Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?  (Read 15588 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »

BTW,
     Go with the Power Stroke and [highlight]chip[/highlight] it..............Lot's of torque...

_Beagle

Now that seems like a good idea! ;D
Will try that on the Frontier!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 10:59:11 PM »

Port,
      The service dept's in the Ford dealers should be the most busy because they sell the most trucks. The Ford F-Series is the number one selling truck in America and has been for 20  years (probably the only reason Ford is still around.......god knows that the Taurus should have been shot 10 years ago and the 500 is as big a piece of crap as the T was).  Are the dealers that you go to the same size....ie. meaning they employ the same number of tech's????  do they sell the same number of vehicles each month??? Do they compete in the same markets (ie. Small trucks {pickups},  Medium {utility, flat bed, stake bodys} and the rig's {f90000}).  If not,  then your data may be skewed. The service dept's in all dealerships are always busy because they let people go and hire new ones on a monthly basis......yes believe it......when business slows,  they get rid of tech's......when it picks up....they buy more.  These guy's tote their $40K worth of tools from job to job  and work for these guy's until they say goodbye.  So I really don't understand what you're saying???

_Beagle
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:01:42 PM by domagalam »
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »

Go with the F-series super duty.  I work in many Ford plants as well as GM plants (around the world), and can tell you first hand,  the quality in the ford plants are WAY...WAY....WAY,  btw,  did I say... WAY better than anything I've seen in  North America and Mexico from GM.   Just an opinion from a guy that travels the world working in customers manufacturing plants.....

_Beagle

I don't know Beags, [highlight]the service departments for all 3 are always busy[/highlight].
As are the service departments for the various Asian and European brands.  One of the myths being perpetuated by the media is that the Asians have such a superior quality rating.  The facts are that the gap between the Japanese and GM/Ford has shrunk steadily since the mid 1980's, and the differences now are very minor (less than one repair per unit in most cases).  Both Ford and GM have individual car lines that in fact beat their Japanese competition, with some individual models rated "best in class".  I personally work in a plant building a car that competes with the Avalon; our car is rated #2 in the segment, while the Avalon is rated somewhere around #5 if I remember correctly.

If you want to bash the American auto industry, do it because we don't offer the styling or features you want (we have definitely been guilty on that front), but don't keep beating the dead horse of "inferior quality".  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »

GRC,
    No  doubt,  US quality is coming up,  but Detroit needs to get their poop in a group and make a product the will directly compete with the Metric brands.  I have to replace a vehicle this year,,,,and most likely it will come from Japan (after being a US guy all my life).  That sucks,  but the reality is that as a consumer,  I look for the best deal for me......and the metric brands are far and away better in quality and reliability than anything Detroit is pushing (with the exception of trucks.........on that note....FORD is the way to go....all of you Nissan {Datsun} owners......that Titan is nice,  but 3 yrs down the road.......plastic parts break,  windshields crack,  body parts fade....(real life.....buddy owns one).  Next truck (qualify that statement a bit....SUV.......Mommy and yhe Boyz need wheels)..is gonna be a Toyota.  Sorry USA!!!!

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »

GRC,
 Agreed,  CEO of Ford went to Japan to see a toyota line....during his stay,  bought a Lexus....as a sign of good will.  Got home......then cancelled the order.  Why,  It wouldn't look good yo investors..........my opinion......he'd be driving a better ride.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 11:45:07 PM »

'99 F250 XLT Super Cab 7.3 Deisel 4x2 8' bed with a Tommy Gate Lift. 186000 miles with a Hyper Tech program. Love it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:46:39 PM by hard10 »

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 12:57:41 AM »

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion w/ you guys but up here in the Great White North the most popular truck in my line of work (oilpatch) by a good 10 to one margin is Dodge. We beat the sh$t out of our trucks. I'm talkin' tied to the back end of a D6, plowing mud w/ your front bumper for miles over what can only be generously described as a "trail" (ie - no base to speak of, only muskeg) and usulally loaded to the balls w/ god knows what. They may not be pretty, but they'll get you there & back. The Fords have a nice interior, but they don't stand up to the abuse (suspension mostly) & the GM body can't take it (fenders etc). Just my 2 cents.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion w/ you guys but up here in the Great White North the most popular truck in my line of work (oilpatch) by a good 10 to one margin is Dodge. We beat the sh$t out of our trucks. I'm talkin' tied to the back end of a D6, plowing mud w/ your front bumper for miles over what can only be generously described as a "trail" (ie - no base to speak of, only muskeg) and usulally loaded to the balls w/ god knows what. They may not be pretty, but they'll get you there & back. The Fords have a nice interior, but they don't stand up to the abuse (suspension mostly) & the GM body can't take it (fenders etc). Just my 2 cents.

