
I've not enough time for the organisation of my Chapter (300 members).
So, I'm pleasure to participate for the rides during 2, 3 or more days with the others riders in HD and it's in the Chapter that they are.
It's possible to ride during one day (2 times in month) but it's for the members that they ride not many miles during the season. It's less interesting and I prefer to ride alone or only with 2 or 3 guys.
In France and in Europe, it's a little bit different than the States because the riders are not in majority with HD or similar. They are more with german , italian, english or other bikes. It's not the same style for riding. It's one reason why it's necessary to be member of HD club (HOG or not).
I'm not very interresting by the big HD events ( national, or european rally) because is too many people and we meet all and nobody. If you participate with a group of friends you stay always with these friends. I think that it's not necessary to go to these events for that.
Sure the HD organisation is often perfect.

I like the philosophy of the CVO meeting but it's in US.
If we develop this spirit with the others CVO's riders (that they are not yet on the site) in Europe, perhaps, it'll be possible to organise the same meeting.

It's possible to discuss long time on this object, it's our passion !

Ride safe ! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 07:56:55 AM »

Good question;

We belong to both, local and national. Got the life thing for the national and do enjoy the meager benefits associated w/the same. The local Chapt. is clearly dominated by the dealership owner and his focus is strictly on numbers ($$ and members 450 +/-). We've met some great people through the Chapt. and the meetings give us a chance to get together w/ them as we're pretty spread out. The local has loads and loads of B.S. Just like any other volunteer org. Cliques, politics, all of that crap. We choose to ignore it all and just get out of it what we want. If your expectations are that you'll join a close knit group where everyone gets along and wants the same thing, forget it. If you want to meet some folks and make some new friends that share some of your interests, you've got a real good chance w/ the local

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 08:16:48 AM »

I've been  a local and National member here in the UK for the last six years and paid for life membership a couple of years ago. I'm a Road Captain and am about to become the local Club Treasurer in 2007.

When I first joined the local Chapter I used to get up tight about the petty politics, arguments and mild back stabbing that goes on. Now I just let these things wash over me as I have many good friends in the Chapter who I share a lot of good times with. You will always get a few people in a club (we have just over 300 members in our Chapter) who like to stir it, but they are easily ignored and the good stuff easily outweighs the bad stuff.

I enjoy going to the European HOG Rallies, but I particularly enjoy the getting there and the getting back, which I normally do with a small bunch of friends. HOG helps me keep in touch with whats going on the World of Harley, but I'm just as happy doing my own thing.

I pay my money and dip in and out as I see fit - surely that's a good recipe.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Nige
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:18:59 AM by ahog110 »
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »

I'm National HOG life member and local member.
Never, I hold an officer position because I'm active member in other association where I hold charges in the Area, National and International level.
I've not enough time for the organisation of my Chapter (300 members).
So, I'm pleasure to participate for the rides during 2, 3 or more days with the others riders in HD and it's in the Chapter that they are.
It's possible to ride during one day (2 times in month) but it's for the members that they ride not many miles during the season. It's less interesting and I prefer to ride alone or only with 2 or 3 guys.
In France and in Europe, it's a little bit different than the States because the riders are not in majority with HD or similar. They are more with german , italian, english or other bikes. It's not the same style for riding. It's one reason why it's necessary to be member of HD club (HOG or not).
I'm not very interresting by the big HD events ( national, or european rally) because is too many people and we meet all and nobody. If you participate with a group of friends you stay always with these friends. I think that it's not necessary to go to these events for that.
Sure the HD organisation is often perfect.

I like the philosophy of the CVO meeting but it's in US.
[highlight]If we develop this spirit with the others CVO's riders (that they are not yet on the site) in Europe, perhaps, it'll be possible to organise the same meeting.[/highlight]

It's possible to discuss long time on this object, it's our passion !

Ride safe ! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Jacques

Hey Bis - maybe it's time some of us Europeans started to do something about organising a CVO event ?

I'm sure we would get a few hundred to turn out and it could become a cracking small event.

[smiley=banana.gif]

Nige
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:22:08 AM by ahog110 »
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »

I've been  a local and National member here in the UK for the last six years and paid for life membership a couple of years ago. [highlight]I'm a Road Captain and am about to become the local Club Treasurer in 2007[/highlight].

Nige

Congratulations for your promotion ! [smiley=drink.gif]
We have our Annual Meeting Friday 19th January.
After more 10 years, our president stops his charge and one of the team will replace him.

