Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?  (Read 28183 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 09:00:05 PM »

If you own a CVO I bet you have a few other high end possessions. If you have the mean why would we settle for the cheap,  the mundane and the ugly?

The car thing has been mentioned and using the Ford Mustang as an example, who would rather have the V6 lowest trim model??? There are those out there that will but I bet they do not own a CVO. There are just some people that like to have the high end and they get the big 500 motor.

BTW Haird that Bentley is old and ugly.

I had New CVO's before I could afford other high end possessions, with the exception of my Home, which built.  I was on my Third CVO before I got what would be a mid range car.  People use to laugh, I has a Base chevy impala for a car and a New CVO road glide.  But my first love is Motorcycles.  Wife's comment when I bought the 30K motorcycle was "I never had a 30K car"  My reply was neither have I.  We both laughed as she has a love for bikes too.  We both had two bikes each before we got our first car over 22K

You are correct, as the means came about, we got a nicer Car, a Range Rover, then a coupe years later a 14 Stingray, was going to get base with all performance options but when I ordered I went and got the Highest trim level and all performance options.

Heck for what I put in my 15 SERGU and her very custom RG Special with custom paint and so on, I could have a loaded 15 ZO6.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:11 PM »

I had New CVO's before I could afford other high end possessions, with the exception of my Home, which built.  I was on my Third CVO before I got what would be a mid range car.  People use to laugh, I has a Base chevy impala for a car and a New CVO road glide.  But my first love is Motorcycles.  Wife's comment when I bought the 30K motorcycle was "I never had a 30K car"  My reply was neither have I.  We both laughed as she has a love for bikes too.  We both had two bikes each before we got our first car over 22K

You are correct, as the means came about, we got a nicer Car, a Range Rover, then a coupe years later a 14 Stingray, was going to get base with all performance options but when I ordered I went and got the Highest trim level and all performance options.

Heck for what I put in my 15 SERGU and her very custom RG Special with custom paint and so on, I could have a loaded 15 ZO6.

Glad I'm not the only one! LOL. Wife drives a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I drive a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (16th year in a row). No plans to upgrade the vehicles any time soon ;)

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:02 PM »

Why CVO?  10 years ago, it was for engine, paint, and wheels: 103 vs 88 was a 17% increase in displacement; non-CVO paint was uninspired and relatively poor quality compared to CVO; CVO wheels were a big step up from the usual.  Those three items were fairly expensive upgrades and more than enough.

Now:  110 vs 103 is a 6.8% increase; non-CVO paint isn't up to CVO, but is waaay better in quality and color choices; CVO wheels are still better.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 06:36:10 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one! LOL. Wife drives a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I drive a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (16th year in a row). No plans to upgrade the vehicles any time soon ;)

Jesse

nope, not the only one.  when i have to drive, i drive a 2003 ford f150.  i usually put somewhere between 4-5000 miles a year on my truck.  double that for the bike.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »

nope, not the only one.  when i have to drive, i drive a 2003 ford f150.  i usually put somewhere between 4-5000 miles a year on my truck.  double that for the bike.
Amen. Put 11k on bike and 3k on car haha

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »

The wife and I talked about this same thing when we were considering the CVO. The reasons we decided to go with the CVO Streetglide vs a standard Streetglide were:

* custom paint job
* painter inner fairing
* chrome control housings
* chrome shift linkage
* nicer chrome lower brake and shift levers
* chrome clutch and brake levers
* chrome lower forks
* nicer chrome brake rotors
* nicer grips and footboards
* nicer seat
* included backrest
* high flow air cleaner
* rear bag fillers
* stretched bags
* lowers
* nicer stereo
* larger engine
* nicer wheels

We figured that if we added these features, which we probably would anyway, to a standard Streetglide we would be getting pretty close to the CVO pricing. We already knew that we would be adding pipes and a tuner, that's just a given going in.

Since owning the CVO we have only added a set of cams & lifters, pipes/tuner and 12" Yaffee bars. I only added the cams & lifters out of all the concern over heat and we bought a chopped tour pack for long trips.

