Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: April Turkeys and Bikes  (Read 5091 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
April Turkeys and Bikes
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »

April is the beginning of the year for me. I have to endure the first three cold winter months just to get to the best time of the year. My favorite activities are turkey hunting in the morning and riding in the afternoon. The mornings are still a bit cool and the wife would rather it be a little warmer so I get a full half day of gobbling birds in before we take off for a ride. The trees and grass are greening up and the flowers are blumming and all is right with my world

TILL

April 15 :'( The Feds just have to stick it to me on the best time of the year.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

Re: April Turkeys and Bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »

Not one turkey hunter in the bunch?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »

er er er er er. .......Gobble Gobble. Saw my local wild bunch on my way to work. Looked over to see one of the Tom's mounting one of the females. :huepfenlol2: I love to pull up and call the Tom's and make em Gobble.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »

er er er er er. .......Gobble Gobble. Saw my local wild bunch on my way to work. Looked over to see one of the Tom's mounting one of the females. :huepfenlol2: I love to pull up and call the Tom's and make em Gobble.

Hey Rooster,
I thought roosters made a cock-a-doodle-dooo type of sound???

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:42:46 PM »

I'm with ya. I have to wait till April 18th, I hunt in Arkansas.  ::) Nothin more challenging that a big Gobbler.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:53:38 PM »

Ya make that sound kind of dirty there Terry  n :D

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

I love Hunting Turkeys here in PA ( Centre County ) so its hunting and fishing for trout starting in April here.
DND

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »

Watched a big Tom try and mount a life-like decoy I had set. Laughing(inside) so hard I didn't shoot. Biggest Tom I ever called.....keep your mind in the game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:28:32 PM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »

Not one turkey hunter in the bunch?

Thus far, no.  But I'm hoping to rectify that issue this year or next.  Schedule just doesn't allow the flexibility at present.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »

There are times I just have a  hard time deciding what to do but in early April I get both. Half a day in the woods and the warmer second half on the bike. I do have to be careful about getting drowsy pom the bike in the pm after getting up at 4:40. When I am riding I am constantly looking over the fields just wanting to catch another view of a strutting gobbler. April and May are peak months for fun.

BTW I have almost hit several turkeys on a bike. Not as scary as a deer but could be trouble none the less.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

I don't, Doc, but son, son in law and quite a few in our office do hunt 'em.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »

I don't, Doc, but son, son in law and quite a few in our office do hunt 'em.

I was curious about the hobbies of other bike riders on here and wondered if any one else chased birds? I have not given up on the idea of meeting you and Dave this spring for a meet and little ride. I am going to pm him and propose a meeting at SMHD some weekend when we can all get together. By all means if the two of you want to invite any other members please do so.

I really need to do the MVGT this year and put some  faces to the names.

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »

I was curious about the hobbies of other bike riders on here and wondered if any one else chased birds? I have not given up on the idea of meeting you and Dave this spring for a meet and little ride. I am going to pm him and propose a meeting at SMHD some weekend when we can all get together. By all means if the two of you want to invite any other members please do so.

I really need to do the MVGT this year and put some  faces to the names.

Maggie Valley is a fun time.  We have reservations at Harrah's (can't pass up free) for the dates this year.  Hope you can make it even if just for a day or so.

As for the ride, that sounds like a plan.  Just let me know.... :2vrolijk_21:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »

True story:
I have a good friend that they call the Turkey Murderer. The boys down at the hunt club, that do hunt turkeys, had been after this guy to turkey hunt with them. He had never turkey hunted in his life. He hunted deer, rabbit, squirrel, ducks, doves, pheasant, wild hogs, and elk. he was damn good at all of those. So he lets then talk him into going turkey hunting with them. So he buys full coverage camouflage and even bought a camouflage shotgun and a couple of turkey calls and a crow call. It didn't take him long to figure how the calls worked and the big day arrived. The guys met at the club the night before and were to get up early the next morning before daylight and get to there stands. Well it seams that my friend drank a little to much that night and didn't make the wake up call. So the rest of the group left him at the clubhouse to sleep it off. Donnie wakes up around 7am and realizes he was left behind, so he gets in this truck and heads to his stand. Halfway to the turn off to his stand he hits a Tom, that is crossing the road, with his Truck and kills it. He threw the Tom in the back of the truck and goes the rest of the way to his turn off  and parks his truck. As he approaches his stand a giant gobbler is on his stand and won't move, so Donnie shoots it. He sits there for an hour then heads back to his truck. As he is backing out of the turnoff he hits another gobbler and kills it too. Heading back to camp/clubhouse
he, yes you guessed right, hits and kills his 4th turkey. When he gets to camp the guys see a bed full of birds and ask him what happened. So Donnie tell them of his morning and how he can't see what's so hard about turkey hunting. They tell him he is not a turkey hunter but a turkey murderer. Luckily they had enough hunters and tags to use on the extra birds. Seems like none of the others even saw a bird all morning.
Mike
 :drink:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:55:31 PM by MIKEYTEE »
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »

I have been called a turkey murderer also but not for running them over in a truck. Back when i was a lawless renegade ;) I killed more than the legal limit of birds and had a 10 gauge shotgun that a buddy called "blunderbuss". It was known to take out more than one bird at a time.

I am now a law abiding citizen. :huepfenlol2:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »

Back in my wild days when on recruiting duty, me and 2 Army buddies duck hunted on Lake Toho above Orlando. We had been corning a large flock and went in one morn before light and as it cracked dawn.....cut loose. I had a 3 1/2" Mossburg and shot 4 times, other 2 shot 3ea.. 11 birds on ground(6 hens & 5 jakes). I have repented many times for this obscene action.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.