Jacques
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »

I'm a Life Member the wife is a full member. We both belong to our local HOG chapter. Mainly for the discount. We like to ride and do our own thing. The local club seem to have this 200 mile circle they never ride outside of. We like to venture and ride long distance. So that leaves most of the local HOG members out. They won't even support their own State Rally account it is 300 miles away.
We do try to attend State Rallies like Maine, Idaho, Oregon and North Carolina. Any that fit into our schedule. Also have attended a few national rallies which we enjoyed.
We also attended Road Candy Tour National Event and really enjoyed the event.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:55:29 AM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »

It's not consistent with most of you. I'm a member when I buy a new bike. It's free. I met a bunch of guys from local. Different philosophy and riding style than myself and my friends. It's also very clickish. I'm not into riding politics of any type. I choose to stay independant. You'll never see a patch on my back of any type. The atlases are cool for dealer locations and helmet rules on the road. I don't need one every year. I don't collect pins and patches. "I just wanna be free to ride my machine...! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

My wife and I are both full life members. I'm one of the orginal members of our local chapter from start up. just celebrated our chapters 20th ann. in 06.  Been head road captain for the past 14 years.  just gave that up last month, became treasurer Jan. 06.  real tough doing both jobs all year. Wife just became secretary.  we have 356 members.

yes you will always get a few - strange ones - that try to create problems.  We also belong to the Red Knights.  have the same problem there.

But like everyone said,,, you ride to enjoy.. so it's what you make of it.  I love it and have many great friends and riding companions.  can't go anywhere in western NY without bumping in to one of our members.  always have someone to converse with.

[smiley=apple.gif]

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

cigarmike

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »

I got my 1 free year when I bought the bike, never went, mainly cause all my friends who have went to the meetings here, said it sucked. As much BS as  Little league and or Cheerleading sometimes, Me being an ex president of Little league, and having a daughter thats an ex-cheerleader and seeing all the drama first hand, thats was all I needed to hear, not saying that all chapters are the same, and God Bless you if your local Chaptor is not....but Im way too traumatised from my kid's Teenage years to take any chances. And as far as the Bob Dron discount ( I remember the salesman telling me about this at purchase that Drons was the local sponsor)....I get a better deal online for Geniune HD parts than Drons could ever give me with their Hog Discount. And a Penny NOT spent at Oakland HD,  is a Penny well spent anywhere else.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »

Life Member for a bunch of years
Local member to 3 HOG Chapters 2 in IA and 1 in CA
CA chapter I was very active as I served almost every position including Director - manage lots of different attitudes
Since moving to Iowa (almost 1 year) I have become active with 1 HOG chapter and damned if I wasn't name Activity Dir
I thought, I had being an officer out of my system but I have tons of ideas for rides it should be a fun year.

Guess one of the biggest reason I am active in HOG is that I seem to move around the USA every 5 years or so
HOG lets me make friends quicker as my only passion/hobby is riding Scooters

There are good chapters and weak chapters as well as clicky groups within most of the chapters
But O'well to me its all about the riding and friendships that I will fine and make.

To each his own but get out and ride and enjoy your Harley-Davidson

jeffj

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »

I've been  a local and National member here in the UK for the last six years and paid for life membership a couple of years ago. I'm a Road Captain and am about to become the local Club Treasurer in 2007.

When I first joined the local Chapter I used to get up tight about the petty politics, arguments and mild back stabbing that goes on.[highlight] Now I just let these things wash over me as I have many good friends in the Chapter who I share a lot of good times with. You will always get a few people in a club (we have just over 300 members in our Chapter) who like to stir it, but they are easily ignored and the good stuff easily outweighs the bad stuff.[/highlight]
I enjoy going to the European HOG Rallies, but I particularly enjoy the getting there and the getting back, which I normally do with a small bunch of friends. HOG helps me keep in touch with whats going on the World of Harley, but I'm just as happy doing my own thing.

I pay my money and dip in and out as I see fit - surely that's a good recipe.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Nige
Hey Nige, you got the right idea there, my friend.  If only we could all take it in stride like that, we'd be better off.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »

I have been a National member since getting my SEEG. Last week I signed up for our local Hog membership. During the summer it's hard to make the meetings due to work but I figured I would give it a shot. Especially since Ultrafxr, PHAZE, and MJZ are members along with a few other folks I know, I thought it would be fun to get some rides in with these Fellers! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]Tonight would be my first meeting but couldn't make it due to a pain in my........neck! Oh well, maybe next time!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »

I keep my membership just for the discount on parts and the map book.  After holding a patch with a 1% club for 10 years,  I find these guys amusing.  They really do think that they are the cream of the crop bikers,  when in reality.....MOST can't ride worth a sh$t.  In fact,  I've been on rides with them (toy runs, blanket runs and poker runs),  and to be honest......if they are around,  I either leave 20 minutes after,  or leave when they do and of course arrive an hour before they do (just so I don't have to take the chance at amatuer hour). My appologies to our membership for those of you who are active members (I didn't mean you).  JMO!!!