I was surprised that there weren't more Dodge votes too.  I have had three Crew cab F350 4X4 Diesels and two Dodges.

The Ford are a more comfortable ride, but the Dodge Cummins does get better mileage all around and especially when towing.  most of my towing is a 24 foot Featherlite with a car in it 85% of the time.  Over the last 6,000 miles it is getting 14.5mpg and it is cruisin' the freeway with a mix of city driving as well, all of it with the trailer.

I never got this with the Fords.  Not sure if I did another truck what I would do.  I really like the Ford, but it is hard to beat the Dodge.  I lean to another Dodge.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »

I'm thinking about the different areas that I am familiar with where people buy trucks, cause they need trucks for what they can do for you.  In Saskatchewan, where I grew up - there are mostly Dodge and Ford for the workers, and a whole lotta toyota/mazda for just driving into town and haulin a little bit of "stuff."  In Tennessee, where my husband's Mom lives, seems like there are mostly Dodge and Ford for the folks who need their trucks to "work" and then the smaller toyota and mazdas for haulin a bit of "stuff."  Now I am not talkin about the soccer mom's SUVs - they are buying vehicles that don't need to be so big to haul a couple of brats and a bit of drycleaning, I'm thinking about the construction workers, the farmers, the blue collar working folks.  Around here, seems that every contractor that has pulled into my yard over the last two and half years, have all been driving some version of a Ford F series, one Dodge.  No smaller trucks at all.  

My husband has a truck that only has to look purty, has not done an honest day of work since we bought it, and it is a Ford F-250, crew cab, long bed.  It does exactly what we want it to do right now - looks purty.  But if we ever get around to buying a trailer, it will do that too, If we want to throw a bike up in the back for some reason, it can do that too.  I've had the home depot folks load a couple pallets of mulch in the back, and a pallet of designer rocks, and it can do that too.  

Away from gut feelings - a quick google search finds the following three listings of "Best"

1.  Top Trucks by MSN Autos;

The Ford F-150 remains in the top spot as the most popular pickup among shoppers on MSN Autos for the third quarter of 2006, based on the number of visits to the site's vehicle information pages. Taking the second and third spots are two pickups from Toyota, the Tacoma and Tundra.

New to the top ten are two Japanese imports and two domestics. The Nissan Frontier places in the seventh spot followed by the Dodge Dakota. The redesigned Chevrolet Avalanche checks in at ninth and the Honda Ridgeline rounds out the top ten.

The list is comprised of six domestics and four imports, all from Japan. Automakers Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and Toyota each placed two trucks in the top ten.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:56:13 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:56:36 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »

Here's my final word on this thread:  #1 nameplate for the past 30 straight years, Ford F-Series pick-em-up.  Seriously doubt this would be the case if it wasn't an excellent vehicle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »

Here's my final word on this thread:  #1 nameplate for the past 30 straight years, Ford F-Series pick-em-up.  Seriously doubt this would be the case if it wasn't an excellent vehicle.
Jerry

But Jerry, remember this is driven by the number one Ford truck nameplate the F150.  Also, it is driven by what most folks use the truck for.

If I was buying a truck mostly to use for driving around (not towing) I would most likely by a Ford.

Although I do enjoy my daily truck driver more than any Ford I have had.......plus I get there quicker than in any Ford.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 09:25:03 AM »

But Jerry, remember this is driven by the number one Ford truck nameplate the F150.  Also, it is driven by what most folks use the truck for.

If I was buying a truck mostly to use for driving around (not towing) I would most likely by a Ford.

Although I do enjoy my daily truck driver more than any Ford I have had.......plus I get there quicker than in any Ford.

Rjob, don't I remember you saying that Highway Patrol passed [highlight]you[/highlight] at about 120 driving a Ford?
The SRT is beautiful. But I'm always affraid of having a truck that looked that nice. I'm affraid I would scratch it or get it dirty. I need something the dog can get into wet and move stuff with.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 09:28:17 AM »

Rjob, don't I remember you saying that Highway Patrol passed [highlight]you[/highlight] at about 120 driving a Ford?
The SRT is beautiful. But I'm always affraid of having a truck that looked that nice. I'm affraid I would scratch it or get it dirty. I need something the dog can get into wet and move stuff with.

Nope, I passed him and was pulling away, until the wanker hit his lights........that's when he passed me.  Still have no clue if it was HP, Fish and Game, City undercover, no clue but the best part of that drama is "no ticket" [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »

Nope, I passed him and was pulling away, until the wanker hit his lights........that's when he passed me.  Still have no clue if it was HP, Fish and Game, City undercover, no clue but the best part of that drama is "no ticket" [smiley=jalapeno.gif]
But were you wearing the underwear that does not need washing?   ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.