Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad Vibrations after S&S 585 gear Drive Cam upgrade  (Read 1712 times)

2010-CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

Bad Vibrations after S&S 585 gear Drive Cam upgrade
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »

Hi-  Mike from Boston here.  Purchased a 2010 FLSTSE with 3K this spring. Upgraded the pipes to S&S @ Daytona Bike week.   LOVED the Bike. 

Got home upgrade the cam S&S 585 Gear Drive and added a HD race tuner.  Had a real professional do the work.  Run out of the crank was good at install like .002 or what it should be.  First tune had a lot of chatter on the throttle at low speeds and heavy rear vibration above 2,800 rpm.   Second tune advanced the timing to close to pre-detonation cleaned up the low speed throttle chatter , but vibrations still very heavy.  Numbing at speeds over 80 (3,800 rpm).  Seems to get worse as the day goes or maybe I just can't take it after a few hours. Noticed my oil temp runs at 268 on 70-85 degree days after riding (what's yours top out at?)

Brought it to a second professional engine builder.  He didn't agree there was anything wrong but he only took it for a 15 minute hot ride.,  But we changed the plugs, ran Lucas straight 50 weight, and re-mapped the bike again.  Turning back on the O2 sensors at normal riding ranges. I have not seen any improvement to vibration, seemed to add back a small bit of the low speed throttle chatter and more occasional spitting backfire.

I need to log some more miles to keep monitoring it.   A HD mechanic recommended next step is to open up the cam and check the run out again, also to check the cam backpressure plate to be sure oil pressure is good at idle (which isn't really my issue), and also recommended checking the belt auto tensioner.

Lost in Boston.  Or close to heart broken.  Love everything about the bike just want the smooth ride back.

Dealing with the Daymaker headlight vibration now too.    (never had this luck with my 02 Fatboy.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:51:06 AM by 2010-CVO »

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
Re: Bad Vibrations after S&S 585 gear Drive Cam upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

just a thought, during a recent ride i noticed a vibration in my floor boards at higher rpm's when down shifting or passing cars,i remembered reading floor board vibration is a possible sigh of wheel balance.the weight's were still in place but my front tire pressure was at 19 lbs.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.