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »

I keep my membership just for the discount on parts and the map book.  After holding a patch with a 1% club for 10 years,  I find these guys amusing.  They really do think that they are the cream of the crop bikers,  when in reality.....MOST can't ride worth a sh$t.  In fact,  I've been on rides with them (toy runs, blanket runs and poker runs),  and to be honest......if they are around,  I either leave 20 minutes after,  or leave when they do and of course arrive an hour before they do (just so I don't have to take the chance at amatuer hour). My appologies to our membership for those of you who are active members (I didn't mean you).  JMO!!!

_Beagle

I agree Bro, most of em are the biggest bunch of posers this side of Hollyweird. AND remember, don't sit in their chairs, it makes em testy. What'd you bet the next time we go down to the stealer for free BBQ ( NOT!) they have HOG stickers on all the chairs  ;)

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »

I've been a member of National and a local chapter since starting back to riding and purchasing a Harley in 1999. Held the position of Activities Director in 2002, but since that time have not been active in the chapter. Decided this year not to renew my membership in local chapter as I was only doing it for discounts (I now know where I can get better discounts from dealers on the internet) and didn't really have the time to go to meetings and participate in the local functions. I will still retain my National membership at this time.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 10:42:57 PM »

I've been a member of the Harley Owners Group (HOG) since 1999 and have held several officer positions in different chapters. I've become disenchanted with HOG in general and specifically our local chapter. Too much heavy handed, deep in the weeds involvement by the GM taking the chapter in directions I'm not comfortable going. I'm also seeing increased oversight by national HOG. I'm considering not renewing my memberships (local & national) this year and just focusing on getting back to the pure enjoyment of just riding.
I'm wondering how many of our site members are members of national HOG, local HOG or both and how they feel about their membership experience.
Jay:

I am a member local and national...  been to exactly one meeting (guess who I saw there!)...
national has some perks....  i have used the fly and ride option about 4 times to make an otherwise shiitte business trip into an adventure...  that and the atlas make it pretty worthwile..
the local thing...mayhaps you should fill me in?  
I also got the LOH ladies to wrap my xmas stuff this year!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »

I am a member of the local club and somewhat small [highlight]but we are raffleing off a 07 serk blue in june for $20/ticket and give all the procedes to a local needy family as a hand up.[/highlight]   Like kids with cancer family's and real deal needy folk.  if for that reason and the atlas and coffee  i am for the cause. I still ride where and when I want with whom ...  when ya die with all the money  your sitll dead [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
and we get tickets how?

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »

d00d,
    The pay as you go dickscount is good for the last minute items...........paid for 3 yrs in one shot.........never again.  The HOG thing is the biggest joke running here in SoCal (these guy's really think they belong to an " association of motorcycle enthusiasts.....AKA a 1%er club"....when in reality,  they are the newbie, wannabie's that have $20K+++ to throw at a bike that they ride maybe 5K miles a year........)BTW,  BB's post about the chair was real (down trying to get free lunch today at SDHD......) haven't seen the big man in action for 5 or 6 years now,  but know for a fact.........Big man's still got game!!!!!!  lOOK OUT hOGGIES!!!!

_Beage
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:36 PM »

I'm just gonna say this and I really don't care who I piss off. The whole HOG thing is a the MoCo's nod and wink to the mystique of the 1% clubs. They pretend that they don't want to be associated with that side of things and then they go and start their own version , right down to the style of the patch. Don't tell me for a minute whoever you are that when you're struttin around with your HOG "colors" you don't think you're some big and bad biker. There aren't enough words in the dictionary for me to properly diss this whole bunch of Posers. And yeah Bro, if the SOB that wanted his chair back had the stones to try and take it from me I might just have fed him the effin thing complete with some of Reggies's nacho cheese. I know there are good folks who join for a lot of good reasons. The problem is that 99.9% of all of the HOG officers I've ever seen a the biggest bunch of wannbes that ever pretended to be something they aren't. I've never met a one of em who could have lasted a day as a prospect for a real 1% club, let alone do the whole program AND in case some of you might not know this, earning a 1% patch ( impossibly hard) is just the beginning. Wearing one is a 24/7/365 never let your guard down proposition. So anyone who PRETENDS to have colors really and I mean freakin really gets my blood boiling. I wore one for 15 years in two different clubs on both coasts and paid for it in more ways that I care to remember , let alone talk about.  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Big B
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:41:09 PM by SPIDERMAN »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »

I have been a National member since getting my SEEG. Last week I signed up for our local Hog membership. During the summer it's hard to make the meetings due to work but I figured I would give it a shot. Especially since Ultrafxr, PHAZE, and MJZ are members along with a few other folks I know, I thought it would be fun to get some rides in with these Fellers! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]Tonight would be my first meeting but couldn't make it due to a pain in my........neck! Oh well, maybe next time!
                                                                  JR [smiley=banana.gif]

JR we missed you bro.  Was hoping you'd be able to make it.  See you soon. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »

