Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?  (Read 8483 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?
« on: September 26, 2004, 11:10:56 PM »

Got the call today.  A lady friend of mine was coming back from Street Vibrations, up in Reno.  Came around the curve in the mountains, doin about 80 MPH  and the traffic was stopped (due to a fatality a mile up the highway)!  She got on the binders and front brake locked up......the bike went down and so did she.  

She had full leathers on and all she ended up with was a little road rash on the chin, and a broken arm.  She didn't know her arm was broke until we got her bike back to Sacramento, to the dealership that I picked mine up from, yesterday.......then I asked her to go get checked out.  She was resistant, she just thought it was a little swollen, but no big thing.  It was broken.  

Damage to the bike was minamal.....derby cover, crash bar, clutch lever, mirror, saddlebags, etc.  Looks like the crash bar and the saddle bags did a pretty good job of keepin the bike up off the asphalt.

So.......why does HD not include anti-lock brakes on all their bikes?  If they did, she would not have gone down and neither would thousands of other riders, each year.  When you guys are talking to factory reps at the large runs or if you call them about an issue please make this issue a part of your conversation.  

The technology is there, they just need to incorporate it.  That will happen when enough people yell loud enough for it.  Write HD a letter.  We want anti-lock brakes on all models, going forward.

Thanks guys!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 08:33:43 AM »

JC it is out on the police bike this year as an option,  not sure if it will make it to the rest of the bikes next year or not.  The biggest problem is you lose about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the right side saddle bag,  they got to make it smaller.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 10:20:52 AM »

i would expect over time the space required would be less and less
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Dallas

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 02:47:40 PM »

WHY WOULD YOU LOSE ANY OF THE SADDLEBAG  OR ITS SPACE?

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 06:46:28 PM »

I can't think of a mountain road aound here where it's a good idea to run 80 MPH, especially during Street Vibes, and I was born in Reno. IMO, she should look to her own riding habits, and or braking skill (at that speed, in those conditions). I've ridden 4 different Beemer's at distance, all with ABS, and with motor school skills and I can say, even the ABS probably wouldn't have kept her from going down. Too much speed is a big badge of honor, and I've seen it balyhoed on this site, right up until your moment of truth comes!!! [smiley=blank.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 07:58:27 PM »

WHY WOULD YOU LOSE ANY OF THE SADDLEBAG

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 07:58:33 PM »

PCC I know what you're saying however, let's use my accident as an example.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 07:59:47 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 01:24:55 PM »

JC:

My bad, I wasn't reading the site this weekend (out havin fun) and didn't know about the gathering, but know I was there in spirit. By the way your pics look great (a LIMO????). You're looking good!!! By the way, for next year, Freedom Cycle serves free Tri-tip, sald and beans on Sat.. It's the best you'll ever have.

I know what your saying about the accident and I agree, certain situations are just not avoidable, but hey, here we all are riding Harley's instead of BMW's. Yoou know as well as I do that the MOCO could certainly afford to put a sysytem on its bikes...but it's all about profit.

The remark I made about speed was in reference to some of the posts about doing 115 -125 mph on the SEEG's and how great that was and how well they handle. IMO if people want to ride that fast, we should all book some track time. [smiley=bigok.gif]

eddieboy

• write on!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 02:54:45 PM »

This is a great comment, and my number one gripe at H-D, when I do my Thunder Press coverage of their new model offerings (refer: Jan '04 International Motorcycle Show story).

If one looks at what BMW has accomplished with ABS, it is truly phenomenal, and would do more to prevent needless accidents for new riders than a month of Riders Edge courses!

It is truly Harleys biggest shortcoming, and no excuses need apply!
eddieboy

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 04:19:23 PM »

This is a great comment, and my number one gripe at H-D, when I do my Thunder Press coverage of their new model offerings (refer: Jan '04 International Motorcycle Show story).

If one looks at what BMW has accomplished with ABS, it is truly phenomenal, and would do more to prevent needless accidents for new riders than a month of Riders Edge courses!

It is truly Harleys biggest shortcoming, and no excuses need apply!

eddieboy,
what are the rest of the gripes?
Mike

eddieboy

• write on!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 06:51:52 PM »

Ahhh......but then if I told you, what would you read Thunder Press for, right?!? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
eddieboy

mfgreen

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 11:50:20 PM »

Ahhh......but then if I told you, what would you read Thunder Press for, right?!? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
eddieboy, I read each and every issue....try to hear everybodies opinion.....what I was asking was whether or not you have additional gripes other than those expressed on this site or if you had additions to what is expressed on this site.
Mike

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 08:17:11 AM »

Have a friend who has done some testing of the abs with 2 bikes 1 with abs and 1 without abs, the results where not what you would have thought a good rider can accutually stop the bike faster in a controlled skid than abs can(don't know if the system is bleeding off to much pressure?) by 10-20ft.  Was not there for the tests but several others where.  He sent the results to a few people and got some questions form HD about the results (seem they are not happy with his tests) will ask him if I can post it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

eddieboy

• write on!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 02:55:33 PM »

Mike:

If you look up the discussion item on 'heated grips' from a month or two back, there lo and behold is another...GRIPE!

thanks for reading T.P. !

-e [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
eddieboy

mfgreen

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 03:18:09 PM »

Mike:

If you look up the discussion item on 'heated grips' from a month or two back, there lo and behold is another...GRIPE!

thanks for reading T.P. !

-e [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

E-,
That was a gripe of mine in '02.....some things never change with the MoCo.

Consistancy seems to be the forte'.......lately in an AMF sort of way.

Can't enclose a resistance based heating element without proper cooling....idiots.

M

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.