Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Lost hydraulic pressure on clutch - clutch recall  (Read 56369 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Lost hydraulic pressure on clutch - clutch recall
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Cam, your trans has GOT to be getting full!

I wonder if the contamination might actually be visible in the drained trans fluid.
I wouldn't drain it at this point but I'd sure want to check the level and document it.

Actually, if it were on my lift, I know what I would do.
I would drain the trans dry, leave it open and start filling and operating the clutch while catching the fluid from the trans in a clean plan. Just to clear up the *mystery* which is actually not a mystery at all.

Your clutch actuator is leaking. Your transmission is receiving and storing.
Now, how in the HELL any 'mechanic' could not figure this out is beyond belief.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:30:06 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »

Agreed. This is the third time the clutch fluid has ended up in the transmission. Contacted Frederick and they could not look at the bike until the 18th. I made an appointment and just to get a few things off my chest called Quantico back to talk to the salesman (Morgan) who sold the bike to let him know I will be calling HD customer service to complain. I told him this problem is no joke as I also have my wife with me when riding and if anything happens it's not just me who might get hurt. He sympathized with me but asked me to talk to the owner 'Ken' before giving up on them. Ken was in a meeting (!) and Scott, the sales manager, picked up the phone. He apologized and sympathized and told me Ken would be calling me within half an hour and they WILL make it right...

2 hours later Garry, the service manager called to arrange for the bike to be picked up (tomorrow at 10 AM as their driver is gone for the day). He did not remember me even though I talked to him last Saturday and met him this past Monday (3 days ago) when they delivered the bike with the clutch not working, he was the one to check and verify that the clutch is dead and went inside and got the service guy to come out and take the bike in. I also bought the bike from them and they picked it up once already last week. This don't sound good guys. Very disappointed.

I told Scott that I don't lose my cool as I don't think it helps to throw a fit but I am documenting my experience online.

Oh, Ken never called.

:'(

Cam

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »

Wow. Sad experience. Sorry Cam.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »

Wow. Sad experience. Sorry Cam.

Damn Cam,

It's like I said, I knew it would happen!

Bring that puppy over and we will through it on the lift and change the actuator/slave out and change the tranny fluid.   :bananarock:

No charge on my part.  Then take back the defective part and demand a refund.   :apple:

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »

I spoke with Steve of GMR PERFORMANCE this morning. He thinks the throw out bearing on the Barnett clutch may have went bad causing a shift in everything and locking the lever up. I am sure the new orleans shop changes the master cylinder because a worn place in the chrome on the old lever is no longer there. The Hammond shop said they are going to check the hydraulic system completely including the slave and also check the clutch itself. The service manager said if it was a hydraulic problem ESP should cover it. If it is a Barnett clutch issue I will contact the person at Barnett Steve told me to call and get them to send a replacement warrantied clutch to the Hammond shop. Steve installed the clutch in late February. Steve also said if I get any flack from Barnett to let him know and he would help. The Hammond Harley shop is going to be a couple of days before they can get to it but I am headed offshore to work anyway. I will keep yall posted.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:18:49 PM by T-Roy »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »

Interesting how this is obviously an issue that happens a lot and yet the service departments have no way of sharing any info on its occurrence or how, if ever, they fix it. As a computer geek I see an opportunity for a knowledge sharing website for the dealer network. Kinda like what we have here for us riders. Hmmm...

Cam

There is a technet system on the Harley network for the dealers (not available to the general public).  I haven't been on it so I have no idea what kind of information is available to the techs, but the problem goes a lot deeper than just having someone tell them exactly what the problem is and what to do about it.  The bigger problem is that these so-called techs don't understand how the system works, and therefore have no clue how to diagnose a problem.  They really should be called parts changers, not technicians or mechanics.  And Harley does in fact have easy to follow diagnostic routines available to the dealership employees, both in paper manuals and on the shop computer system.  As someone said a long time ago, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Most Harley dealers need to seriously upgrade the quality of the people in their service departments, but as we've talked about many times before most aren't willing to spend the money and don't see a need to do anything as long as the "faithful" keep coming back and buying more bikes and accessories and clothes and other crap. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »

Damn Cam,

It's like I said, I knew it would happen!

Bring that puppy over and we will through it on the lift and change the actuator/slave out and change the tranny fluid.   :bananarock:

No charge on my part.  Then take back the defective part and demand a refund.   :apple:
John,

Thank you very much for the offer. The dealer is insisting that I give them one more shot. They are prioritizing the repairs and will have the bike back to me tomorrow or Saturday if all goes well. If not I will do as you said and then will owe you big time.

Jerry you are so right. But unless I get to be as good as the rest of y'all and do my own repairs or someone else makes a bike that looks and acts like a Harley I have to find a way to live with the shortcomings.

The saga continues...

Cam

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »

John,

Thank you very much for the offer. The dealer is insisting that I give them one more shot. They are prioritizing the repairs and will have the bike back to me tomorrow or Saturday if all goes well. If not I will do as you said and then will owe you big time.

