Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch went South  (Read 4048 times)

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
Clutch went South
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:05:38 PM »

well,...
  decided to go for a ride on my 15' CVO SG ... and when l went to start the bike and pull in the clutch ... it was mushy like no resistance ... l squeezed the lever a few times and felt it coming back ... was able to start it and put it in gear but friction zone was almost touching the grip ... so l called the dealer to get me in and do the bag recall and see whats up with clutch ... hung around dealer and waited for it ... service writer said they bleed the clutch ... it felt right like it was suppose to be .. if it happens again ... they would have to order and change out the clutch reservoir ....anyone else have a problem ... this was the first in-state Carbon Crystal to hit the floor in April ... bike only has 388 miles on it ... this was about 2 weeks ago ...

update ... l also have a 15' SGS with 35 miles on it ...bought it end of may ... today went to take it for a ride and guess what ... no clutch ... guess there's another problem and recall heading Harley's way ...

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Clutch went South
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:48:19 AM »

There are (I think) now THREE separate clutch recalls on the Rushmore bikes. Can we assume that the dealer checked for these against your VIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:41:19 AM »

well,...
  decided to go for a ride on my 15' CVO SG ... and when l went to start the bike and pull in the clutch ... it was mushy like no resistance ... l squeezed the lever a few times and felt it coming back ... was able to start it and put it in gear but friction zone was almost touching the grip ... so l called the dealer to get me in and do the bag recall and see whats up with clutch ... hung around dealer and waited for it ... service writer said they bleed the clutch ... it felt right like it was suppose to be .. if it happens again ... they would have to order and change out the clutch reservoir ....anyone else have a problem ... this was the first in-state Carbon Crystal to hit the floor in April ... bike only has 388 miles on it ... this was about 2 weeks ago ...

update ... l also have a 15' SGS with 35 miles on it ...bought it end of may ... today went to take it for a ride and guess what ... no clutch ... guess there's another problem and recall heading Harley's way ...

There are three recalls on the Rushed More bikes for defective hydraulic clutch master cylinders.  Your dealer should have been bright enough to connect the dots, but obviously not.  Do not trust that just bleeding the system will be the answer, and don't wait until you have no clutch when you're out riding somewhere.  Strange how they never wonder how the air got into the closed hydraulic system.  If the clutch was good initially and suddenly developed a severe problem, unless there is a leak in the system (or a chemical reaction with the fluid which is covered by one of the recalls), how did they think the problem came about?  I'm sorry, I guess it's too much to expect people making a living doing this stuff to actually be able to think and reason.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »

l agree,... l did ask if there was anything attached to the vin# .. , they checked the system and said the cvo was just the bags,... same for the SGS ...l will keep a closer eye on the clutches to see if it re-develops...

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

You can't fully trust the VIN #s for the recall, My '06 Z06 was out of the VIN# for recall for the roof panel delamination, in spite of me always having a door / window open when I shut the rear hatch it came loose anyway, it ended up being repaired under the recall.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »

And the next big aftermarket item will be a cable operated clutch that actually works to replace the POS hydraulic unit!!!
You'll have to eat the tab for that too!
 WOW, where this sh...t going to end? Is it going to take several deaths on the highways and a law suit to smarten HD up?  twinotter

covgrt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:19 PM »

There are (I think) now THREE separate clutch recalls on the Rushmore bikes. Can we assume that the dealer checked for these against your VIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had one clutch mastercylinder recall what are the others

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »

I had one clutch mastercylinder recall what are the others

NHTSA Campaign Number       H-D Recall Number
       13V515                                         0153                    early 2014 Models
       14V537                                         0159                    2014/2015 Models
       15V216                                         0165                    2014/2015 Models

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

covgrt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »

Thanks jerry

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »

well,...
 it's official,... dealer called today to say that MoCo has extended the clutch recall on the 2015's ... and that both my special and the cvo street glide's now have open recall for the clutch which they will be doing the reservoir rebuild kit....went into garage when he called me and yes, the clutch that was bleed last month on the cvo is completely dead ... no resistance at all ... so there it is ......

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

Did you get a recall on your clutch? I got a notice for my 2015 RG Special. Taking it in this week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
- Renay

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• Cycle adventures
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »

You would think that Harley could get the clutch right

- Renay

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »

yes,...after the recall was performed by the dealer ... the notices arrived in the mail 2 weeks later ...

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• Cycle adventures
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »

I have my 15 RG Special in today for clutch replacement.

- Renay

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.