Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Has anyone used the Vance and Hines FP3 yet?  (Read 17615 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Has anyone used the Vance and Hines FP3 yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »

This argument is like many others; some people only care about "good enough", and others want to talk about "the best".  IF the folks selling these basic devices actually have a good canned map that matches a persons bike exactly, then many and even most people will probably be satisfied with that.  On the other hand, those who want the best for their time and money will be better served with a full tune performed by a real full time tuner on their particular bike.  It's not necessarily bashing the products like the Fuel Pak 3, it's just letting the person asking the question know there is a better alternative if he is interested.  This forum is about sharing information and knowledge, and that's what I see here.  It's not necessary to get upset when someone who knows a lot more about the subject explains that the product you chose may do the job but not as well as a real professional custom tune.  As long as you're happy with your choice and results, why would you care?  But that explanation may in fact be important to someone else who hasn't made a decision yet.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I don't really know of any sought after tuners in the area.  Everyone uses dealers, which is why I was thinking that if I use Vance and Hines products with the FP3, it would be as good as Fullsac.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »

I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I don't really know of any sought after tuners in the area.  Everyone uses dealers, which is why I was thinking that if I use Vance and Hines products with the FP3, it would be as good as Fullsac.

That's a huge demographic I find it hard to believe there are no competent tuners there?

But really the issue here is that nobody trusts any Harley tuners. Pretty sad.

Jerry you make some good points. Some ppl are ok with dropping 36k on a bike and then cutting corners afterwards and others want the best available. To each his own. Do what ever makes YOU happy  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »

It"s a personal choice. I had a RK 15 years ago with PCIII that was perfessionally tuned that ran exceptional, great mileage, smooth power over the full range, just a great running bike. Then I bought the new SEEG and dealer said let me put in HD download, if you don't like it I won't charge you, It was not a good as the RK but I paid around a hundred vs $550 on RK for tuner and dyno time, so saved $450 and it was OK, not great, OK. Bought the SERG and went Fullsac inserts with TTS and Fullsac supplied map, much like the old RK it was just a fun/smooth bike that I enjoyed riding and only cost around $450 with cables. Good deal, then I paid a famous Florida tuner (name withheld) $400 to totally screw it up to the point I hated to ride it, after his third attempt I reloaded the Fullsac map and left it alone till I sold it 5 years later. On the new CVORK I installed the Fullsac baffles and have a FP3. That is it, no more dyno tunes for me, no more letting somebody beat the crap out of my bike for a couple HP, just not worth it. I am old enough peak power is not as important as a smooth rideable torque curve and with some of the technology in the current tuners it is just not worth the money (to me) for a (word overused) "tune". IMHO. The new bikes actually run very good, I heard alot of people @ Bikeweek in the tent after test rides that were amazed how good they run vs a few years ago and I agree.

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »

If your willing to make a trip to Mattoon IL ,, Your bike will be tuned by one of the Best Tuners in the USA.. I'll PM the information

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »

IF some one in TX has this new unit bring it buy the shop after you  get it dialed in or better yet lets tune it on the drum while we read afr .  I will show afr traces and you will see what really is tuned and what is not.   

No charge at all . And with the dyno  we can steady state the tune to be sure that the sensors are hitting each cell in the tune.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »

IF some one in TX has this new unit bring it buy the shop after you  get it dialed in or better yet lets tune it on the drum while we read afr .  I will show afr traces and you will see what really is tuned and what is not.   

No charge at all . And with the dyno  we can steady state the tune to be sure that the sensors are hitting each cell in the tune.
That's awesome. Let's see the real world data.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »

GMR. (Steve) is a well respected member and vendor on this site. I for one value his opinion and info he provides us. I only wish I was closer to him as I would love to have him dial in my motor. :drink:

CVO Limited

• TN

• CVO1: 2014 Limited
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »

You can mark me down as a happy customer, owner, and user of the FP3. I was able to change the head pipe to the Fuel Moto ceramic coated, the muffler cores to the Fulsack 2.0, and install the FP3 in my garage. Not only did I do it myself but I saved time, money, and was back on the bike the same day. It may not be the most HP and TQ out there but I have no complaints. It's easy to tell it has more power and the sound is much better while being a little louder. I can't answer any questions about spects because it wasn't Dynoed. However, it does have a function where I can see the "approximent" power and torque.

If you are think about it, then its really about preference.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »

Funny, friend has the FP3 and it burbles and pops on decel @ around 1800 rpm. Folks say "they all do that" and it can't be tuned out. One of my bikes acted the same way right off the showroom floor. So I took it to a famous Florida tuner 2 weeks ago, no decel issues, smooth all the way from idle to WFO. Worth the $400.00 and the trip.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »

Funny, friend has the FP3 and it burbles and pops on decel @ around 1800 rpm. Folks say "they all do that" and it can't be tuned out. One of my bikes acted the same way right off the showroom floor. So I took it to a famous Florida tuner 2 weeks ago, no decel issues, smooth all the way from idle to WFO. Worth the $400.00 and the trip.

They all do that? LOL funny mine doesn't do that but I took it to a guy that was trained by Mike Roland  :nixweiss:

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »

"I took it to a guy that was trained by Mike Roland "

Doug Lofgren tuned a bike for me back in 2005, when him and Roland were connected. Best tune I had.
 Doc in Fl. just did a good job on my 2015 RG. Brian at Valley also did a bike for me in 2009.  :2vrolijk_21:

2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »

"I took it to a guy that was trained by Mike Roland "

Doug Lofgren tuned a bike for me back in 2005, when him and Roland were connected. Best tune I had.
 Doc in Fl. just did a good job on my 2015 RG. Brian at Valley also did a bike for me in 2009.  :2vrolijk_21:

Doug is who I was referring to 8)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »

I ended up calling Fuelmoto, and I went with the power vision.  This will be the third time....I'll stick with what I know works.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »

I ended up calling Fuelmoto, and I went with the power vision.  This will be the third time....I'll stick with what I know works.
I run a power vision from Fuel Moto. I ended up getting a tune anyway but it's a great tool with lots of options.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.