Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: To Shark or not to Shark  (Read 27167 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
To Shark or not to Shark
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »

Yes that is THE QUESTION.

Now that I am Retired, I will be going on 1 good long trip around the US every year. I started last year. I covered 21 states spent 5 days in Sturgis got to see the Left Coast and put 9335 miles on Sapphire in 21 days. This year I want to leave in early June and take the southern route into Southern Cali. A few of my riding friends and the GM at my main Dealership have been trying to get me on a Road Glide for 4 years now. I think I am finally going to take the plunge. I am tied between the Red and Blue CVO Road Glides. I still have not taken one on a test ride. I have been riding Batwings for over 35 years now. I did sit on the new Road Glide yesterday and should have taken it out on the road. I was given the chance but had no leathers or helmet. Rain today and tomorrow and I will be back in Delaware till Monday. Sooooooo for all of you Shark riders out there, what o you think????

Be Safe

THE DAWG     
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: To Shark or not to Shark
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »

I own a batwing ONLY because my wife said so.  ???

Personally, I would own a sharknose. Looks better and rides better through the wind.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »

Went to a Roadglide in 2004, no going back (batwings), my 2015 RGS is even better. Wind management much better. As for the fairing not moving with the front end, took 10 minutes to get used to.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »

I've heard it said by many that there is nothing better than a "shark"... I have resisted the urge in riding one so I wouldn't be tempted. Being of the tall statue I can see where the extra room in the cockpit  could be appreciated, however the one thing that has me resisting is the distance of the fairing away would result in a taller windshield  (for it to be functional) on the RG. I prefer the look of the shorter/shortest functional windshield possible which is much less of a windshield on a batwing.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »

Go for the Road Glide .....with no regrets.

Wesleypalms

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »

I've spent time on both styles and there really isn't much difference. Steering is a little lighter with the Glide. I also like that my headlight turns at night with the batwing. You have a fun choice and can't go wrong.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »

Here's a review from earlier this month:

180 miles today.  Got to thoroughly test out the Fullsac / TTS Stage 1 kit.  Rode with Treeman and his new, '15 CVO Limited (stock and 500 miles).  We rode twisties in the Santa Monica Mountains, Back roads through the very windy Oxnard Valley and had lunch in Camarillo.  We tried several pulls in various gears and the power difference between the bikes is significant as is the throttle response and smoothness.  Kudos to Steve Cole and Steve George for some great products.  I was surprised by the clear advantage of the Stage 1 bike.  So was Treeman.  So much so that we rode hard back to his house to install his kit.  We also traded rides which leads me to another issue. 

There previously may have been an honest debate as to the superiority of the Batwing vs. Sharknose faring but as of 2015, there is no contest.  Today I was able to thoroughly test both CVO'S, back to back with fairing vents open and closed.  Both had stock windshields.  The balance, stability, handling, aerodynamics and wind management of the Road Glide in zero to 40 plus mph winds is remarkable and far superior.  The Limited is a great ride but the Road Glide is just better and more comfortable, especially in high cross and head winds.   That's my review and I'm sticking to it!    :coolblue:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »

I've spent time on both styles and there really isn't much difference. Steering is a little lighter with the Glide. I also like that my headlight turns at night with the batwing. You have a fun choice and can't go wrong.

At first I thought that was the case but, it only applies to low speed turns.  At higher speed turns, you point your tires in the opposite direction of the turn.  So, on a batwing, you are pointing away from your turn and on a shark you are still pointing straight.

In the end, I don't know how much difference it makes.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

SHARK SHARK SHARK SHARK
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

I own both, and have been to the 4 corners on both. I prefer the bat at lower speeds (<85), at 80++ the shark takes over, especially on the interstate. If you ride 2-up much, make sure you take the BSR on the shark test ride,(possible wind buffeting for passenger) and try to spend some time at interstate speeds. The shark is the only bike that I (6'4")can smoke a cig comfortably on the interstate. I, (like most of us) try to avoid the interstates, just using as a speed reference to wide open spaces...

The 10" windshield works for me on both bikes (plain on the bat, windsplitter on the shark)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:23:55 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »

First of all, as a fellow retired firefighter, congratulations on your retirement.
If you need a riding partner PM me, I'm in Owings Mills.

I too was a bat wing fan, even bought a 14 Limited firefighter special. Test rode the new CVORGU at the York open hous and it was a no brainer for me. Traded the Limited for a blue CVORGU and took it home December 26. I have just over 800 miles on it and could not be happier.

My wife rides with me most of the time. At 5'7" she is mostly covered from any wind by me, I'm 6'2". Her head is same height or just a tad lower than mine while riding. She says no difference for her on either bike. For me there is way less wind than the bat wing.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »

Get one as a retirement gift to yourself and keep both. ..

That being said. I went from a batwing to a shark and now I'm on my 2nd shark. They work for me.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »

I resisted taking any of the 09+ bikes for a ride until last August. Took a 103 RG for a good ride on the highway and was hooked.
Go for it.

And remember, Red Bikes Rule

Yes that is THE QUESTION.

Now that I am Retired, I will be going on 1 good long trip around the US every year. I started last year. I covered 21 states spent 5 days in Sturgis got to see the Left Coast and put 9335 miles on Sapphire in 21 days. This year I want to leave in early June and take the southern route into Southern Cali. A few of my riding friends and the GM at my main Dealership have been trying to get me on a Road Glide for 4 years now. I think I am finally going to take the plunge. I am tied between the Red and Blue CVO Road Glides. I still have not taken one on a test ride. I have been riding Batwings for over 35 years now. I did sit on the new Road Glide yesterday and should have taken it out on the road. I was given the chance but had no leathers or helmet. Rain today and tomorrow and I will be back in Delaware till Monday. Sooooooo for all of you Shark riders out there, what o you think????

Be Safe

THE DAWG   
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »

Had both, loved both, however for stability and wind management Road Glide wins. Best example: my friend, and I, were riding thru Michigan; when we stopped for gas he was complaining how bad the winds had kicked up and how beaten up he felt. When I said I hadn't felt the winds (and I hadn't) it took me 10 minutes to convince him I wasn't messing with him.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »

I am talking to 3 Dealers right now. Looking for the best deal. My go to Dealer has no CVO Road Glides. The Dealer I now have the most faith in is also where I bought Sapphire. He is eager to sell me a bike. He also has two colors Red and Blue. The other two Dealers only have the blue in stock. We are already talking about what mods to do to the bike. Still on the fence but I am leaning to NEW!!!! I still have all of the motor upgrades for Sapphire. I was doing a 113 build from the ground up including an S&S rotating assembly!!! So I should know by early next week.

Thank you all for the advice. It seems the Shark is the CHIT!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.