I'm just gonna say this and I really don't care who I piss off. The whole HOG thing is a the MoCo's nod and wink to the mystique of the 1% clubs. They pretend that they don't want to be associated with that side of things and then they go and start their own version , right down to the style of the patch. Don't tell me for a minute whoever you are that when you're struttin around with your HOG "colors" you don't think you're some big and bad biker. There aren't enough words in the dictionary for me to properly diss this whole bunch of Posers. And yeah Bro, if the SOB that wanted his chair back had the stones to try and take it from me I might just have fed him the effin thing complete with some of Reggies's nacho cheese. I know there are good folks who join for a lot of good reasons. The problem is that 99.9% of all of the HOG officers I've ever seen a the biggest bunch of wannbes that ever pretended to be something they aren't. I've never met a one of em who could have lasted a day as a prospect for a real 1% club, let alone do the whole program AND in case some of you might not know this, earning a 1% patch ( impossibly hard) is just the beginning. Wearing one is a 24/7/365 never let your guard down proposition. So anyone who PRETENDS to have colors really and I mean freakin really gets my blood boiling. I wore one for 15 years in two different clubs on both coasts and paid for it in more ways that I care to remember , let alone talk about.  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Big B

Big B, just speaking from my own personal experience I couldn't disagree with you more.  I'm a life member of national HOG and been very active in our local chapter for almost 10 years as road captain (forever), activities officer, director and treasurer.  Personally I'm not interested in anything that requires 24/7/365 lifestyle/lifetime commitment.  I just want to ride and have fun and that's exactly what our chapter (600 members) does.  Wasn't always that way but I pitched in and helped make it an active, riding (yes daylong 400 mile rides and overnighters too) club where folks are genuine friends and share the comraderie of the road.  I'm not interested in being a 1% but for those that are - go for it.  Just my '$.02 worth.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 11:50:12 PM »

I am a member of the local club and somewhat small but we are raffleing off a 07 serk blue in june for $20/ticket and give all the procedes to a local needy family as a hand up.   Like kids with cancer family's and real deal needy folk.  if for that reason and the atlas and coffee  i am for the cause. I still ride where and when I want with whom ...  when ya die with all the money  your sitll dead [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

ESJ Jester, how do we get tix for the raffle dude?  Website?  Email?  Etc?  
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

hogasm

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 10:46:39 AM »

I am a national and local member. The local chapter just started about 3-4 months ago. I had visions that this new chapter would be different than the 2 others that the dwner of the dealership has. His influence has ben evident from meeting 1.
I just can't get into rides that go from 1 of his dealerships to another. This is not my idea of riding. It also seems that there are around 5-6 people that are at every meeting and seem to run everything the way that they want or the way the owner wants. For this reason I am not going to accept the bid to become the chapter president. It might be an honer, but I am a doer and not a follower.
On the national level I have friends that have ridden longer that I have been alive. 43 years. They have never been a member of HOG and never will. In their words, HOG has done nothing for them. I did use the fly and ride feature last month in Vegas. The money I spent for membership paid for itself using this feature. Last year was the first year I paid for a membership since I have purchased a new bike each year since getting back into riding. Last year Kathy got the membership.
 Last year was the first year I paid for a membership since I have purchased a new bike each year since getting back into riding. Last year Kathy got the membership.
Will I pay next year for a membership, probably not.

My .02 worth.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:47:03 AM by hogasm »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »

HOG Motto is "Ride and Have Fun!"  

Happens to be mine too!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Jamey and I are both life members nationally, so there is nothing much to think about there.

Locally, we were happily members of the local chapter where we bought our first bike and we were very active in the chapter prior to moving to Fort Lee area.  Here we joined a chapter where more people went from restauraunt to restaurant - none of them any good - by four wheels than did two.  They appeard to be insulted when I asked at a LOH meeting if any of the girls actually rode their bikes anywhere and would any of them like to go for rides.  They never wanted to go as far as I wanted to go or for as long.  So ---------- we looked for a new local chapter.  We joined the North Richmond chapter and have been members for a couple of great years.  We have a found a couple of folks who ride like us and that is great.  We have just recently joined the South Richmond chapter (go figure - it is 20 miles from home as opposed to 50 miles) and we rode with them yesterday for a 120 mile ride in the mid 70s and had a fantastic lunch with 50 - 60 other riders.  The ride - divided in two groups was really right on.  Not too fast, not too slow, just right.  So between two local chapter we get to have a better chance at finding folks to ride with us.  We had two fantastic Christmas parties to go to where the food and entertainiment was fun and good and we have enjoyed the participation.  We do not support the local dealer usually when they have open houses, mainly cause we just can't stand in a parking lot when riding could be done instead, but the discount and the comraderie are great.  Between the two of us, we have held about every officer position and have recruited many to fill in behind us.  It is a lot of fun, and when we go to the local rallies, we have a lot of friends.  To everyone their own.   ;)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »

Lest anyone think I am disrespecting any of you personally

It's not the people I don't like, it's the make believe colors  If HOG existed without the "colors"  top rocker, center patch ,bottom rocker, pocket patch, life member phoney baloney patches, I'd never say a word. An organization of motorcycle enthusiasts is a wonderful thing. And having a one piece patch isn't all that bad either if you want a way of saying to the world " I belong to - - - "  It's when it gets into the three piece patch and mimicks all the trappings of the 1% world that it goes astray. I do not mean to disrespect all of the good things that many of the local HOG chapters do, but at the end of the day, no one will ever convince me that in their heart of hearts the folks all decked out in thier "cuts" with their " colors "  don't think of themselves EVER, (not for one minute ) as an " outlaw biker" The MoCo with all their advisors and study groups and such knew this when they started HOG and realized they could create a benign version of (name your favorite Big Time 1% club) and capitalize on it. They shied away from it for awhile in trying to compete with " You meet the nicest people on a Honda " and realized they couldn't ever completely erase that image from people's minds , so why not captitalize on it.

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »

You’re right Spiderman, these HOG folks have gotten too big for their Road Zeppelin saddles. I recently heard about a couple arriving at an afternoon luncheon social, riding their Harley-Davidson. These unworthy citizens didn’t bother to ask the Hostess if they could wear their black leather to the gathering. It was satisfying to hear that they were later forced to drink their tea without milk, as punishment for their indiscretion.

Almost makes me want to cancel my 21 year long Life Membership to HOG; I would cut up my HOG card right now if I could find it......BTW, anyone got milk?

djkak
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:51:20 PM by djkak »

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »

I'm a Life member and participate quite actively in our local Chapter.  We have a great chapter and I must say some of my best friends were met through the Hog Chapter.  I like the idea of the organized National Hog rallies and such and will remain active for a long time to come.  Your Chapter is a direct result of what you put into it and how you participate.

Cheers, Moe [smiley=banana.gif]
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 08:20:47 PM »

i have know a number of 1%'rs used to hang/party with a club. were a good bunch of blue collar guys. but they never did much riding, the "lifestyle" didnt allow enough time for it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »

i have know a number of 1%'rs used to hang/party with a club. were a good bunch of blue collar guys. [highlight]but they never did much riding, the "lifestyle" didnt allow enough time for it
[/highlight]

I couldn't agree more Neil which is one of the reasons I'm a walking advertisement for all things Screamin Eagle and H-D these days. My whole point in the above is not to defend or promote the    1%er lifestyle ( I'm more like a reformed smoker on the subject actually) but to point out that HOG is subliminally based on the outlaw image and that one does not aquire an outlaw patch simply by ponying up $50 a year, not does one wear that patch without paying a price not measured in dollars.In the beginning,  it was me and my motorcycle riding somewhere, anywhere just me, my bike and the open road. 40 years later I've come full circle and I couldn't be happier. Just me, my bike and the open road. What's nice is to have good folks like you and this thing you've created with this website to meet me at the end of that road.

B B  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 08:32:22 PM by SPIDERMAN »

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 12:31:41 PM »

I'm with ya , I've been a member of the local chapter all along , but this year I'm thinking of just staying National. I had WAY more fun with the CVO group in Maggie Valley than I ever had with my local chapter
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »

I'm with ya , I've been a member of the local chapter all along , but this year I'm thinking of just staying National. [highlight]I had WAY more fun with the CVO group in Maggie Valley [/highlight]than I ever had with my local chapter

Nidan, my friend, those of us who were lucky enough to attend, know exactly what you mean there.  

This is why we have made it a point to go to York to meet up with CVO riders after the 05 MV event, why we went back to MV in 06, why we want to ride to KC to take a tour and eat steak, why we will go all the way to Nelson, BC to meet up with folks from the West side of our great country.

We still hang out with the HOG chapter locally when we are not chasing down the CVO friends, but the CVO friends are truly the BEST!  

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 01:14:27 PM »

Mrs WeCVO,

Nice speech !
I've not share the CVO meeting but I appreciate the spirit.
You resume the essentials and it's perfect. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Regards
Jacques
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »

I tried the HOG thing years ago.  As far as the local chapters go, it seems to be geared more towards the new rider.  Like Hubbard, I have a different riding style.

I do keep the National HOG membership active for the road service (can't remember what they call it).  It's like AAA for Harleys and yes, on the way back from Sturgis, up in Idaho, my bike had to be trucked quite a ways when the cam chanin tensioner shoes took a dump.  That's piece of mind that's definately worth the few bucks, if you tour (I think most of us do).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedFXR2

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »

Seems like others here have had basically the same experience as me, in various parts, anyway.

I tried the local HOG back in NC.  Went on two rides with them, but they were both more of a tightly structured, nearly parade experience than a fun day on the road.  No hard feelings but not my cup of tea.  I have always heard that the personality of various HOG chapters vary greatly.

