Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on losing a wife...Gerri's story.  (Read 5819 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Thoughts on losing a wife...Gerri's story.
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

I was married to Gerri for almost 22 years.  We couldn't have kids, but we did have each other.  We kept finding ways to re-invent our marriage, but the biggest boost to our marriage was when we started riding together.
I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, but then like many guys, I drifted away from the sport after marrying and starting a career.  Then one day I had a chance to buy a mint condition CB750 with a Windjammer fairing (I loved Windjammers when I was a kid!).  I talked it over with her and I told her I just had to see if I still had it in me.  Long story short...I did.  And she fell in love with it, too.  Just a few years later, we bought our first Harley, a 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic.  I swear that girl loved that bike more than I did.  Heck, she was responsible for most of the chrome on it, joking that it was her favorite color.  We put almost 40k miles on that bike across 11 states over the next few years.
Then Gerri's stepdad died in early 2010 from a bad illness.  It was shortly after that she told me she didn't want to die from some sickness in a hospital bed somewhere.  She said and I quote "I want to go out in a blaze of glory on that bike when it's my time".  Less than 6 months later, the Lord took Gerri home, exactly the way she had asked. 
We were coming back home from a Hog Rally in Hot Springs, Arkansas when we hit a deer.  There was no rhyme or reason for it.  It was on August 1st around noon, and it was already almost 100 degrees out.  Any deer in his/her right mind would be bedded down till evening, but not this one. 
The trees were close to the road there...within 10 feet or so.  I never saw the deer and I can't remember the accident to this day.  The two couples that were behind us told me later that the deer leaped out from the woods to land directly in front of me and as soon as she landed, I hit her broadside.  I couldn't have been doing more than 50 or so, because we were coming out of a turn.
They airlifted Gerri to Little Rock and while I was waiting on my helicopter to take me there as well, they returned.  She had arrested in flight and they could not save her.  They think she ruptured a spleen or some other internal organ and bled out internally.  She just went to sleep.
My last words to her as they took her from our ambulance were "I love you and I'll see you soon!"  At least we shared a final "I love you".  I didn't have to watch her life slip away from her, and she didn't have to watch me suffer as I tried to heal afterwards.  My new wife had to watch her strong husband wither and die from a horrible cancer and its complications.  She had it worse than I did, in the end.
Everyone at the accident site thought I would be the one to die and not her.  I had 5 broken bones, was spurting blood from a hole in my cheek, and had numerous cuts and deep abrasions in addition to losing my front teeth and shearing off the end of my left elbow.  I spent 4 months in rehab after that.  My left hip hurts every day and my left elbow hurts when I ride, but to heck with that.  Riding's where it's at for me.
I've learned to live with it over time believing it was God's timing and He needed her to come on Home.  There's no use arguing with Him or hating Him.  When it's your time, well...you know the drill.  The anger and hatred serves no purpose, but you go through it.  Death is a matter of perspective in many ways.  It can conquer you and ruin you if you want it to, or it can strengthen you if you'll reach out and take His hand.  He helped me through the worst time of my life and I knew he would do exactly that.  I had a Christian counselor that told me I needed to get back in the saddle as soon as I could.  Told me that Gerri would be so sad to think I had given up my second greatest love because of that accident.  Told me it would help me heal and strengthen and grow.  And she was right.  I'm still scared at times, especially when I see a deer out in front of me or I ride through dense forests, but I'm still riding, and in the end, that's what counts.
This August 1st will be the 5th anniversary of me losing Gerri, and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her, but most especially when I'm on the bike.  My new wife now of almost two years lost her husband to cancer.  We met at church and dated for over a year before tying the knot.  She loves to ride also (her late husband owned a Heritage).  She's got more Harley apparel and jewelry than the MOCO, and she and the Good Lord has helped me to heal.  I'm blessed again!
The pain never goes away, but time makes it less shocking and severe.  I was lucky and blessed to have such a great wife and backseater as Gerri.  I still love you, girl.  Thanks for riding with me.   
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: Thoughts on losing a wife...Gerri's story.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »

Very sorry for your loss. I gave up my bike (amongst other things) when I got married and started a business of my own. As our kids got older we decided to buy a bike to see if we still liked it and could handle it. Much like your Gerri, my wife Robin loves the bike and to travel. I swear she wants to ride more than I do. My biggest worry is always what's around the next corner.... an idiot driver, a patch of sand, a deer, etc. I am very sorry this happened to you and Gerri. May God continue to guide your path and keep you strong
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »

Nicely said...
Bill

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »

I am sorry for your loss, and glad you found your current wife at the same time.

I too lost my first wife to colon cancer some 10 years ago when she was 45 years old. Like you, God answered some long hard prayers during my year alone after Karen passed. I can tell you that your memories will never fade and you'll have good days and bad days, but the bad ones become fewer and fewer with time. I would say to you that you now have two Loves and each one are completely different and neither replaces the other.

