Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Still have a misfire and poor throttle response after fuel controller  (Read 14430 times)

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Re: Still have a misfire and poor throttle response after fuel controller
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 06:24:12 AM »

First, the two epoxied screws are nothing more than idle air bleed for each cylinder. If you have a stock engine the is no reason to consider adjust these.
If you have a modified engine the ECM has no way to adjust for the changes.
All you have is a power commander that can add or remove fuel and timing.
Idle control, warm up steps, etc are not adjustable with a power commander.
This is one reason for all the conversions to carbs.
The other reason is a complete misunderstanding how the MM actually works and folks get to twisting screws and end up with a mess. I've seen and corrected many of the MM bikes after too many cook ruined the stew.
Like I said these are very difficult to get right with engine mods..even for the seasoned tuner.
This is why I suggested you have a guy who really understands the system to at least help you with idle speed control through the temp range.
But good luck in any event,
Bob

Thank you bob.  yes my engine is modified.   It is ported with 211 cams. 

This issue I have,  and have mentioned many times is there is NO ONE within traveling distances that is able to work on MM bikes. I know more about the MM fuel injector system than the 2 local dealers, that's why I am learning.  I want to make it run right.  I am very technically minded.   I have a mind for figuring out things.  If I don't know,  I ask.  I am a question asker.   I guess without the scanalyzer I cannot adjust the air bleeds to make it run correctly with my mods.   I am not converting to carb,  that's a step backward in technology that I am done with. 

I have read that a performance inc.  throttle body makes tuning the MM much easier as its a different setup all together.  That is a last ditch effort however.   

I have read about the voltage method of adjusting idle.  how is that any different than setting each idle point using your tach as a guage?   What do I connect my Meter to?  are there leads etc to connect to?  I did raise the warm idle....ALOT,  and I know I did adjust it a fair amount on the screw.  But I guess The bike was not completely warm when I adjusted it I guess.  Pulled the fuses and bam.  1400-1500 rpm warm idle.   Now that I know that I can dial it in better.   

next up is the cold idle.  Another quick question Do I adjust the cold idle first? or does it matter.  I am close to having my warm idle nailed.  At least it stays running when I stop now.  ha ha.

When it gets down to 950 rpm every now and then a loud squeak comes from the front cyl.  I have a video of it,  it sounds the same if there was a digital glitch in the video,  but its my engine.  idle it up and it goes away.  Its like the motor stumbles and a squeak comes out of it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:27:39 AM by kojack »
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »

When it gets down to 950 rpm every now and then a loud squeak comes from the front cyl.  I have a video of it,  it sounds the same if there was a digital glitch in the video,  but its my engine.  idle it up and it goes away.  Its like the motor stumbles and a squeak comes out of it.

could it be that when the idle gets down that low, the vibrations increase, causing the front motor mount rubber to squeak?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

It really sounds like its coming from the intake.....I have a video but no way to post it.
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »

Post your video on YouTube then put the link here :)   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »

Ok,  Another update.  I watched the video and how everything works.  I now have cold/hot idle issues fixed besides my hot idle is a little low for my liking but that's ok.  I can adjust that easy.   Next up is the plug wires to see if that cures the sumple/hesitation etc.  Once I get the plug wires on I will report back.  I will also try to get the video posted as well.  Maybe the plug wires will fix up some more of the issues I have.  I know the bike starts and runs better since correctly adjusting the idle. 
Mavericks RC
MFFM