Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: To Shark or not to Shark  (Read 27216 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: To Shark or not to Shark
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »

i was just teasing cvo2fixup in reference to his 'look of the 60s' jab.

roadglides used to be the red headed bastard stepchild of the hd world.  now, they are the new 'it' bike.  though, not quite as popular as the street glide, they are selling quite a bit more than they used to.

me personally, i love my glide.  i will not, not own one.  i'm short, 5'4'', and the distance to the dash is a total non issue.  i can go for days without having to touch the dash, thats what thumb controls are for  :orange:  i rode a batwing for a while, though to be fair it was a roadking with an aftermarket fairing, but close enough.  i didn't care for the 'in your face' feel of the fairing.  it's hard to imagine claustrophobia on a bike, but thats almost what it was like.  sure, you can get better wind protection and weather protection, but really, you're on a bike, not in a car.  i want some wind.  not turbulence, but i don't want to feel like i'm in a bubble either.  my roadglide gives me that.

as suggested, rent one for a couple of days.  and really give it a fair chance.  don't go into it with any preconceived notions.  see if it speaks to your soul.  then your mind will be made up.

That right there is some good advice. They are calling for rain all week in the Mid Atlantic so I won't get a chance to ride this week. Next week I may take one for a spin. I am ready to go cross country again so if I m going to do it, it has to be soon

Thank you all for the comments. Keep them coming. I'm still on the fence but leaning hard to the left!!!!

be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »

I had the universe's nicest 05 red SEEG (it said so on the internet). It had been a true labor of love.  But between it and the 00 red SERG I ended up riding the SERG 80% of the time.  And that was even when trying to split time between them.  So when what was a third bike to the stable came along sold the SEEG.  It surprised me (a little) and others (a lot) at the time but the bike just wasn't getting used.  Now it's the SERG and a Road King which are significantly different enough rides it's easier to share time between them.  Though the Road Glide would still be the bike chosen for anything much beyond local.

Oh how I miss the proverbs form my good friend TWOLANE!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »

DAWG,

Batwing looks better, feels better, and rides better than a "tour-glide", at any speed.  Dash on a tour-glide is too far away for me, and looks a little cheap, compared to a CVO-Ultra.  You asked for thoughts..............that's mine.  Later--HUBBARD

Hubbard I have to agree the Batwing is the best looking classic Harley there is. I do love Sapphire but I will always have Ole Punkin to ride if I do in fact JUMP THE FENCE!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

stop by my place and ill let you take mine for ride...  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 10:57:58 AM »

DAWG,

Batwing looks better, feels better, and rides better than a "tour-glide", at any speed.  Dash on a tour-glide is too far away for me, and looks a little cheap, compared to a CVO-Ultra.  You asked for thoughts..............that's mine.  Later--HUBBARD

Carl, "at any speed?"  Really?  I'd find it difficult to count the number of times you used to mention or even complain about the propensity Maude used to have to shake at high speeds.  Would talk about moving leg positions or sitting different or a host of other things to change or alter it.  But the bike still got the shakes sometimes.  Road Glides with their fixed fairing never had that issue in the same way the bar mounted fairing E-Glides did.

While the looks are totally different (from the nose on) and many if not most will say the Electra Glide is a better looking ride I can't agree it's a better handling ride.  Less weight on the bars makes the Road Glide a little easier to steer at low speeds, it's more stable in the wind, especially in the spot coming around the rear quarter of one of your big rigs and the pocket behind the fairing for the rider that is more comfortable is a little bigger on the Road Glide.  And..... having had an actual Tour Glide for short while many years ago it road pretty good too :huepfenlol2: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »

Hubbard I have to agree the Batwing is the best looking classic Harley there is. I do love Sapphire but I will always have Ole Punkin to ride if I do in fact JUMP THE FENCE!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I love Punkin.  I thought I'd have the red bike forever too.  Then, huh; I didn't.  Who knew.....? 

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »

Carl, "at any speed?"  Really?  I'd find it difficult to count the number of times you used to mention or even complain about the propensity Maude used to have to shake at high speeds.  Would talk about moving leg positions or sitting different or a host of other things to change or alter it.  But the bike still got the shakes sometimes.  Road Glides with their fixed fairing never had that issue in the same way the bar mounted fairing E-Glides did.

While the looks are totally different (from the nose on) and many if not most will say the Electra Glide is a better looking ride I can't agree it's a better handling ride.  Less weight on the bars makes the Road Glide a little easier to steer at low speeds, it's more stable in the wind, especially in the spot coming around the rear quarter of one of your big rigs and the pocket behind the fairing for the rider that is more comfortable is a little bigger on the Road Glide.  And..... having had an actual Tour Glide for short while many years ago it road pretty good too :huepfenlol2: .