[Sidebar, and soapbox warning  [smiley=soapbox.gif]]  I think Spiderman's mostly right about the constructed image of HOG being inspired by 1%'ers.   But so much of the whole Harley culture is based on mimicking the same groups.  It's always struck me as funny how so much of the Harley-marketed image claims freedom and rugged individuality, yet if you ride a Harley but don't look like that image, a lot of Harley folks claim you're not a "real" biker (like most of them are????  LOL).  "Biker", of course, is the operative term here, as opposed to "Motorcyclist" or "Rider" -- open to interpretation, I guess.  IMO, the public draws very different mental picures of each of those three words.  Harley knows it and cashes in on it, projecting the term "Biker" on its customers/culture.  My point is what about the freedom to not look like the mass-marketed image?  Is a person more of an individual dressing up in all-HD clothing and leather, therefore looking like everybody else in the stereotyped image, or wearing whatever suits them when they ride?

I joined the National organization just for the road service in case of breakdown in nowhere.  Then I heard of several experiences of National members who waited for HOG provided two service that never showed up.  Didn't get much out of the HOG magazine, so membership lapsed.  Probably would have kept it If I did any serious touring, though.

Never much looked into the local HOG chapter down here--I just don't have time to plan day rides ahead of time, with weekend family obligations and all.  I tend to ride on the spur of the moment, time and weather dependent.

I'm sure it's a good thing for some, maybe a good thing for lots of folks.  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 02:25:00 PM by RedFXR2 »

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »

Hey Spiderman and Beagle.  Read your posts.  Quite the opinions you have there.  Im an active HOG member and enjoy it very much as my previous post indicates.  We have some 275 members and I don't believe for a minute any of them want to be 1%'ers and they don't "pose" as such.  The HOG vest patches or " colours" as you refer to them are 2 pieces not 3.  WE DO NOT wear our "colours" except to HOG sanctioned events and most of them wear them solely to identify they are a member of that particular organization.  I've maybe had mine on 3-4 times and don't feel any different with it or without.  Why would anyone want to be a criminal and belong to a 1% organization anyway.?  I certainly wouldn't and I don't "pose". As far as riding skills go there's good and bad riders in any group.  We promote Advanced rider training in our group and most have participated.  As well I feel I'm a damn good rider and can ride with the best of them including the 1% ers.  The other people I ride with are also excellent riders.  It's a group not a club.

Just riding and having fun.  That's what it's all about.  It's either for you or it isn't.  Like everything in life it is personal choice.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »

Hey Spiderman and Beagle.  Read your posts. Quite the opinions you have ther.  Im an active HOG member and enjoy it very much as my previous post indicates.  We have some 275 members and I don't believe for a minute any of them want to be 1%'ers and they don't "pose" as such.  The HOG vest patches or " colours" as you refer to them are 2 pieces not 3.  WE DO NOT wear our "colours" except to HOG sanctioned events and most of them wear them solely to identify they are a member of that particular organization.  I've maybe had mine on 3-4 times and don't feel any different with it or without.  Why would anyone want to be a criminal and belong to a 1% organization anyway.?  I certainly wouldn't and I don't "pose". As far as riding skills go there's good and bad riders in any group.  We promote Advanced rider training in our group and most have participated.  As well I feel I'm a damn good rider and can ride with the best of them including the 1% ers.  The other people I ride with are also excellent riders.  It's a group not a club.

Just riding and having fun.  That's what it's all about.  It's either for you or it isn't.  Like everything in life it is personal choice.Cheers, Moe
Well said Moe [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]Could not have said it better myself. Apparently in Cal. there some H.O.G groups or person that think there bad ass? We have 1000's in attendance every year at our state rally and a great time for all. Met lots of wonderful people from local,state and national H.O.G events and never seen or heard anyone talk like you so.cal. boys are speaking colors and all high mighty [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:40:23 PM by orangeseeg »

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

personally, I think most of us put more miles on a year then most 1% ers do. most of them just ride from bar to bar.  besides,  going by todays figures,,  they only amount to maybe .01% of the motorcycling population.  if even

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

You guys sure have some strange ideas about what HOG is. 1%er club wantabes??? I have never met those guys. Been a member since Feb 99, gone to local, state and national rallyes and had a decent time at all of them, met some nice folks,  saw some things I wouldn't have seen had I been at home. I belong locally, don't do there events but I figure they need my $20/year for something and the dealer has a couple of 20% off sales a year where she closes the store early, has a free dinner for HOG members only then reopens the store until 9PM for the sale. I have a drawer full of patches from stuff I have done over the years, never had one sewed onto anything, don't own a vest, too anal to poke a whole in my M/C coats for a pin etc. so it just seems to me me some of you are over thinking this thing. Belong, don't belong, who cares but so far I have seen nothing HOG does that will affect me living a few more years, then dieing.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Lest anyone think I am disrespecting any of you personally

