Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?  (Read 15591 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: What kind of truck - Pros & Cons?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »

But were you wearing the underwear that does not need washing?   ;D

I definitely could have used some.  57 going on  18 ::)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »

As my dearly departed mother-in-law used to say "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla!"
I agree that every brand of truck has good points and bad, same with bikes etc.
My father owned a dodge truck in the 1970's and it was strong and durable but was very cold blooded with that 318 motor. I have owned  a Ford  pickup truck with a 460 engine which was a great work truck but drank gas and a Ford Bronco which was fun.
I don't think anyone would argue that the SRT10 is the fastest truck on the road but I have heard it's not a good city truck and drinks gas.
Ford always says they have the #1 selling pickup but I have seen that they base that statement on dividing Chevy from GMC trucks. If you took the total of trucks made by GM I bet that statement would not be true. Not that GM could not make some improvements on their product line as well but it is not a bad truck.I have owned Suburbans and an Avalanche for about the past 19 years and have enjoyed them.
Having said all of that, the original poster said he will only be towing an 8,000 lb. load about 10% of his time. So I wonder if he needs a super heavy duty work truck with low gas mileage? Or maybe a more comfortable feature oriented truck for hauling a family etc? Also he may have some special needs to consider as well, being a large guy I can't fit in a small vehicle and I am not crazy about lifted or lowered trucks either but he may have a preferance?
I wish him luck on his quest to find the perfect truck for him and his family. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] 8-)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »

This is a thing you can talk about all day, I drive about 60,000 miles a year pulling a 5th wheel. I drive chevy's, Fords. I'm in a 2004. 250 Silverado now very comfortable good power, had a F-250 last time great truck just not as much power but it was a 2000 model. Like people say just depends on the truck, both companys are very good.

Don

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 12:09:05 PM »

In 2003 Ford came out with the 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel......more power, more torque and a smaller, lighter engine.

My last truck......an 02 Harley F-150 Supercharged 5.4.

The truck I drive now......an 04 FX 4x4, F-350, Dually, Lariet, Supercab, Longbed.  This truck would pull a barn!  I've pulled just about every other model of truck up out of the river (on the boat ramp when it's wet and all sandy) with a boat and trailer attached to it.

Here's a link to a slide show that shows my truck when it was new and stock and what it looks like now............   http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=12&uid=912505&gid=5141971&  Several members here have some trucks that are very nice looking and they've added their touch to them to make them look the way that they want them to look.  Chip......put up a picture.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:14:32 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Bagger

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 01:54:17 PM »

I'm gonna have to stick with my 2005 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel powered Ram 3500 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab ThunderRoad Dually.  Love that truck.  I used to be a Ford man.............until I saw the light and the awesome power of that Cummins Turbo Diesel.  THAT's a DAMN good engine.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »

unfortunatly,  cummings can't seem to pull there own weight, let alone a loaded trailer. I go over thr mountains in W Vir. every year pulling  my enclosed trailer with 2 big Harleys at 80 miles an hour without a problem(unless spotted by them cars with the funny gumballs on the roof)
got a 99 F350 with the 7.3,  and I love it.will pull anything and plows like crazy.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »

Harleyteam,
Do you have triple shocks on that? How much of a lift? Looks nice.

Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 03:09:29 PM »

I"m real partial to my Ford , my brother has one too.  Best vehicle I've ever owned.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »

I'm surprised that there weren't more votes for the Dodge also. The Dodge trucks have come a long way, even if the past five years, there have been great improvements. A 2500 or 3500 single rear wheel will get 20 mpg's after breakin on the hwy and 16 or 17 in town and it can get 13 to 14 mpg's pulling your 8,000 lbs. For the 07 model, not many changes except headlights and taillights, there is a big improvement in the headlight performance. Since the 06 model Dodge has changed the insulation in the cab and on the firewall and itis 20% guieter that the 05 model. The automatic trans was updated in mid 03 and very reliable. Then you need to consider the engines. The Cummings engine has a proven track record, average rebuild is in the 350,000 miles range. the 5.9 ltr engine has gone out of production as of 12-31-06 and is being replaced by a 6.7 ltr Cummings that will go to 350hp and 650 pds tq and a 100,000 mile motor warranty. This change was due to tougher emission standards The new Aisin 6 speed automatic is just now hitting the market and it drives great and pulls really well and the factory installed Jake brake, you won't be wearing out brakes so quickly and it has a 180,000 mile warranty. You owe it to yourself to at least go look at them and drive one. Everyone has different tastes and perceptions thats why all of the Big Three are still out there selling trucks. IMHO
Hobo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:29:44 PM by Hobo »
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

Bagger

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »

unfortunatly,  cummings can't seem to pull there own weight, let alone a loaded trailer. I go over thr mountains in W Vir. every year pulling  my enclosed trailer with 2 big Harleys at 80 miles an hour without a problem(unless spotted by them cars with the funny gumballs on the roof)
got a 99 F350 with the 7.3,  and I love it.will pull anything and plows like crazy.

WOW!  :o An enclosed trailer with 2 Big Harleys at 80 mph.  I'm impressed.  Especially since that feat is being done by a Ford with a diesel engine based on gasoline architecture.  Yep, that's pretty good!  You get the prize for the LARGEST load ever pulled by any American made 1T pickup.  Gotta hand it to ya.  You've set the bar pretty doggone high there Brother.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »

It ain't what's pulling any of the loads it's what stopping them!  There's no way in this freakin sue happy world that I'd put even 5000# behind a 1/2 ton truck of any make and drive it regularly.  You're just asking for a lawsuit.  Having had a 3/4 truck w/ 10K on a bumper hitch (which the truck was rated for) have the trailer brakes go out, I'm now looking at used HDT's to do serious pulling.  Overboard, yep you betcha.  But when I want to pull a grade and come DOWN the other side, I won't care if I've got wheels on the trailer, much less brakes.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 04:59:44 PM »

WOW!  :o An enclosed trailer with 2 Big Harleys at 80 mph.  I'm impressed.  Especially since that feat is being done by a Ford with a diesel engine based on gasoline architecture.  Yep, that's pretty good!  You get the prize for the LARGEST load ever pulled by any American made 1T pickup.  Gotta hand it to ya.  You've set the bar pretty doggone high there Brother.
I bet hes got Amsoil in that Ford ;D Thats why it pulls and plows like crazy ;D ;D
All kidding aside the Cummins has the most reliability and power of all small pick-ups one ton and below if you can get over the looks of Dodges >:(. Now different story ton and half and above Cat all the way.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »

Which ever make you decide, considering where you live, you'll want to get one with the block heater.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Bagger

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »

Which ever make you decide, considering where you live, you'll want to get one with the block heater.

I thought about doing that even though I live in Alabama just so I won't have to wait so long for the grid light to go out just to start the engine. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2007, 10:54:02 PM »

won't have to wait so long for the grid light to go out just to start the engine. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

If thats what you want buy the GM.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.