Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Are we all old "Old Folks"???  (Read 14075 times)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
Are we all old "Old Folks"???
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »

Reading the retirement thread i realized I am not in the minority here when it comes to senior citizen status. Hanging at the local Harley dealership I have made jokes about being the youngster at 54. I then noticed that the Daytona Bike week was dominated by the "older crowd". What gives? I am thinking it might have to do with being able to afford a 20K plus toy. I will freely admit that in my thirties a 25K bike and the time to ride it were not likely to happen. Mostly due to work.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Are we all old "Old Folks"???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

I agree with what you said.  Although I got my first HD when I was 18 (got a good price b/c the engine needed a complete rebuild), there were many years when I was raising 4 kids that I couldn't justify spending that much on something I couldn't spend time on, so I made do with some metric bikes (all of them great fun, but not the real thing).

I think that cost is a big reason HD came out with the Street 500 and 750, to try to bring younger people on a tight budget into the fold so they'll buy a full-size model later.  Otherwise, HD's customer base is just going to die off and HD sales will go through the floor.  That's also the reason for a factory trike, to keep more seniors riding and of course buying parts, service, and accessories.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »

So true DoubleCoppers.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:13:36 AM »

I'm only 40. I bought my CVO in 2012 right after my 38th. I had a 09 FLHX that I bought new in 09 prior to that. My wife and I have 3 kids, 2 are still in high school and the other is living in her own but we are helping her get her feet planted.

I still manage to get 9-11k a riding season and that's usually from May to October here.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »

I'm 63 got my first CVO @ 62 which was my first bike since 1969
Got my second real CVO this year
been looking at the articles regarding our choices to start receiving SS which is putting the hole age thing into perspective.
still feel like 59 thou!
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »

I've been retired for 5 years now, so I'm 67. I used to think that was old, but I realize that is not true. As this month ends I'm getting ready to start my riding season, I should call it my traveling season. Next week Ribfest and then off to Ouray and on to CA. Traveling I-10 to get back home.
I don't know too many youngsters that can make that kind of trip, for whatever reason..
So I guess you're only as old as you feel.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »

I’m definitely in the senior citizen category, turning 62 today as a matter of fact, although I’m not feeling particularly old. I couldn’t have purchased a CVO when I was younger due to cost when raising a family, but I’ve had bikes for many years. When I got married in the mid-seventies my spouse didn’t think riding was a good idea, so I sold what I had at the time, a 750 Norton Commando. Later, still having the desire to ride, I started looking for another bike – ended up without a wife before it was done and still think I got the best of the deal, even with the significant loss of assets. When I purchased my CVO the plan was for this to be my last new motorcycle purchase – I’d mod it and ride until I decided to give it up for good. I don’t know if I’ll stick with that plan in the end result. It seems to me that older riders were always fairly prominent at events I attended over the years. I figured they had more time/income than younger people with families to support.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:39 AM »

Well  :2vrolijk_06: Kiro.  Personally, I like the more mature crowd. Less BS is always a good thing. ;D

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »

Lord willing, I'll hit 54 this year....just a whipper snapper compared to some, older than dirt compared to others.  Mike making the trek across this great country at 67 shows it's not the age that gets us, it's the idea of the age that can effect us.  If you don't ever think about it and stay in halfway decent shape, 90 won't be old to you... :2vrolijk_21:

I've had some kind of two wheeled transportation most of my adult life.  There are some brief stints where I "took a break" but riding has always been in the blood.  Bought my first HD ('89 Classic) when I turned 31 (used but still pricey at the time) but it was no where near my first bike and, obviously, not my last one.  I do think age/income has something to do with having a $20K to $40K or more extra vehicle sitting in the garage but there are exceptions to every rule.  Still, you don't see many younger individuals on the CVO's (Jesse and a few others being the exceptions... ;D )
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:26:59 PM by Haird »

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »

I wanna be an exception too. hahaha, I just turned 40 last week hahaha. got my CVO at 35 and my RKC (1st HD) at 27. I think its mostly the passion for riding. most ppl just get into it as a fad or to go to bike nights and look cool which is one reason for what the younger riders are doing(at least most that I know). Most just zip across town and hang out. I also think that HD has waited to long to try and attract a younger rider on a limited income. HD really missed to boat with the "Street" It should be priced lower (by atleast a third) instead of being so close to a Sportster MSRP.  Most cant afford spending 20K or more on a bar hopper/weekend toy that will get sold in a yr or two. At 28 I was serious about riding, 15k a year between work and trips and I was busting my a$$ to get my first HD a beautiful 03 RKC in gunmetal pearl, heck it was the first new thing to ever sit in the driveway.(funny the only new things to sit in my driveway are motorcycles to this day). I still kept my 01 Shadow for a year after the RK came home. I think that the spirit of the riding the open road is aging herself and we as the "Older Riders, pavement pounders, mile eaters, crazy ol farts" need to inspire the younger riders to get unpluged and get some miles under them and see the beauty of this country before we are surrounded by bar hoppers and t-shirt wearer asking us "old guys" to tell stories of riding coast to coast, or doing 800 miles just to get a cheese burger because we heard they had the best cheese burgers and milk shakes or the time we left the house in the rain on the bike to get lunch an hour away just because we hadn't been riding in a week and we had the time then. hahahaha
Or maybe I am just a Crazy ol fart in a younger body hahaha
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

64.....or is it 65?  Who ever is supposed to be keepin track will let me know.   Actually, I'm 22 yrs. old trapped in an old man's body!  :bananarock:

Been riding CVOs since late 2003.  The 04 SEEG was my first, then a 10 SESG and now a 13 SEUC.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »

I bought my first Harley in 1975. It was an Iron Head Sportster. Since then I have had Flat Heads, Pan Heads, Shovel Heads, Evo's and Twin Cams. I have had over 35 bikes and have had as many as 9 CVO's in the shop at one time. Since I bought my first CVO in 2002 I have had non CVO models, but have always owned at least 1 CVO. I'm not sure why. I guess you don't go out on the road and see them everywhere except a CVO GTG!!! I'm sure the reason we don't see the younger crowd on a CVO is the cost factor. BTW I am 61 and Retired and loving life!!!!

Even though we have the problems we have with our Harley's I don't know anything else. It's kinda like a badddd habit. But I like that badddd habit!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:29:39 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »

22! daammn!

I'm still working on the comfort thing, change a little of this add a little of that
and maybe I will get 6 or 7 thousand miles in a year once I get that right fit

next month I will have been back on a bike since 1975" for a year
and I think maybe I've logged about  1500 miles between the 2 CVO's
Damn Job! always keeping me from doing more!

now where is that damn winning lottery ticket I had!  :P
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »

I've been retired for 5 years now, so I'm 67. I used to think that was old, but I realize that is not true. As this month ends I'm getting ready to start my riding season, I should call it my traveling season. Next week Ribfest and then off to Ouray and on to CA. Traveling I-10 to get back home.
I don't know too many youngsters that can make that kind of trip, for whatever reason..
So I guess you're only as old as you feel.
Mike
 :drink:

You, sir, are a blessed man. Safe travels. This is exactly my goal. Stay healthy and retire followed by traveling the world on my bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mark

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »

It's a matter of demographics.  The baby boomers, that starting buying Harleys in the late 80s/early 90s, are aging away and there are not enough to Generation Xers to replace us. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.