Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Still have a misfire and poor throttle response after fuel controller  (Read 14386 times)

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Re: Still have a misfire and poor throttle response after fuel controller
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »

Never saw that before.   So,  I have the entire intake off the bike,  sprayed intake runner cleaner in around everything, wiped it down and cleaned it all up.  air blasted the filter, etc.   while she sits now,  with everything off,  it works like a charm,  it started and raised the idle right away,  and the idle stayed there.   I let it sit for 3 or 4 min running like that then cracked the throttle.  down to 1000.  I played with the low idle screw that goes to the cables,  and never touched the high rpm.   It idled for 15 mins no issue.  Funny thing is as I was screwing in the low idle screw,  it would reduce the idle instead of what I thought it would do.  backed it off and bammo.  idled around 950,  I would like it a little higher as I am not a purist and care not if I have potato or not.  but it sat and idled happily.  Now,  cracking the throttle sounded and felt "crisper" as well.  There was still a little stumble but nothing like before.  Could my filter be REALLY CLOGGED?   I can see some light through it but I am not sure how much I would see with a new one.  Next up is swap my plug wires and go for a run.   if that does not cure it,  I am going to sit,  and add some fuel through the PCIII on the low end.
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

Oh,  BTW,  what is the hose that goes from the bottom of the intake backing plate,  to the little chorme tube that seems to be connected to the heads?
Mavericks RC
MFFM

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

Remember I mentioned a "squeak" noise from my motor.   Well I have a video of it now.  I will figure out how to post it after.   You can hear it,  It sounds like a glitch in the video but its the motor make that noise.  and it sounds like it came from the front cyl through the intake.
Mavericks RC
MFFM

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »

Well,  after getting everything put back together,  I now idle at 1400 rpm.  I added more fuel in the low end,  but I am going to go more.   Should be pretty good after that.
Mavericks RC
MFFM

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 12:16:57 AM »

Well,  after getting everything put back together,  I now idle at 1400 rpm.  I added more fuel in the low end,  but I am going to go more.   Should be pretty good after that.
Sounds like you have messed with the cold/warmup idle screw, the warm/hot idle screw, or both.
When the bike is dead cold start it up and see what rpms you have. If the cold rpm is too high or low shut it off asap so unnecessary heat builds up so you can retest after adjustment.
(You may have to back off the hot idle screw because it is confounding the warm up adjustment)
Once you are happy with the cold startup idle speed, let it completely warm...like ride it around for 5 mins. Once completely warm readjust the hot idle speed to 900-1050.
Once this is done unplug the ECM fuse under the righ side cover in the cute black fuse holder for 5mins.
Plug the fuse back in and ride.
THIS ASSUMES THE IDLE - 1500 rpm FUEL MIXTURE IS CLOSE. Gotta be close enough for the mechanical idle speed control (ISC) to work properly.
If you do not have a way to measure AFR and think you will be able to guess your way through a Magneti Marelli idle setup and tune, I can tell you from many years experience working with these MM EFI systems, it will drive you completely nuts trying to figure out how get the thing running right.
There's 100s of threads in the Harley forums out there with folks trying to get it right.
Find a tuner that really knows MM EFI and you will be very happy. Otherwise find an Indy who will convert you to a carb then ride.
Hope this helps,
Bob

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:26 AM »

I am my indy.   I just never adjusted a  MM before.   I never touched the two screws that are covered in epoxy.  I know better than that.   So,  the single t8 screw I have been adjusting,  adjusts both cold and hot idle?
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »

I am my indy.   I just never adjusted a  MM before.   I never touched the two screws that are covered in epoxy.  I know better than that.   So,  the single t8 screw I have been adjusting,  adjusts both cold and hot idle?

No, not and cold idle are separate screws.  Check your service manual or at least visually and specifically look at the bell crank behind the face of the throttle body.  You'll see the other screw back there.  Set them one at a time.  Do the cold idle (assuming you're starting with a cold bike).  Get it where you want it.  Go through the shut down/pull the fuses/wait procedure.  Then do it all again for the regular idle setting. 

I've read service revisions that say this isn't necessary.  Or steps can be handled differently.  But, hundreds of years ago when Marelli first came on the scene, that was the recommended idle setting procedure and it works almost all the time.  I throw in the "almost all the time" because sometimes Marelli bikes are just a little quirky and an idle setting you just changed won't be where you had it.  Then you just do it again.  It doesn't happen often; but once in awhile.....

Since it seems you're tackling this (as a bona fide indy shop) without benefit of manual nor background that has you familiar with the old bikes here's a suggestion to consider.  Just FWIW.  Get a Clymer manual.  They are not factory manuals.  They will once in awhile suffer a little in comparison.  But in some ways they are better.  They're not written so much with the professional audience in mind.  They tend to do a little better sometimes describing the steps and processes in a way that is more for the home wrench.

They've also usually got some pretty good wiring diagrams that are for many easier to read too.  So it's a win-win with that material that an indy shop will need sometime too.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »

I have the manual,  just it's misplaced since we moved.   Well,  I know its idling now,  ha ha.   around 1500 rpm hot.  a little to much for my liking.  1100 would be ideal.   Twolane,  can you send me your email so I can email you a video of the "squeak" in my motor that I have been mentioning?
Mavericks RC
MFFM