Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgrading stock rear air shocks?  (Read 1827 times)

Wicked12CVOUltra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7, Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
Upgrading stock rear air shocks?
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

I have read a lot of posts about opinions on rear shocks.  I am looking to upgrade the stock rear air shocks on a 12 Ultra.  I am not looking for a performance shock, just a middle of the road hand adjustable shock.  I am also looking at lowering the rear an inch to be able to plant my feet a little better.  I ride 1 up and 2 up 50/50.  About 350 lbs. with the both of us. Just mostly local riding and day trips, not too much traveling.  What do you think is the best bang for my buck?  Thanks. 

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Upgrading stock rear air shocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:41 PM »

Call Howard at   www.motorcyclemetal.com

Don't waist you money on anything other than Ohlins. No comparison to stock
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »

Call Howard at   www.motorcyclemetal.com

Don't waist you money on anything other than Ohlins. No comparison to stock
X2
Alan

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »

I still like the quality of the ride with Suspension Technologies USA shocks and great buying experience with Metal Dragon too. I like that the shocks are made to your weight and riding style and can be made in different finishes.
More info in this thread :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

If you are happy with the suspension as is but just want the bike to be lower maybe you might want to consider some other mods first like having your seat lowered or sculpted out on the sides to bring your legs closer together. Some members also get material added to the soles of their riding boots to give them more length. If you use shorter shocks you may bottom out the suspension or scrape on turns etc.

Wicked12CVOUltra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »

I still like the quality of the ride with Suspension Technologies USA shocks and great buying experience with Metal Dragon too. I like that the shocks are made to your weight and riding style and can be made in different finishes.
More info in this thread :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

If you are happy with the suspension as is but just want the bike to be lower maybe you might want to consider some other mods first like having your seat lowered or sculpted out on the sides to bring your legs closer together. Some members also get material added to the soles of their riding boots to give them more length. If you use shorter shocks you may bottom out the suspension or scrape on turns etc.

I am not happy with the stock suspension by any means.  Thank you for the other options though.  I would have not thought to go that route if that were the case.  As for now, I am still weighing out my options on which route to take. 

gary_r

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »

The stock Ultra shock is 13". The stock shock on the street glide or road glide custom is 12". So lowering 1" won't be a problem. You"ll just need enough adjustability for the 1 up 2 up weight delta.

Still though, I'd call Howard at www.motorcyclemetal.com

He'll tune the shocks per your input. Give him the wrong input and you'll get the wrong shock tuning. If you can manage to visit his shop it'll be spot on.

I mention that only because some folks have complained about having to wait for returns via mail to get it right. Either way you'll end up with the best shocks available.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »

I went from air shocks to the Harley hand adjustable on my SG and they were a big improvement, even going from 13" to 12" but then I went to the Ohlins from Howard as above. No comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Wicked12CVOUltra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »

Well, I took your guys advise and talked to Howard.  After talking to him a couple of times and reconfirming my measurements, I ended up ordering the 12" number 3's.  I just ordered them, so obviously I don't have any feedback yet.  I will definitely let you guys know how pleased I am with them.  Thanks again!!

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.