My brother bought a standard CVO and has already added the following:

* Cams, lifter, pistons, heads and throttle body (to keep up with the 110 :o)
* custom wheels
* chrome shift linkage
* painted inner fairing
* chrome lower brake and shift levers
* chrome brake and clutch levers
* chrome control housings
* chrome lower forks
* grips and floorboards
* High flow chrome air cleaner
* backrest
* a ton of misc chrome pieces
* bars

So far he has about $8,000 in it and is looking to do a paint job. My older brother will be doing the work. But even with free labor he will have about $2,000 in paint stuffs. Plus he wants stretched bags.

So for $10,000 more than a standard Streetglide my brother will have about $10,000+ in extras to achieve the same.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:55:56 AM by willyB »
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »

Jesse

Not just me then... 2015 CVO Street Glide,  and a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought a few years old for £8k.  :)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »

Amen. Put 11k on bike and 3k on car haha

My my 15 month old car has 6900 miles on it.  My 7 month old bike has 12000 miles on it, and I have during that time put miles on my 2013 Bike, about 4K, and I put 10,000 miles on the bike I traded during the time I have owned the car.

I have been averaging 23000 miles a year the last several on bikes, and about 6K or less in the car's.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »

My my 15 month old car has 6900 miles on it.  My 7 month old bike has 12000 miles on it, and I have during that time put miles on my 2013 Bike, about 4K, and I put 10,000 miles on the bike I traded during the time I have owned the car.

I have been averaging 23000 miles a year the last several on bikes, and about 6K or less in the car's.

Rain snow and ice keep me in the truck. Pulling trailers with four wheelers and tractors is not so easy on the CVO and hauling my deer and turkeys around is better in the truck. I just seem to need to use the four wheeled vehicles more than you guys. CVO's are no better at these activities than the non bikes so not thread relevant.

Bottom line on why CVO? Because they cost so much and I want to show the world i am rich and have arrived and have more money than I need for necessities. :D

PTRider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

Why a CVO??
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

Been wanting a new ride for over a year and am considering a CVO SG? Curious what led you guys and gals here to choose the CVO over a regular bike? Is it the chrome? Is it the 110 motor? Something else?

Thanks!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Why a CVO??
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »

Fair question for a newbie that's curious.  It's been asked here from time to time over the years.  I'll leave it for other members that maybe haven't had the opportunity to answer it in the past.

However, just wanted to let you know that I moved it up here where you'll get a broader response from all CVO owners.  I'll just say that I've been on this forum for 13 years and there's only been a small handful that once they move up to a CVO, if they're still riding, they don't move back to a regular model of Harley.  Sounds kind of arrogant and I really don't mean for it to but there is some truth in the old saying.....Once you're at the top of the hill everything else is back down.

You might also go to the Introduction board and introduce yourself to everybody here......we do really read those.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE hard candy
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE crimson
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSB (sold)
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »

Resale value is another good reason. Take a regular model and do every upgrade to make it as close to a CVO as possible. The CVO will retain a lot of its value. The upgraded model you will get 25% value on all those upgrades. Not saying you won't upgrade the CVO, but the hit won't be as hard when you want to upgrade to a newer model. Just a thought
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 11:37:54 PM »

The answer is yes and yes.  I have had many friends spend more than the price of a CVO trying to get a good looking bike with strong performance.  When it come time to sell they get NOTHING for all the dollars they put down that rabbit hole.  Even after spending an extra 12k they still don't look as good as a CVO.

On the used market people who purchase used CVO are looking for theses specific upgrades. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2015, 12:37:54 AM »

I agree with JC and don't ever want to sound or come off arrogant but once you have a CVO you realize its kinda like being part of a "club within a club" of Harley people. Not only here on this forum but when you are out riding you will find that when you stop somewhere even if there are many Harley's there, the CVO people find a way to gravitate towards each other. When I got my CVO, I didn't get it because it was the most expensive bike available but because as soon as I saw it I fell in love with it. Now that I have had it for 3 years, I wouldn't consider getting a Harley that wasn't a CVO even though I do have a tendency to change whatever I get. It probably would make more financial sense for me to buy a non CVO considering I am going to end up changing motor, suspension, stereo and most other "main parts" (mostly because I have a sickness that I can't control..) of the bike but for me, it is still "part of the family".
This might not make much sense to you reading this but it will to many on this forum and hopefully you do get a CVO and become part of our "forum family". I will promise you this, if you do join, you will never have to worry about having to much money in your bank account!
Good luck on your decision
Alan

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »

Resale x 3 x 4
Bill
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.