Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Trailering the 2015 Road Glide Ultra--tie down points?  (Read 24381 times)

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
Trailering the 2015 Road Glide Ultra--tie down points?
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »

With the lowers, brake lines, and cooling lines on the 2015, I can't tie to the triple trees or frame tubes where the engine guard attaches like I did on my Previous bikes.
I ended up using soft loops around the fork tubes above the fender mount, which pulls the front tire solid against the chock, but nothing solid I can use to compress the front suspension a little.
The tie brackets MOCO sells are so far only made for the bat wings...anyone want to share their secrets?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Trailering the 2015 Road Glide Ultra--tie down points?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »

I've had to tie down my CVO RGU once.  See here:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

We used four soft ties on the highway bars, two- 45* forward and two- lateral.  Used a fifth tie through the rear wheel 45* to the rear.  36 miles,  mostly on the freeway with no problems or issues. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »

You may want to consider the Wheeldock Wheel chock and the link has videos on how to secure a bike in a trailer :

http://www.wheeldock.com/page/home/resources/wheel-chock-information/wheel-chock-videos

Lprez

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »

Tie downs are a paint in the rear with the Road Glide.  Solved the problem with the Biker Bars.  Drive in, roll out with one release point.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/motorcycle/biker-bar

billkse

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »

I have 2 best thing ever. Can put to bike side by side and not worry.

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »

I have a homemade chock that is a fairly decent copy of the wheeldock(it was in the trailer when I bought it). Problem is I need something versatile as I end up hauling all sorts of different bikes for my friends, and that design works great on some bikes but not so great on others.  I'm not 100% trusting of the design, especially in a severe manuever like the trailer going off the road and through a ditch--bouncing the bike right out of the chock, so I'd still want to have a couple tiedowns for added security. (I've seen a few trailers wrecked horribly, yet have their properly tied down cargo survive without a scratch!)

I really like the biker bars too, but then again they wouldn't work well on motocross or sport bikes, although that is something I can add without interfering with my current chock.

I'm happy enough with the chock I have, just frustrated with the lack of points to hook a strap on the bike.  Highway bars are sturdy, but over a period of time and repeated use, I'm afraid that tying onto the bars away from the mount point will cause flex and eventually cracks/failure.

The best solution for me would be a bracket for the side of the upper forks like MOCO sells for the batwings.  Definitely a market potential for someone!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:44:21 PM by MTrider »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:45:35 AM »

This is the video that shows placement and type of straps they recommend at Wheeldock...

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:35 AM »

Sorry, could not resist.  :)
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

mark

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:12 AM »

I installed these Kury tie down points on my SG.  If I'm not mistaken, they work on the RG too. 

My next suggestion: go to the HD shop and see how the factory straps the RG to the shipping skid used to transport the bikes from the factory to the dealer.  On the Batwings, the bike is strapped thru the frame where the engine guard attaches (beneath the tank).  I'm sure it's the same on the RG.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:11:58 AM by Mark »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »

I suggest you NOT use the crash bars, they will bend very easily. A large bump is all it takes, they are hollow and have absolutely no structural strength.
KIWI Indian makes a bracket that bolts on to the earlier Road Glides that works very well. Might check with them to see if it works on the new models. It actually bolts to the two forward tank bolts and the ctr crash bar bolt, has hooks on each side. I have one and it is black, blends in so you would have to know what it is to notice it. Stays on bike, pretty slick.

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »

I installed these Kury tie down points on my SG.  If I'm not mistaken, they work on the RG too. 

My next suggestion: go to the HD shop and see how the factory straps the RG to the shipping skid used to transport the bikes from the factory to the dealer.  On the Batwings, the bike is strapped thru the frame where the engine guard attaches (beneath the tank).  I'm sure it's the same on the RG.
Thanks, it looks like Kury has a brand new part # that includes the 2015 Road Glide. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll be interested to ask the dealer how they are tied from the factory.  It's amazing how tight that frame section below the tank is on the Ultra with cooling/brake lines & so on all in that area.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

My first thought seeing my Bikes have never been on a trailer...

In Deadwood last year my wife was getting off her bike, and a guy asked her if she trailered out, her reply was "Trailers are for Boats"  I rode from TN via Santa Fe NM and CO.

I do understand some times there is a need  to trailer, please do not take offense, but this sticker is on my helmet.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »

With the lowers, brake lines, and cooling lines on the 2015, I can't tie to the triple trees or frame tubes where the engine guard attaches like I did on my Previous bikes.
I ended up using soft loops around the fork tubes above the fender mount, which pulls the front tire solid against the chock, but nothing solid I can use to compress the front suspension a little.
The tie brackets MOCO sells are so far only made for the bat wings...anyone want to share their secrets?