Surely you jest, Twolane!  All I ever had to do was lay this Number 12 on the left hi-way peg, and she would straighten up.  I do remember one time in MB, when Tilley first built that Motor, I experienced a near tank-slapper on Rt. 38, but finally figured out the Boot trick, and from there it was not a problem.  The only real problem I had with Ol' Maudie's handling was at real high speed, it seemed the air would get under her, and she would appear to want to lift, like a hog on ice, for lack of a better term.  Don't have that problem with Maybelle.  She won't go fast enough to wobble.  :huepfenlol2: Yet.  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2015, 12:23:15 AM »

Don't have that problem with Maybelle.  She won't go fast enough to wobble.  :huepfenlol2: Yet.  ;) Later--HUBBARD

Damn Carl, that's a whole different kind of problem :huepfenlol2: .

So how much longer before you let Tilley fix it faster?   8)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »

Damn Carl, that's a whole different kind of problem :huepfenlol2: .

So how much longer before you let Tilley fix it faster?   8)

Planning on it being a project this Winter.  If you weren't aware, my friend Don Tilley was killed in a Motorcycle accident last Summer.  Sadly missed, but a lot of good memories.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »

I guess I will jump into this opinion pool.  I have had 2 Sharks and 2 SG's.  Alot of this comes to down to a couple of factors, which all are already mentioned.  First is your body type and size (width and height).  your body acts as a sail and traps air and circulates air as well.  Next is shield.  For folks that have ridden bikes with stock shields or shields that are too low, then you are not getting the best riding experience possible.  One of the first things we do when we get a new ride is change the shield out.
Now, as far as ride quality, the RG (for me) was a little smoother at hiway speeds, lets say 70+, and yes more stable while passing the 18 wheeler.  But i say a little. enough to sway my purchase, no.  At slow speeds, less than 30, it felt a little heavy to me.  The SG I have (had a 14, now a 15) rides great.  I changed out the shield and I have no buffeting at all.  Yes, the air comes up from lowers but it doesn't impede my ride or my grin.  If I were to do it again, I would go SG.  great ride and almost as smooth as the RG, but with better looks and positioning, for me.
So, for me it comes down to looks.  I like the looks of the SG better, I also like that I can reach the controls, if and when I want to.  Peace all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »

Planning on it being a project this Winter.  If you weren't aware, my friend Don Tilley was killed in a Motorcycle accident last Summer.  Sadly missed, but a lot of good memories.  Later--HUBBARD

I'd seen that Carl.  Sent a card to the dealership.  Thought it was still Tilley's as a shop name though.  Did the dealership change hands since he passed?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 01:37:04 AM »

What I think is interesting is that many talk about the SG looking better but the RG handling better in the wind. I guess thats why some people like blondes/brunettes. For me personally when I decided to switch to a "Bagger" I liked the looks of the RG much better but a few of my buddies were telling me that the SG handled much better at anything other than on the freeway where I had always tried to stay away from anyway. In my early 20's I had a Kawasaki 900 with a Vetter fairing that I loved and I decided that even though I thought the SGwould handle better I had to go for what I considered at the time "the looks". When I went to the dealer, they only had a CVO SG forsale and tried to get me to try it but I was afraid that if I rode it and than got the RG, I would always hate the way the RG handled so I passed and just waited until I got my RG. 30000 miles later I love my RG for not only the way it looks but also the way it rides.
Alan

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »

I love Punkin.  I thought I'd have the red bike forever too.  Then, huh; I didn't.  Who knew.....?

Twolane I did have a DUMB ATTACK this past winter and almost sold Ole Punkin. But I finally come to my senses. I have looked at the Road Glide again and I am now seeing a few things that I may not like. I still like the option of removing my lowers in the spring. I guess time will tell. I am busy right now so it will be after April 17th before I make a decision!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

I'd seen that Carl.  Sent a card to the dealership.  Thought it was still Tilley's as a shop name though.  Did the dealership change hands since he passed?

No.  Don's son, Derek, was CFO and I guess has now taken the reins.  There was rumor that Kyle Petty was going to buy Tilley's, but I think that ship has sailed.  I think they'll continue to do good.  8) Later--HUBBARD 

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

I sat up in the shop last night in the shop drinking a little Dickel and talking to Sapphire. It's going to hard trading her in. I just don't need 4 Screamin Eagles sitting in my Garage!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.