It's not the people I don't like, it's the make believe colors  If HOG existed without the "colors"  top rocker, center patch ,bottom rocker, pocket patch, life member phoney baloney patches, I'd never say a word. An organization of motorcycle enthusiasts is a wonderful thing. And having a one piece patch isn't all that bad either if you want a way of saying to the world " I belong to - - - "  It's when it gets into the three piece patch and mimicks all the trappings of the 1% world that it goes astray. I do not mean to disrespect all of the good things that many of the local HOG chapters do, but at the end of the day, no one will ever convince me that in their heart of hearts the folks all decked out in thier "cuts" with their " colors "  don't think of themselves EVER, (not for one minute ) as an " outlaw biker" The MoCo with all their advisors and study groups and such knew this when they started HOG and realized they could create a benign version of (name your favorite Big Time 1% club) and capitalize on it. They shied away from it for awhile in trying to compete with " You meet the nicest people on a Honda " and realized they couldn't ever completely erase that image from people's minds , so why not captitalize on it.

B B
Wow, the local chapters in some states must be bad.  I've been a member of the National and Local chapter since I've been riding HDs.  I've been riding motorcycles for 36 years and will put my skills up against anyone, but have never considered myself a 1%, nor does the chapter I belong to.  If anything, our chapter is a bunch of "good ole boys and gals" that like to get together and enjoy a ride and friendship.   I go to the meetings because I like the people...our chapter has some of the largest percentage of turnout based on membership, because they want to be there...(we usually run about 150-200 members at each meeting.)  I look at it this way, we're all in this to do one thing, ride motorcycles and enjoy the feeling and experiences that it gives us.  Everyone has their way of doing that.  If you consider yourself a "true 1%", whatever that is, that's great, I'll ride with you just like I'll ride with anyone else that wants to share the motorcyling experience.  I'll even ride with, gasp  :o, other brands.  Sorry to soap box, but just because people don't ride or do things the way you do, doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast.  Sorry 'nuff said.  My apologies to anyone I may have offended in this rant.   [smiley=soapbox.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Bagger

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 10:52:29 PM »

I am a member of National HOG, and I maintain membership with my hometown chapter (Tuckessee).  When I moved down to south Alabama, I tried to get involved with the chapter there, but I just never could get comfortable.  Their idea of a dinner ride was to ride one mile down the road from the dealership and eat spaghetti.  They trailered to many of their planned events.  I just didn't fit in with their style.  I haven't even tried the chapter here in north Alabama.  I'm very happy with my hometown chapter, and I'm close enough now to participate on a regular basis.

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »

I'm with Jeffj.  I've moved 7 times in the last 10 years.  

I join the local chapters to quickly learn the best rides  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30:51 PM »

Woah Dudes, Lookout, The HOG thread is alive again. Here we go again with folks calling each other wannabes and criminals and all manner of trash talkin  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

B B

Bagger

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »

Woah Dudes, Lookout, The HOG thread is alive again. Here we go again with folks calling each other wannabes and criminals and all manner of trash talkin  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

B B

Enter the instigator, Mr. SPIDERMAN, the self proclaimed wise-crackin' trash-talker. ::)

RedFXR2

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »

Enter the instigator, Mr. SPIDERMAN, the self proclaimed wise-crackin' trash-talker. ::)

You mean like this?:

I Spiderman, Big B. Lord Sleeze of the Fat and Sleezy, Jedi Master of Sarcasm, Bear Baiter, CVO Website self appointed Pain in the Ass, C.O.B. and far more lofty titles than I have room here to list, doth protest the heinous accusations of your henchmen ( sic ) Moderator. I have never once changed the subject of any thread on this site. I highjacked everyone of those threads for the amusement of myself and my brother and sister site members.

:o :o ;D ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »

Hey Mike, how do you FIND quotes like that?  :o Do you have to remember them and which thread they were in???  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] or is there a easier way?  Guess we'll lose all this in the change over to the new software, huh?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Oh well, it'll be like a 'fresh start'   [smiley=cherry.gif] Har!  [smiley=drink.gif]  spyder

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2007, 12:27:35 AM »

Hey Mike, how do you FIND quotes like that?  :o Do you have to remember them and which thread they were in???  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] or is there a easier way?  Guess we'll lose all this in the change over to the new software, huh?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Oh well, it'll be like a 'fresh start'   [smiley=cherry.gif] Har!  [smiley=drink.gif]  spyder

I was wondering the same thing. How do you find a quote from six months ago? I can't find a post I made last week.

RedFXR2

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 12:51:05 AM »

Hey Mike, how do you FIND quotes like that?