You've received a second blessing with the second wife and while not trying to sound corny, make each moment count. You and I as well as some other men have a unique view of our wives that others don't have. I hope you never forget the good moments with Geri, but I also hope you make even more good moments with your current wife. My wife Alesia and I never miss a moment to take a ride together, or do the simplest of things others would frown at together.

Be Blessed
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:21 AM »

To Doublerunner, Muddypaws, and Gadgetz:

Thank you gentlemen.  You know, some folks would take my post as me looking for sympathy or attention, but I stopped looking for or needing sympathy several years ago, especially hollow sympathy.  True sympathy comes from the heart and is easy to pick out from all other comments.  Clearly you gentlemen understand that. 
I can assure you and any future readers of this post that it was not my desire to draw attention to myself.  Rather, this post was more about honoring my deceased wife, which I try to never miss an opportunity to do.  And, I was honoring a true motorcycling enthusiast in the process.  She never drove her own bike, but she was an awesome backseater, and she was a lover of and ambassador for the sport.  That gal changed when she was around or on a Harley.  She came alive.  She even had a little bit of the rebel in her during those times, and it was fun to watch.  She endured many hardships on the road with me, but still it was her favorite pastime. 
With all that being said, my hope is that couples out there will take a deeper look at the significant other in their lives and work hard to refresh and renew what they have with each other.  Keep re-inventing your marriage.  Keep it fresh.  Sharing motorcycling and the call of the open road is one of the best ways I know to do that.  You're forced into each other's company and you go through the hardships as a team, making memories that will make you smile for the rest of your days.

One final note:  I found out that dating and then marrying someone who lost her spouse was the best therapy for both of us, and was clearly God's wisdom in our lives.  Because you see we understood!  We knew better than anybody else out there what it's like to lose a spouse that we loved and had wanted to grow old with.
Thank you for your hearts and your comments, guys.  I would love to meet you out on the road one day.

Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:45:05 AM »

Great story... Ialso believe there is a greater plan for all of us, though kinda hard to identify at times and seems almost impossible to understand, but there is only one way our paths will take us...

It's great that the memory is still there and alive and that you found love again... Peace to both of you... :2vrolijk_21:

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »

RGlideKid,  Thank you for sharing your story.  It is great that you have such great memories of your time with Gerri.  It is also great that God blessed you with a new bride that also loves to ride.
My wife (of 37 years) and I often discuss the memories we create together each time we venture out on the scooter.  Like you, we have stories of those awesome days when everything is perfect... and then there are those days, when it is scorching hot, pouring down rain, or bitter cold.... All memories, none the less. 

Thank you also for telling us your testimony of how God has carried you through and sustained you.  We often see believers shrink back from talking about their relationship with our Lord and what He has done for us.  Thank you for telling and, perhaps, showing someone else the hope that they can also have.

God Bless,
LRebel

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

RGlideKid,

Terrific tribute!    :2vrolijk_21:  it's also a wonderful reminder I'll precious life is and how lucky we all are.    :2vrolijk_21:   Thanks for sharing.   

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »

RGlide, that was a wonderful tribute to Gerri.  She's in the presence of the Father where all those of us that know Jesus as their Lord and Savior will be someday.  It will be an honor to stand beside her and you singing praises to Him for eternity. 

When He closes a door, He opens a window.  Such a blessing you found another person to heal, love and share life with.  That doesn't detract from your time with Gerri, only enforces His healing power and mercy for y'all.  May the Lord continue to bless and keep you both.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »

God Bless Gerri, May she rest in peace.
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »

Just saw this by Henry Scott Holland, University of Oxford.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »

So sorry for your loss..
 I can't even imagine what it would be like, my wife and I have been almost constant companions for
32 years, no days we even work the same place. The bike rides would be the one of the toughest parts as those that know us know that I rarely
ride without her on the back. Riding is one thing that we truely enjoy doing together.

Your story is inspiring and thought provoking, thanks.......
2015 CVO Road Glide

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »

Thank you again, one and all.  I did not expect all these wonderful and kind words, and each of you has touched my heart.  Yes, I am a believer in Jesus Christ and He is my Lord and Savior, as He was Gerri's also.  Probably the biggest comfort I have had over the years is knowing that she is with Him, as some of you have said.  I don't know how I could have stood it or even made it through if I didn't have that comfort and knowledge.
The Lord tests me every day it seems, temptations and challenges, but never more that on that hot August day and then in the long lonely months that followed.  But He was faithful and carried me through it all.  I did nothing but just try to hang in there, and listen for His voice.  He did the rest and deserves all the credit and glory.
I pray that God Blesses each and every one of you and your spouses and families.  And not just while you're on the road, but especially during the trying times that are sure to come upon this nation in the near future.
Harry

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »

A very well written and emotional tribute. My condolences.
And yet congratulations on your new life

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »

Harry thanks for sharing. I'll pray for the great testament that you are living!

BigLew
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.