Jerry you are so right. But unless I get to be as good as the rest of y'all and do my own repairs or someone else makes a bike that looks and acts like a Harley I have to find a way to live with the shortcomings.

The saga continues...

Cam

You're not a virgin anymore! You did your own exhaust mod and loaded the tune with windows - I'll bet that with a modestly stocked tool box and a shop manual there's not much you wouldn't be able to tackle so don't sell yourself short. Besides if you get into a repair and need help we'll be here on the old interweb, and some of the members would probably even be willing to be there in person to help you out.

I do hope that the dealer has an actual technician with some troubleshooting skills work on and repair your bike this time.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

You're not a virgin anymore! You did your own exhaust mod and loaded the tune with windows - I'll bet that with a modestly stocked tool box and a shop manual there's not much you wouldn't be able to tackle so don't sell yourself short. Besides if you get into a repair and need help we'll be here on the old interweb, and some of the members would probably even be willing to be there in person to help you out.

I do hope that the dealer has an actual technician with some troubleshooting skills work on and repair your bike this time.

Thanks Phato. Actually Russ (05train) helped me out with the Hayden Tensioner install on the CVO BO and John (jpb) has volunteered to help out with the clutch repairs if necessary. There's also Jimmy (2k) who last year told me to bring the chrome brake calipers and he was going to help me install them while I stayed at his place. So you are right. Unfortunately due to my relative lack of real mechanical skills all I can offer is to show up for moral support (and bring the beer as soon as the bagger is operational) or as an extra pair of hands to move heavy objects around.

Cam

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »

Update:

Quantico showed up this morning and picked up the bike around 9 AM. I got a call from Blake in the service department around 1:30 to explain one more time what I have experienced with the bike. I went through the whole thing again and insisted that they either explain where the fluid is ending up or flush the transmission regardless of what they have to do to fix the clutch. The service guy told me he had to contact Harley to see if they would approve the repairs!!! I asked him if he really needed to do that for a bike that is 4 months old and only has 500 miles on it. He said Harley has to approve the process and encouraged me to contact them myself if I so desired. So...

Contacted Harley customer service, went through the whole story yet again and the harley representative said there is no record of any request to them or any info on my bike regarding any service. He wanted to know why I called since that is not necessary. I told him I was told I needed to contact them. He disputed the opinion that the clutch fluid could 'ever' end up in the transmission and wanted to know where I got that idea. I told him I am in no position to argue that point but asked him to tell me where else the fluid, which as been filled up 3 times in four months, could possibly end up. I also told him regardless of where the fluid is I need them to tell me and also flush whatever area contained the lost fluid, cuz it sure as heck ain't on my garage floor or their shot floor.

He was very apologetic and said he will contact the dealership and call me back with updates.

Stay tuned...

Cam

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »

*<subscribed>*

Did you happen to check the level of the transmission fluid?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:20:24 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

Update:

Quantico showed up this morning and picked up the bike around 9 AM. I got a call from Blake in the service department around 1:30 to explain one more time what I have experienced with the bike. I went through the whole thing again and insisted that they either explain where the fluid is ending up or flush the transmission regardless of what they have to do to fix the clutch. The service guy told me he had to contact Harley to see if they would approve the repairs!!! I asked him if he really needed to do that for a bike that is 4 months old and only has 500 miles on it. He said Harley has to approve the process and encouraged me to contact them myself if I so desired. So...

Contacted Harley customer service, went through the whole story yet again and the harley representative said there is no record of any request to them or any info on my bike regarding any service. He wanted to know why I called since that is not necessary. I told him I was told I needed to contact them. He disputed the opinion that the clutch fluid could 'ever' end up in the transmission and wanted to know where I got that idea. I told him I am in no position to argue that point but asked him to tell me where else the fluid, which as been filled up 3 times in four months, could possibly end up. I also told him regardless of where the fluid is I need them to tell me and also flush whatever area contained the lost fluid, cuz it sure as heck ain't on my garage floor or their shot floor.

He was very apologetic and said he will contact the dealership and call me back with updates.

Stay tuned...

Cam

Cam,

Hang n there.  Your dealing with idiots.  Once you get it fixed you can stay clear of them in the future.

Tell them you are going to invoke the lemon law and you want a full refund.  Bike has been in for the same repair three times in less than two weeks.

I am glad you are staying cool!  I would be there raising hell and probably would be hauled to jail by the local police about now.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »

Cam,  I hope the service department there fixes you up! I always hate hearing about issues with new bikes and the dealers not reacting properly. I am lucky and have a good dealer.  I am still waiting to hear the final results and hopefully you will be safely on your way!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »

*<subscribed>*

Did you happen to check the level of the transmission fluid?

No. As much as I am being asked if I have touched the clutch system or anything else in any way every time I talk to them I want to be able to say no emphatically.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »

Ok, I can understand that position.

Personally, *I* would be Soooooo curious that I would have to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010FLHTCUSE5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.