Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Resurection Down  (Read 5888 times)

Resurecton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Resurection Down
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »

I never  thought I would have to write  this post about myself, but sometimes, it happens.  I was riding in a group ride, Run for the Wall, which travels yearly from LA to DC in 10 days on a mission to bring attention to  veterans, and veterans issues.  While in the middle of one of the groups, I lost control of the bike near Tyler TX on Sunday morning the 17th of May.  I left the road and onto the tall grassy center median where I slowed from freeway speed to about 20 before I laid  it down.  I was riding 2 up at the time.  We both flew, skidded to a stop in the tall wet grass.  This large group had people  attending us almost instantly.   We were transported  to Tyler ER.  For me, concussion but nothing broken.   For my passenger, Sandy, not quite so good.  Concussion  for her, too, but also a broken clavicle  (collar bone) and a couple of other lesser injuries.  This occurred  as I said, in Tyler TX  on Sunday.   After escaping the ER, me clad in trou and a t-shirt  I pulled back out of the trash can where they tossed it after they cut it off me with scissors her in only 1 hospital  gown and her boots, we spent the night in the nearest motel. 

The story goes on, and I would like to share it, but for now, I must sleep.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Resurection Down
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »

just glad to here your resting. instead of suffering or worse!! :1112:

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.   I hope you both heal well .... although you both sustained some considerable damage, you both are very lucky to be alive ...     good luck

Dave
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »

Sorry to see this. Thankful that it wasn't worse for either of you. Hope you both heal quickly.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »

Glad you are both okay for the most part!! I pray you heal quickly and completely!

Rob

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »

I'm really sorry to hear that Wayne.  If there's anything you need me to do for you here in San Diego, just let me know.

I think you still have my cell.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 05:49:23 AM »

Sorry to hear this kind of bad news. I am very glad you are able to tell us about it and the both of you were able to walk away!!!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:56:10 AM »

I hope the both of you Get Well Soon.
DND

Resurecton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:13:02 AM »

I have a   question  about what happens  when the Insurance company totals the bike is.   Hasn't happened yet,but if  it does, how do I retain the grades if installed?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:56:14 AM »

Not sure who your Insurance Company is, but most buy the bike back as is. Under some policies you have coverage for some upgrades. I think mine is $1500.00 anything after that is not covered unless I do the increase in Insurance.

Glad you and you BSR are Ok. Just remember, the bike can always be replaced.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »

Wayne the insurance company will usually not tell you but you have first buy back rights to your bike and it's usually a pretty low figure.....even if buying it back just to part it out, you'll come out ahead.  You just have to communicate to them as soon as they mention "totaled" that you want to buy it back and repeat that every time you talk to them. 

On the other side, you don't want them low balling you.  Use the Nada guide to find out what it's really worth to you and don't let them go below that figure.  It may come to push and shove but they'll usually step up to the true value before they'll go to court over another grand or two. 

Make sure they have the frame and neck bearing cup checked.  Almost any accident where the front end took any kind of hard bump or hit will usually find the neck cup out of round or the frame itself bent.

Just some suggestions with experiences I've had in that area.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

Sorry for your misfortune, Wayne.  I can't speak for Texas but in California if the insurance company declares your bike a total loss, they must give you both options, totaled value and salvage.  If the bike is totaled and your accessories are not covered, take them off, assuming you have access to the bike.  If the accessories are not covered, they are not included in the price the insurance company pays you and thus, the company is not entitled to them.

While NADA is relevant to the value web sites which give recent actual sales of similar bikes are more relevant.  EBay, Cycle Trader, etc.  Also, you may get an appraisal from your dealer.  Get your service records and pictures.  All of this is relevant to the ultimate price.  Good luck! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Resurecton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »

Thanks for the info.  There just a bunch of small stuff, (and some bigger ones) that it Jist doesn't make sense to loose to salvage, then go out and buy again.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »

I am glad to hear you are both OK. I am sure it shook you both up! I have never had to make a claim on the bikes but I have fought for the value of older cars I had in the past. If you find comps (Craig's list etc.) and use all the internet value sites you will know what the value is. It was a bit of a pain but armed with facts you can usually get most for your vehicle. The hardest part is getting your emotional value out of the equation.     

Resurecton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »

Good advice and I thank you.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »

sorry to hear about the misfortune. especially on an event such as Rolling Thunder. I'm glad you both are still here to tell about it. Give thanks to the Lord for that. praying for healing & comfort for both of you. good luck with the bike issues.         :angel:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »

In 2004 I hit a deer with my 2004 O/B SEEG on I 90 while traveling thru South Dakota.  I had the cruise set at 80 mph, so needless to say the bike was totaled.  The bike was only 3 months old and had just over 5000 miles on it.   I had Progressive Insurance - I don't know if all insurance companies work the same.  I got the bike home before I called the insurance company.  An adjuster came to my house and took one look at the bike and declared it was totaled.  I had the option of buying the wreck, but because the motor and transmission were intact, the price for the wreck was far more than I felt it was worth to me.  So I let it go.  The adjuster suggested to me that I might want to remove any add on parts from the bike.  I removed everything I felt I would use again, including the tuner.  The adjuster gave me a couple of days to do this work and then sent a flat bed to retrieve the bike.  The crash happened on a Sunday.  The following Friday the adjuster hand delivered a check for 500 more than I had paid (I paid msrp with zero add-on fees).  I didn't question how he came up with a value above msrp - I just thanked him for the check and we parted company.  One week later I found another brand new 2004 O/B SEEG, for which I also paid MSRP with no fees.  The unexpected part of the experience is when I contacted Progressive to insure the new bike, they simply took the information (vin and such) and sent me a new insurance card - no bill.  I had paid for a year's worth of insurance on the crashed bike.  I assumed because the bike was totaled and they paid the claim to the tune of $30,500.00 that I would need to start over with a completely new policy.  But that isn't how it worked.  I paid nothing and had 9 months of insurance remaining from the original policy.  To this day I don't know if that is how it is supposed to work, but it's how it worked in my case.

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »

So how did you crash your bike?

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »

So how did you crash your bike?

He put it in the first post of this thread. He lost control of it and decided to lay it down rather than try and ride through it.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

I got that. But how exactly do you lose control?  Tire explode, rock, oncoming vehicle in you lane, e. g. There's has to be a reason.

He put it in the first post of this thread. He lost control of it and decided to lay it down rather than try and ride through it.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »

Oh... now that I have slept I get what you were asking. Good question. It doesn't say what caused the loss of control.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.