Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: How do you know it is time to retire?  (Read 12236 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: How do you know it is time to retire?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »

My original plan was to retire at 55, 3 years from now.  However my wife got laid off from the mortgage loan side of Banking when the housing market crashed in Feb of 08.  She could not find a good job by May so I said take the summer off we will enjoy it.  We had a blast with my schedule being work 21 days get 21 off.  So at the end of the summer we decided she would substitute teach some teach motorcycle safety a few times a year.  And that I would work until 65.  Not a bad thing as we get to do lots lot travel and I have lots of time off.

If it gets to where I hate my job, then I will retire.  However right now, working half a year is not bad, and we get to take four or five motorcycle trips a year, and such. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:26:21 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »

I will need money to live on and I do not have enough put away yet. I am 55 and will most likely need to work till 65 to have enough money to keep me up where i want to be. Fortunately for me I work for myself and I like my work, most of the time. This retirement issue is immensely personal and some want it more than others. When money is not the chief consideration the level of love or hate with the work seems pivotal.

I sure am glad I don't hate work because love it or not I still need it. I can not imagine retiring at 55? I am just to young for that. :D

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »

I am 60 and my wife and I have thought about this a little but have not made any real plans, decisions or even set a timetable yet.  We have enough for sure, but as long as where I work wants to keep paying me this much for something I really like to do I feel obligated to take their money.   

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »

Almost 58 and my wife and I have talked about retirement. As mentioned earlier each situation is different. My wife is younger than me so I plan work a little longer to maximize the retirement and she can retire early. We will sell several houses and probably stay at the lake house we love. We plan to have enough income to allow us to enjoy life and take a few trips every year. 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

Been retired for 49 days, this is definitely the best job I ever had and I had a good job the last 26 years and never really had a bad or hard job. 62.5 years old, been planning since age 35 to the day. Had counters on my cell phone for years and could not wait, it has exceeded all my expectations. BUT make sure you are planning, get a good investment guy that you trust and do what he says, I got two opinions, they were so close that I went with first guy and stayed. I did not wish to change my way of life or downsize as some do, that was why it took to 62.5. Decided years ago that I would not touch SS until 70 and then it should become trip/fun money only. I was very lucky that my employer pays my health until 66 and then all but 20% of supplemnt. SO I enjoy and recommend it to all!

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »

We own a family business. I have been semi-retired for two years. I am 54 now. I don't participate in the day to day operations but still offer guidance and counseling to those that do. I think full retirement might make me crazy. I like having something to keep my mind busy. Even if it is only a few days here and there. It is nice to be able to just get up and go when I get a wild hair to ride.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »

Is he effective?

I'm a person that believes work ethic not age makes the difference in getting the job done. I'm 67 and guarantee I can work more effective, longer and smarter than guys half my age.  I could have stayed working but since we invested in a storage facility 20 years ago and I max out in Social Security we made the decision for me to retire. My wife who is 11 years younger and much better looking than me still works part time at this point. By next year I think she too will retire its up to her.

I say if you want to retire do it, there are no do overs in life.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:25:11 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 06:30:34 PM »

I'm a person that believes work ethic not age makes the difference in getting the job done. I'm 67 and guarantee I can work more effective, longer and smarter than guys half my age.  I could have stayed working but since we invested in a storage facility 20 years ago and I max out in Social Security we made the decision for me to retire. My wife who is 11 years younger and much better looking than me still works part time at this point. By next year I think she too will retire its up to her.

I say if you want to retire do it, there are no do overs in life.

Nothing wrong with that but understand that when your health starts to decline, decision making included, you are putting the rest of the people around you at risk. I work in a high speed manufacturing plant that can literally tear away limbs, digits, and even kill people if a serious lapse in judgement is made.

Until then, work and enjoy it.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »

I agree Jesse if a person has poor health or makes bad decisions it's time to go. I come from a metal stamping/special machine and tooling background where a mistake can cost you you hand, arm even your life.  I have been in plants where people were actually flattened when 40,000 pounds of steel sheet was dropped on them. Had a customer lose an arm most of the way to his shoulder reaching into a running press around a guard on the back of a machine.  A manufacturing plant is no place for those that are not on the ball. 

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 12:02:13 AM »

I have seen so many family and friends that have retired and got so obsessed with money due to worrying about loss of income that they eventually stopped being active so they didn't need to spend money and the "slide" was fast and scary. For those of you that are race fans, watch Roger Penske this weekend. Almost 80 yrs old and works 80 hours a week and runs the most successful race team in the history of the sport involved with every single aspect and detail of that team. Listen to him talk in the multitude of interviews he will be doing this weekend and he is as sharp as any 20 yr old (not that I have met many sharp 20yr olds but to make the point..) you will ever see. A guy like that who is one of the wealthiest guys on the planet certainly doesn't do it for the money. IMHO very inspiring..
Alan

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »

That's why he still works, he loves what he does. I've never been at a job like that so I'm gone when it's feasible.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 12:53:19 AM »

That's why he still works, he loves what he does. I've never been at a job like that so I'm gone when it's feasible.
I agree with that but I guarantee he doesn't love every day. I don't want to be "Polly Anna" but as I tell people I work with, every job has its good days and bad days/good aspects and bad aspects but if you are challenged and win more than you lose, why stop until you either lose your effectiveness or you start losing more than your winning.
Alan

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »

I agree with that but I guarantee he doesn't love every day. I don't want to be "Polly Anna" but as I tell people I work with, every job has its good days and bad days/good aspects and bad aspects but if you are challenged and win more than you lose, why stop until you either lose your effectiveness or you start losing more than your winning.
I can agree with that. I have a lot more good days than bad but making steel quick open ends just doesn't get me feeling to accomplished. At least until I get my next check lol.

Jesse

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »

I can agree with that. I have a lot more good days than bad but making steel quick open ends just doesn't get me feeling to accomplished. At least until I get my next check lol.

Jesse
I get it. Today I definitely "lost"..
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »

I agree 100% Alan.  And oh.....by the way.....I'm loosing my effectiveness so retirement is looking real good right about now.  :bananarock:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 21 queries.