This one I remembered well--that it was here somewhere, anyway.  Not many stick in my memory like the "Jedi Master of Sarcasm" bit.   ;D ;D

I just used the "search" utility to actually find it.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 01:45:07 AM »

This one I remembered well--that it was here somewhere, anyway.  Not many stick in my memory like the "Jedi Master of Sarcasm" bit.   ;D ;D

I just used the "search" utility to actually find it.

There you go lettin' out those "trade secrets" again.  Sure is amazing what the engine pulls from a couple of words.[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Bagger

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 06:32:27 AM »

You mean like this?:

:o :o ;D ;D

Exactly, and then some!

BaronStump

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »

Just became a National member again, free with the new bike and not sure I'm really a Nat'l member being over here in Europe with the UK handling my membrship.  Was a Nat'l in the late 80's and triied the locals in both Tucson and Vegas in early 90's and did get some of the impressions Spiderman "shared" with us along with too much "club business" that wasn't conducted from the saddle.  Meeting to plan rides, meeting to plan meetings to plan rides, meeting to discuss rides you planned that went bad or were cancelled due to scheduling conflicts with meeting.  You don't need no HOG personalized chair to eat my hotdog on or have a meeting in; now at the end of the day with the bikes in for the evening one for beers is a different requirement.  I am a member of a club, one piece patch, that was founded overseas for mostly military, ex-pats, contractors & spouses and it did just what many of you said you were looking for; a organization that shared a passion and then got out and actually participated in it.  Just finished another tour in Korea, two years, and it was good friendships and great riding.  With shipping times, only had the two bikes over there for 19 months and wife and I rode 6,500 and 8,000 miles respectively.  Not near what I rode in the states, but look at a map; it's a pretty small (really an island) and has sh!tty weather in the winter (didn't stop the polar bear run though). Small clubs in local places, largest probably 18 members...but a club not a group; difference is you can be selective...generally meaning..clubs are either all a$$holeS or none, we try to be the later.  I now have friends I can call on worldwide to ride with, for help or just to exchange routes and stories.  Our ride planning meetings consisted of "Hey Roadcaptain, we want to do a two day ride this weekend somewhere we haven't been yet...we'll depart Sat at 8:00 after breakfast" ride planning meeting done.  Maybe when I get back to the states I'll try a local again; in the meantime I'm real interested in a CVO gathering in Europe!!! Count me in. -Stump
'06 FLHTCUSE Haze-n-Black
Too Numerous to List
1999 Indian Chief (Custom Paint - Red)
ThunderHeart Single Fire
Woods W6H Prowler Cam
HackerLabs Hacker B
Too Much Chrome & Engine changes to list

BaronStump

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2007, 07:32:38 AM »

Bisounoures & Jacques,

Would be nice to put something together somewhere here in Europe, maybe fall timeframe...Octoberfest conditioning; I'm in Belgium although the little blue dot on the lacation map thinks Belarus is Belgium...Webmaster was obviously a geography major.
-Stump
'06 FLHTCUSE Haze-n-Black
Too Numerous to List
1999 Indian Chief (Custom Paint - Red)
ThunderHeart Single Fire
Woods W6H Prowler Cam
HackerLabs Hacker B
Too Much Chrome & Engine changes to list

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »

No HOG here. Enough said.

It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »

Am a member of national and local HOG.  Have been asst. director , director, sr road capt, and am currently the secretary.  We have a great chapter about 250 memeber and a very hand OFF owner.  Our moto is ride and have fun or as I put it live to ride rdie to eat.  I have met some amazing people thru HOG and enjoy it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:22 AM »

Am a member of national and local HOG.  We have a great chapter about 250 memeber and a very hand OFF owner.  Our moto is ride and have fun or as I put it live to ride rdie to eat.  I have met some amazing people thru HOG and enjoy it.

Agree with his comments.  I have however been more selective in going to the chapter's activities.  A very worthwhile organization; especially to people new to the area.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »

Just got my national packet with new pin and patch. Im so pumped to belong to such a hardcore gang [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Ops its just a group :'( All kiding aside looking forward to another great year meeting lots of great people from H.O.G.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »

whohoo!

I just recieved a replacement HOG atlas. They said there was a defect in the oringial. Now I have two!!!  

Membership has it's rewards        [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  [smiley=orange.gif]  [smiley=orange.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »

Yup, I got a new one too!  must of had Belarus and Belgium reversed eh?

I have been...  member, RC, editor, Asst Director (x2), and Director(x2)...  went to POT twice...   recognized nationally for fund raising and membership growth, and then got pushed out by a hands on dealer/disruptive member clique.  (OK, not pushed, saw what was happening to the group and said, "f that!" and walked...  Sitll a life member, but no local contact here.  Just not worth the big fandango they make out of the meeting to plan a meeting to talk about a meeting that was supposed to be about a ride but was really for a meeting where so and so said such and such about so and so and then......   f that!

nuff said ;)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »

No longer active at the local chapter but do attend some national events, HOG on a local level has become a sales meeting ...
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 21 queries.