Here is a thread I started about how to secure a bike on a trailer. Be it Bat Wing or Shark the attachment points are the same.
Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=97090.0

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »

I suggest you NOT use the crash bars, they will bend very easily. A large bump is all it takes, they are hollow and have absolutely no structural strength.
KIWI Indian makes a bracket that bolts on to the earlier Road Glides that works very well. Might check with them to see if it works on the new models. It actually bolts to the two forward tank bolts and the ctr crash bar bolt, has hooks on each side. I have one and it is black, blends in so you would have to know what it is to notice it. Stays on bike, pretty slick.
I believe these are the ones you are speaking of - Kiwi Tie-Down Anchor... It does show them being available for "09 and later" which would lead me to believe they would fit on the Rush(ed)more bikes as the frames would be the same. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »

I believe these are the ones you are speaking of - Kiwi Tie-Down Anchor... It does show them being available for "09 and later" which would lead me to believe they would fit on the Rush(ed)more bikes as the frames would be the same. :nixweiss:

Don't think I would be comfortable with torquing down the tank mounts sufficient enough for a tie down bracket. At least not on the older bikes with the grommets
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »

Parts guy at my dealership said the batwing bracket kit 93500011 fits the 2015 Roadglide, and the catalog will be updated accordingly.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »

Parts guy at my dealership said the batwing bracket kit 93500011 fits the 2015 Roadglide, and the catalog will be updated accordingly.
Interesting.  I will have to look at a friends Street Glide who has them to see if it would work on a 15 Road Glide.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 10:49:26 PM »

It looks like the mount bolts on the forks are the same between batwings & road glide, only issue would be clearance to the inside fairing--pretty close when you move the bars side to side.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »

It looks like the mount bolts on the forks are the same between batwings & road glide, only issue would be clearance to the inside fairing--pretty close when you move the bars side to side.

You might consider a close look at those screws. (1/4" X 5/8") I'm sure that would work but they are not nearly as substantial as the highway bar and it's attachments.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »

The HD Accesory tie-downs will not fit a Road Glide, they will not clear the fairing,  I tried. The KIWI deal works pretty good, I have used one on two trips to Sturgis (4200 miles) with no problems, They bolts go into the frame, not a bushing. Talk to the guy @ Kiwi if you have questions, he is pretty sharp and has looked as strength from all angles. I use the KIWI bracket in conjunction with Condor and a pair of straps on rear, also pulling forward. For those worrying about strengh of tank bolts with bolt thru crash bar which also goes into frame, did you ever pull a big block chevy or 426 hemi using a Mr Gasket puller? It bolts to the carb studs (1/4" studs) that are screwed into an alum manifold and happens every day.

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »

I am moving to Savannah Georgia tomorrow! This is how I tie mine down.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »

Grab hold of the handlebars and pull either way, your bike will tip. Only thing holding it up vertically is the chock and it  is just not strong enough to hold the weight in any kind of impact or even a panic move of the trailer. SCARY the way you are doing it.

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »

I also put one one each side in the back, worked just fine! :orange:

wheels_up

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:56 AM »

Thanks, it looks like Kury has a brand new part # that includes the 2015 Road Glide. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll be interested to ask the dealer how they are tied from the factory.  It's amazing how tight that frame section below the tank is on the Ultra with cooling/brake lines & so on all in that area.

I cannot find the tie-down brackets you mention you found on the Kury website for my 2015 Road Glide Special. Can you give me the Kury P/N ?

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 06:25:45 AM »

I use a condor chock and only need 2 tie down points. Having Etrack, I can hold it in place with the tie downs secured to the passenger pegs mount. To the fella who keeps talking about his helmet sticker, I have over 700k miles on 2 wheels and yes, its nice to trailer when your significant other doesn't want to ride at a 1000 mile per day pace on a cross country trip.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

soapy

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »

Somebody needs to make a bracket like they use on the bat wings but make it longer so it clears the fairing on the road glides. I've seen some impressive fabrication on this site, surely someone can pull this off.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »

Somebody does make a bracket for the RG, It is discussed in earlier posts. KIWI Indian, look above and you will see the link to manuf. I have used it and it works great and is hidden when mounted.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »

I agree.  :drink: my boat is on a trailer and my horse is sometimes in a trailer.

My first thought seeing my Bikes have never been on a trailer...

In Deadwood last year my wife was getting off her bike, and a guy asked her if she trailered out, her reply was "Trailers are for Boats"  I rode from TN via Santa Fe NM and CO.

I do understand some times there is a need  to trailer, please do not take offense, but this sticker is on my helmet.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 02:43:34 AM »

I also used the Kiwi Indian brackets on my SERK when I towed her for the first time down to the south of France. They worked really well and don't look out of place when left on when riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

navigator

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »

I remove the chrome trim piece at the top of the forks. It is held in with one torx on each side. Once removed you can pass a soft strap through the triple tree lower bracket! Works great. On rear I use passenger foot board brackets. I also use a condor locking wheel chock with tire strap!
2015 CVO Roadglide (RG2)
FuelMotto 2-1-2 with E-Series, Pro-Action Rear Shocks, Ricor intimidators, Klockwreks, Carls Soft-brake, BOOM 2

MTrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »

Update: this model seems to be quite a bit more challenging than any others, due to the combination of wet heads & road glide fairing.  After many hours researching & talking to numerous owners & dealers, here's what I came up with:
•Kiwi mounts:  nice design, but not enough room to clear the lowers & water cooling lines.
•Harley fork mount brackets and the numerous similar designs won't clear the 2015 road glide inner fairing.
•traditional tie down points on the front frame rails/mounts for the engine guards won't work, because this model is too congested in that area with air deflectors/cooling lines etc
•••B&W Biker Bar--this is what I ended up using.  Only downfall is price, and the fact that it's only setup for one rider/bike combo. After initial setup, it's literally 30seconds to clamp on & load the bike.  I added a second set of nut plates so I can easily move it between the toyhauler & cargo trailer.
As for all the "trailer" comments, living in this part of the world means you get your service work done in the winter to take advantage of the short summer.  Ice & snow on the road = trailer time.
As far as using a toyhauler, I've found that the guys that give me grief are the ones that can't afford one!😎
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.