Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: To Shark or not to Shark  (Read 27221 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: To Shark or not to Shark
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »

Rent one for a few days Mike.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »

Dawg,

I have a '09 SERG and love it.

I'm tall in the saddle and I've not noticed any gauge placement issues.  My previous ride was a new '08 CVO SERK that I changed over to a standard Road King windshield.  Just with the windshield attached to the frontend, my side wind gusts rattled me around quite a bit.  The SERG does not share that same trait and side wind is a LOT less noticeable.  I would say that the Batwing and the RK would be similar in strong side winds.  We ride along the Mississippi quite a bit and some times the wind is VERY strong.  The SERG is much better.

I will admit that mine is a two generation old design.  My fairing and the '11 or '12 fairing are the same, but the height and angle is slightly different.  And then the '15 is even more changed with the multiple vents.

I had quite a bit of trouble "fitting" a correct windshield and ended up with a CeeBailey recurve that seems to be pretty good for us.  I'm sure that a Batwing is a lot easier to fit with a windshield to.

I'm sorry but I still love my Shark and would not go to a Batwing.

If anyone out there wants to ride a "heavy" frontend bike, just hop on one of the older bikes like my '76 FLH.  If you let go of the handlebars in a parking lot the bike will fall over, I mean literally fall over as low speeds.  You have to man handle it all the time until it gets up on plane so to speak in boating terms...

The old FL series had the fork tree bearings behind the forks just as any of the other bikes of the day.  But the newer frames probably starting in the mid to late '80s had the tree bearings in front of the forks.

I remember that when I had my '76 FLH out and stopped by Doc's Harley Davidson in Kirkwood MO for a factory test and ride day, the first time I took off with the Road King it felt like power steering.  This was in '07.  After a 10 mile ride I had to get back on my '76 to ride home.  I thought I was going to drop the bike right then and there.  Boy what a difference it was and still is.  I'll be riding the '76 this weekend and every time I get back on the '09 SERG it's like power steering.

Sorry I digress just a bit... Rambling way too much again!  :(

The bottom line is that my SERG feels great at parking lot speeds, light and effortless in steering and feel, not top heavy at all.  I'm a big guy and I've ridden my neighbor's '13 Street Glide and it felt a bit heavier in our subdivision.

It boils down to personal preference.  Some say the Sharks are a love'em or hate'em look and apparently not as many people like'em as their half brother the Batwing.

I agree, rent one and get some serious miles at all street and highway speed, single and two up.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »

DAWG,

Batwing looks better, feels better, and rides better than a "tour-glide", at any speed.  Dash on a tour-glide is too far away for me, and looks a little cheap, compared to a CVO-Ultra.  You asked for thoughts..............that's mine.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »

I bought the 00' SERG Roadglide before they were cool. People teased me about the look of the fairing. In 2004 I bought the Seeg "Pumkin". I owned both at the same time. When I would go for a ride I would always get on the Roadglide first.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »

DAWG,

Batwing looks better, feels better, and rides better than a "tour-glide", at any speed.  Dash on a tour-glide is too far away for me, and looks a little cheap, compared to a CVO-Ultra.  You asked for thoughts..............that's mine.  Later--HUBBARD

But the lesson wasn't endeth  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »

I bought the 00' SERG Roadglide before they were cool. People teased me about the look of the fairing. In 2004 I bought the Seeg "Pumkin". I owned both at the same time. When I would go for a ride I would always get on the Roadglide first.

I had the universe's nicest 05 red SEEG (it said so on the internet). It had been a true labor of love.  But between it and the 00 red SERG I ended up riding the SERG 80% of the time.  And that was even when trying to split time between them.  So when what was a third bike to the stable came along sold the SEEG.  It surprised me (a little) and others (a lot) at the time but the bike just wasn't getting used.  Now it's the SERG and a Road King which are significantly different enough rides it's easier to share time between them.  Though the Road Glide would still be the bike chosen for anything much beyond local.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »

I had the universe's nicest 05 red SEEG (it said so on the internet). It had been a true labor of love.  But between it and the 00 red SERG I ended up riding the SERG 80% of the time.  And that was even when trying to split time between them.  So when what was a third bike to the stable came along sold the SEEG.  It surprised me (a little) and others (a lot) at the time but the bike just wasn't getting used.  Now it's the SERG and a Road King which are significantly different enough rides it's easier to share time between them.  Though the Road Glide would still be the bike chosen for anything much beyond local.
What a terrible problem to have ;)

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »

I have both '14 Limited and '13 RG. I like the RG better, feels a little bit sportyer but it doesn't have lowers or tour pack. Wife says she gets more wind on the RG. I
found it hard to get used to after riding a batwing for so many years, as others have said about the dash being so far away and turning at slow speeds and the fairing doesn't move!! Just a head thing though. Conclusion, you need to have 1 of each.................

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:17 AM »

Conclusion, you need to have 1 of each.................

Brilliant !!
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »

Honestly, I have ridden a shark, but I don't want to, because IF I like it more, my wife would divorce me.  I have always loved the looks of the Skunk CVO, but I have never ridden one?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »

i was just teasing cvo2fixup in reference to his 'look of the 60s' jab.

roadglides used to be the red headed bastard stepchild of the hd world.  now, they are the new 'it' bike.  though, not quite as popular as the street glide, they are selling quite a bit more than they used to.

me personally, i love my glide.  i will not, not own one.  i'm short, 5'4'', and the distance to the dash is a total non issue.  i can go for days without having to touch the dash, thats what thumb controls are for  :orange:  i rode a batwing for a while, though to be fair it was a roadking with an aftermarket fairing, but close enough.  i didn't care for the 'in your face' feel of the fairing.  it's hard to imagine claustrophobia on a bike, but thats almost what it was like.  sure, you can get better wind protection and weather protection, but really, you're on a bike, not in a car.  i want some wind.  not turbulence, but i don't want to feel like i'm in a bubble either.  my roadglide gives me that.

as suggested, rent one for a couple of days.  and really give it a fair chance.  don't go into it with any preconceived notions.  see if it speaks to your soul.  then your mind will be made up.

Not sure who you were referring too. I am just looking for opinions on the Shark and the Batwing. I have 2 Batwings now. I may trade one for a Shark. Soooooo that is what this thread is about. I was hoping to get some pros and cons on both bikes. I am still on the fence and I want to Shark but I am afraid I may not like it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »

I like my 09 Roadglide over the 2004  :pumpkin:. I still enjoy a ride now and then on the :pumpkin:. (oh I forgot it is the Wife's now). The Roadglide turns more like a Road King than a full Fairing Bike. Handles better, wind is less of an issue and I like design of the Roadgile esp. since it is an 09.

The Wet Head would be nice.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:53:22 PM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »

Ride one...See if it speaks to your soul....  then your mind will be made up.

Well said Skratch
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »

"though, not quite as popular as the street glide, they are selling quite a bit more than they used to."

Yep, there's  your answer right there! :D
There's a good reason why the street glide continues to be the best selling bike in the US! :P :jalapeno: :jalapeno:
Ride free brothers!

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2015, 08:40:58 AM »

100% agree! I have a 09 roadking with 16" apes I ride short to medium runs and always end up taking the shark on vacation trips. Have owned several batwings over the years, don't even look at them anymore.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.