Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: which oil to use  (Read 5646 times)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

which oil to use
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »

I'm ready for the 5000 mile maintenance on my 2014 ultra limited. It came with Dino oil in it, so, do I stay with that or can I switch to syn? I realize this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I've always used Amsoil in my other bikes, without issues, and the dealer I bought it from recommends staying with Dino oil, so what do I do?   :nixweiss:
RayZ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: which oil to use
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »

Ray, IMHO you are better served using a good synthetic, like Amsoil, if that's what you prefer.  Sadly, the last place to go for informed recommendations is your Harley dealer, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they said.

Long before Harley even considered selling or recommending synthetics, and before Mobil 1 and others started offering a V-Twin version of their products, I was running the automotive 15w50 Mobil 1 in my bike based on what I know about lubricants.  The only thing that's changed is that now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and come out with V-Twin labeled products, and sold them for higher prices.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »

I agree with Jerry...........as usual. You are much better off with a GOOD syn. I used Mobile 1 back in the Shovel days when the MoCo said NO SYN. They were still saying NO SYN until they came out with their own. I have never had a oil related failure, so why switch. 15-50 Mobile 1 CAR oil.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »

Sad that the person at the dealership told you this. He is probably not speaking for the COMPLETE dealer, only for himself. But regardless, sad he is so misinformed and attempting to influence someone.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »

Ray, IMHO you are better served using a good synthetic, like Amsoil, if that's what you prefer.  Sadly, the last place to go for informed recommendations is your Harley dealer, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they said.

Long before Harley even considered selling or recommending synthetics, and before Mobil 1 and others started offering a V-Twin version of their products, I was running the automotive 15w50 Mobil 1 in my bike based on what I know about lubricants.  The only thing that's changed is that now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and come out with V-Twin labeled products, and sold them for higher prices.

Jerry
Jerry, just installed my new 124 and the tech that did the work prefers Amsoil but I already have 2 cases of Redline 20-60. I figure not really a diff between the 2?
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »

Jerry, just installed my new 124 and the tech that did the work prefers Amsoil but I already have 2 cases of Redline 20-60. I figure not really a diff between the 2?

I've never come across a technical comparison of the two products, but I'd assume the Redline would be fine.  In hot climates where you might want a 60 weight, I think I'd rather have the 20w60 versus a straight 60, so your choice would be appropriate.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »

Getting advice at a dealer can be a crapshoot. You always wonder if the guy dispersing wisdom has a basis of knowledge - or is he just repeating rumors.  A brief list of some wisdom dispersed:

-In 2015 all the CVOs are hand assembled in York.
-Syn oil is too slippery.
-Don't leave your cruise control switch on or it will burn up.
-Service desk didn't know the difference between ECM plug and the aulixiliary plug.
-Factory employee at Bike Week suggested removing the baffles from stock SE mufflers.
-The 110 lifter problems are just internet rumors.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

Getting advice at a dealer can be a crapshoot.
-Service desk didn't know the difference between ECM plug and the aulixiliary plug.
-The 110 lifter problems are just internet rumors.
-Tech didn't know the difference between the seat heater plug and the auxiliary plug (seat plug always has power; aux plug controlled by aux switch).
-Service manager never heard of lifter problems on 110 (then I reminded him of 2 previous 110s that had lifter blowouts, and he knows both of those customers very well)   :oops:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

themooser98

• The Moose is Loose
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

Been using Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic, pick up at Advanced Auto when it goes on sale.
Don't steal, don't lie and don't cheat. The government hates competition!

Harley88

• Harley 88
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NV

• CVO1: 07 blue
    • CVO2: 13 sliver
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 06:02:17 PM »

Amsoil

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »

Just tried this Valvoline VR1 20/50 Racing non synthetic. I cant believe how much quieter my engine sounds. What a huge difference.  I will change it more frequently but totally worth it to get rid of all that ticking. Love it so far. And its way cheaper that syn.    :nervous: :vrolijk27:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:20:08 PM by CVO2FIXUP »
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »

i don't have the longevity experience jerry has, but i had been using mobil 1 car oil 15w-50 in my bike for several years as well.  the only reason i stopped is that i can no longer find it anywhere around here.  especially for the price i used to pay.  could get it from walmart for $27 for a 5 qt jug.  sure beats $15 qt......  :2vrolijk_21:

funny, as this is what i've been running for the last couple of years.  yes, it gets hot here in la.  in the middle of summer, my oil pressure doesn't drop as low as it did with the 20w-50.  and damn, i do hate spending the $15 (per).....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:34:26 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »

I've used AMSoil in all my Harleys and wouldn't use anything else.  They make a primary oil now, and I like the 75-90 severe gear in the tranny.  Have used it in all my previous Harleys as well, and would highly recommend it.  Really quiets the tranny down and smooths the shifting.  They don't recommend it if all you ever do is make short trips, but if you like weekend rides, etc, I think you could do worse. 
As far as making the switch to full synthetic, the sooner the better with a new engine is what I've always heard.  I don't think I'd wait until the 10k checkup to do it, but that's just me talking.  Seems to me I switched to synth at the 5k mark in one of my bikes without any hiccups.
Do some on-line research first to satisfy yourself.  Heck, call or write AMS oil and get their opinion.  Or call any reputable synth oil manufacturer, and ask them too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:15:11 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »

so what do I do?

Find a dealer that's not still stuck in the 50's..........
2015 CVO Road Glide

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »

I've used AMSoil in all my Harleys and wouldn't use anything else.  They make a primary oil now, and I like the 75-90 severe gear in the tranny.  Have used it in all my previous Harleys as well, and would highly recommend it.  Really quiets the tranny down and smooths the shifting.  They don't recommend it if all you ever do is make short trips, but if you like weekend rides, etc, I think you could do worse. 
As far as making the switch to full synthetic, the sooner the better with a new engine is what I've always heard.  I don't think I'd wait until the 10k checkup to do it, but that's just me talking.  Seems to me I switched to synth at the 5k mark in one of my bikes without any hiccups.
Do some on-line research first to satisfy yourself.  Heck, call or write AMS oil and get their opinion.  Or call any reputable synth oil manufacturer, and ask them too.

Just curious. What do they not recommend the product for short trips?

Thanks,
Jason
2015 CVO Limited
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 21 queries.