Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Lost hydraulic pressure on clutch - clutch recall  (Read 56602 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Lost hydraulic pressure on clutch - clutch recall
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »

Ok, I can understand that position.

Personally, *I* would be Soooooo curious that I would have to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After all the BS Cam has been through w/this issue I doubt if I could let them look at my bike w/o me looking over their shoulder. :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »

After all the BS Cam has been through w/this issue I doubt if I could let them look at my bike w/o me looking over their shoulder. :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Amen dOOd

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »

Update:

Quantico showed up this morning and picked up the bike around 9 AM. I got a call from Blake in the service department around 1:30 to explain one more time what I have experienced with the bike. I went through the whole thing again and insisted that they either explain where the fluid is ending up or flush the transmission regardless of what they have to do to fix the clutch. The service guy told me he had to contact Harley to see if they would approve the repairs!!! I asked him if he really needed to do that for a bike that is 4 months old and only has 500 miles on it. He said Harley has to approve the process and encouraged me to contact them myself if I so desired. So...

Contacted Harley customer service, went through the whole story yet again and the harley representative said there is no record of any request to them or any info on my bike regarding any service. He wanted to know why I called since that is not necessary. I told him I was told I needed to contact them. He disputed the opinion that the clutch fluid could 'ever' end up in the transmission and wanted to know where I got that idea. I told him I am in no position to argue that point but asked him to tell me where else the fluid, which as been filled up 3 times in four months, could possibly end up. I also told him regardless of where the fluid is I need them to tell me and also flush whatever area contained the lost fluid, cuz it sure as heck ain't on my garage floor or their shot floor.

He was very apologetic and said he will contact the dealership and call me back with updates.

Stay tuned...

Cam

Arghhhhh....  Incompetence runs rampant at every turn...   
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »

Update: Nothing - nada - nichts - rien - bupkis - di nulla - As in I did not hear back from HD or the dealer.  :nixweiss:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »

Update: I did not hear back from the dealer so I called the service department. All the technicians that have worked on my bike are out today and they have made no notes on the service ticket so I was told to call back tomorrow.

So I called back Harley customer service. Talked to Tim, who told me the dealer told them they bled the line, topped it off with fluid and the bike is working perfectly now.

I asked Tim where the fluid could be going since this is the fourth time they are topping it off and why they don't seem to care one way or another. They say the dealer is disputing my claim and they have to side with their dealer.

I asked to talk to somebody higher up and I was told there is nobody higher up at Harley I can talk to.

Does anyone have any contact info within Harley customer service to get me connected?

I am about to go with another brand. Can not take a chance with a bike that is gonna have me AND my wife on it with clutch/transmission problems.

Cam

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »

I'm banging my head on the desk just reading this.

How in the Hell anyone could just 'blow off' the lost clutch fluid issue is beyond me.

I can certainly understand your frustration. If it were me, I would have to force the issue with the dealer.
Before that, the only other thing to try would be to contact different dealer service managers to ask if THEY can fix your bike after hearing the issue.
As to forcing it, I would go there and demand that they CHECK the trans fluid level right in front of me, then drain the trans. Then pull the trans door and lets just SEE if we can make it leak while it's open. I would offer, (if necessary) to pay their hourly rate IF it's proven not to leak.

Or try this: call CS again and speak to whomever, but insist that they get an engineer on the line to agree with what you're being told.
I will expect that this will not be your course of action but at LEAST call another dealer and see if they will fix it.

Ricky
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:51:24 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »

I'm at a loss for words at the way they've treated your issue Cam, I'd be in jail about now; or at least barred from the Dealership for life-oh and they'd own the bike back too, use the lemon law on'em guy.  :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »

Maybe you should tell the dealer service manager and HD customer service that you would like the Harley factory rep to meet with you to discuss the problem. And since this is repair attempt 4 I think perhaps informing all of them that you will be initiating a Lemon Law claim. Especially considering the Safety aspect of the problem. Check your states lemon law requirements so you know what the rules are. Go in well informed and let them all know your done playing games with you and your passengers safety.

Once the rep is there ask to have the darn side cover of the tranny - the side with the clutch actuator obviously- taken off to check the thing. This should not be taken as a outrageous request since it's not really that hard to do.......

Sorry you have to deal with this extreme level of incompetence. 
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »

Just remembered another thing. Not sure how your state law works but here in CT they are liable for loss if use also. When I had issues with a Ford truck, upon it's 4th trip in for brake problems I refused to accept the vehicle back from the service department until Ford or their rep was willing to provide written documentation that the ongoing issue was fixed......met the rep, had him drive the truck for a day and....long story made short, I didn't take THAT truck home...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »

I spoke with Hammond Harley about my clutch issue yesterday. Even though they are open on Sunday the tech that is working on my bike was off for the day. He started on it late Saturday but has not completed a diagnosis yet. The shop is closed on Monday so I am hoping they will have it diagnosed by the end of tomorrow.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »

Cam, maybe you could pull your transmission dipstick, take a picture of the over full condition that surely exists, and see if you can E-Mail the picture to someone at Customer service.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »

What burns me up is that within HDs knowledge base, SOMEWHERE, there is a database of troubleshooting steps that is maintained for training and fault-finding.
You and I don't have access to it, but someone does and engineering does.
That info MUST contain in writing the steps for checking trans fluid and draining in the event of an actuator leak.
THIS is the info that somebody needs to shove in the face of the dealer AND CS.

2010FLHTCUSE5

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 01:32:26 PM »

I'm in agreement with Cam's earlier post about not touching the thing. I myself would be there with the HD rep and the dealership owner to witness any further "diagnosis" by these folks. That way everyone involved knows what is being done and nobody can point any fingers in your direction,  claiming you did anything to the clutch/tranny. Just my paranoid opinion of course.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »

Anyone with a mechanical sense can look at the exploded views in the parts book and see quite simply that if *this leaks*, the fluid will go *here.*
How anyone can claim to be a mechanic and NOT get this is a fool.
Cam, please do this: pose the question differently, say "Ok, MINE may not be leaking, but just academically... I have to ask "*IF* a clutch actuator seal (the seal around its piston) DOES leak.... where does THAT fluid go?"

2010FLHTCUSE5

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »

I called Scott, the sales manager, to complain. He is the only one who tries to talk to me like I matter. Anyhow, he promised to call me back in 30 minutes to tell me what's up.

Just got a call back from him and he explained to me that there is no fluid loss because there was air in the clutch system that they had to bleed out so every time they have added fluid it has in fact still been too low and that's why they are confident that the fluid is not ending up in the transmission. I told him how I could possibly believe them since they apparently had to bleed this line 3 times to get the air completely out and every time they have told me the bike is fixed. He said he understands my concern but wants to assure me that the air was the only problem and it is now, this time, fixed for sure.

They are keeping the bike one more day to make sure it's really fixed this time and will call me tomorrow and return the bike once the service manager signs off on it.

:nixweiss:

I have always been a supporter of HD and have tried to counter balance the negativity surrounding the quality and service. But man right now I am doing all I can to not join the detractors.

Serenity now...serenity now...

Cam
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.