Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Howard's 30MM Ohlins kit for Harley forks  (Read 21790 times)

Bruce2018cvorg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Re: Howard's 30MM Ohlins kit for Harley forks
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »

I too am about to install Howard’s 30mm cartridges into a 2018 cvorgs.  Fork tubes have been modified and will install tomorrow.  I already have the 044’s in the rear.  Garya1 would you mind sharing your setup numbers with me?  You mentioned you have yours set up to 2.5” of sag.  Is that static sag (no rider) or rider sag (you on the bike)?  What is your rear set up?

Hoping this does the trick as I am very disappointed with the ride and handling...

Bruce2018cvorg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »

Recently install this kit (30mm Ohlins) and have not been able to make it work to my satisfaction yet.  I can make the forks bottom too easy (in my opinion) with front brake.  I will admit that I may not fit the mold of the normal Harley rider.  No amount of compression damping or preload adjustment can stop it.  Also increased the oil level above the recommended level in an effort to get an increase air spring effect at the end of stroke (bottomed out).  The existing setup from Howard comes with a 10N/mm spring in each side.  I called Ohlins and spoke to a technical rep regarding my setup and he said that Ohlins would not use a 10M/mm spring in a Harley bagger.  He Recommended 12 which is what they use in their new setup for my bike.  Hmmm... an engineering company that just happens to have specialized in suspensions.  I’m going to go out on a limb here to say that they have probably done the necessary engineering as well as testing to come up with that solution.

Once the new springs come in I will tear into it once again!  New springs and an oil level of 140mm is where I’m
headed. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »

Was the kit supposed to come with 12 mm from Ohlins or was this a Howard kit ?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Bruce2018cvorg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »

Gary, how loud is the bang as the forks bottom when you grab a handful of front brake?

Claysmithjr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • HI

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2023, 08:13:55 PM »

Aloha, I know this is probably a dead thread, but had a questions for the original poster or anyone else running Howard’s Ohlins 30mm Road & Track.

I am also running Howard’s 30mm Ohlins in my 2017 FXDLS with an FXRT fairing; however, have not been able to set them properly since Howard’s passing 😢. I currently have 9.5Nm springs with 14 rebound, 10 Compression, and 13 preload. It seems a bit off, and sits with 2+ inches of sag so the front is dipped more than stock suspension. I recently bought a set of 12Nm springs I plan on dropping in this week. Can anyone tell me what setup and springs they are running in their 30mm Ohlins?   Mahalo.

Claysmithjr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • HI

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2023, 08:09:49 PM »

So I installed the 12N/mm springs and completely transformed the ride. I have to thank Kevin from BBP for the assistance and spring recommendation. 5mm preload and 6 clicks of each Compression and Rebound. Will continue to dial in the last two, but so much better and no longer hear the twang of the springs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.